Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Seat Selection

I booked a flight in May for my family (5 of us) MKE to SAN through DEN on the YX website. MKE to DEN is YX, DEN to SAN is F9. I am able to immediately select my seats for YX but not F9 until 24 hours before my flight, according to F9 customer service. Part of the reason I booked early was to make sure we are all seated together. Is there any way to select F9 seats before 24 hours before my flight in this circumstance? Also, do you think there will be stretch seating available on this flight by then (end of May). Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:16 pm

What type of ticket did you buy? Unless you have a Classic or Classic Plus ticket, you will not be able to select your seats until 24 hours prior to departure.

I can't recall what fare class those tickets are, but I'm sure someone will come along with them.

Checko
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

The YX website did not give me a choice of what type of F9 ticket to purchase so I'm assuming they sold me the cheapest and I'm probably stuck and we'll be scattered throughout the cabin! It will probably be a full plane by 24 hours hours before departure. Seems like there should be a better way with these codeshares but I know they are integrating the 2 systems (YX+F9).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Wisconsin
The YX website did not give me a choice of what type of F9 ticket to purchase so I'm assuming they sold me the cheapest and I'm probably stuck and we'll be scattered throughout the cabin! It will probably be a full plane by 24 hours hours before departure. Seems like there should be a better way with these codeshares but I know they are integrating the 2 systems (YX+F9).
A very small % of the passengers on F9 book seats more than 24 hrs in advance. I'm confident that if you check in as early as possible, you will very likely get seats together. The question I wonder about is whether 24 hrs in advance means 24 hrs before your MKE flight departs or 24 hrs before your DEN flight departs.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:44 am

The YX bookings on F9 are economy tickets. You can not book a Classic or Classic Plus ticket (in advance) anywhere else other than F9's website.

To the OP, check in online as close to possible at the 24 hour prior to departure mark, I can assure you will be able to secure 5 seats together for your family. If you wait until you get to the airport, you will significantly reduce your likelihood of securing seats together.

Enjoy SAN!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:46 am

Also Stretch seating will be available on ALL F9 flights (Airbus and E190) effective Feb 1, 2010.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Whenever I check in, their are only a few seats that have been checked in. There is no more than 10 Classic/Elite pax on a given F9 flight. If you check in 24 hours in advance, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the advice! I feel much better.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta SM, Southwest RR, Frontier ER.
I am looking to buy tickets for a family reunion (8 pax), and have flown Delta/NWA in the past, but I am grateful for the SDF to DEN direct flights on Frontier! I plan to use Frontier for this activity in the Summer.

I also appreciate the advice on seating assignments--thank you to all for the insight!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Wisconsin
I booked a flight in May for my family (5 of us) MKE to SAN through DEN on the YX website.
Should have flown AirTran. They offer MKE-SAN nonstop.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

I noticed the FL nonstop, but we wanted YX Signature seating and the YX price was a bit cheaper. Only wish I could select my F9 seats but hopefully it will work out.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Quick question: I'm on F9 DEN-BNA on 2/7/10 with spouse as Classic. We selected seats upon purchasing tickets but I'd like to see whether others are available - seeing no option at all on Frontier's website to change assignments.

Seems strange. Any 411? I'll pick up the phone, but I know Flyertalkers are better sources of info in general...

Update: Called. You can't change them, or view the seating map, online. Seems sort of luddite of F9...

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Feb 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Quick question: I'm on F9 DEN-BNA on 2/7/10 with spouse as Classic. We selected seats upon purchasing tickets but I'd like to see whether others are available - seeing no option at all on Frontier's website to change assignments.

Seems strange. Any 411? I'll pick up the phone, but I know Flyertalkers are better sources of info in general...

Update: Called. You can't change them, or view the seating map, online. Seems sort of luddite of F9...
One of my pet peeves with their web site. You have to call to change seats, makes you wonder why they can't add it to the web site with the amount of calls they are getting.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by German Expat
One of my pet peeves with their web site. You have to call to change seats, makes you wonder why they can't add it to the web site with the amount of calls they are getting.
It used to allow you to change seats, but I do not understand why that changed. I believe they switched over to Sabre from another company a few years ago, so maybe that is why..
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It used to allow you to change seats, but I do not understand why that changed. I believe they switched over to Sabre from another company a few years ago, so maybe that is why..
Sabre allows seat changes so its not the back end. They probably have very limited resources on their IT staff and up to now did not see it as a priority to get it implemented. Also with the different ticket types and now stretch seating its a little more complicated to program.
Having said this I would expect an airline that probably generates most of its business via the Internet to have a function like this available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.