Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes
Reload this Page >

Eligibility for Contest's entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Hi Folks,

I was going thru some contests posted in this site, and seems most are for US residents .. Would it not be a good idea to post it in the subject or atleast the mail the main T& C's .. I guess presently someone needs to go to the contest website and then click on detailed T&C's there..

Am sure this would be covered somewhere, only that I may not hv searched for it correctly..

I also see Void PR written in many subject lines.. wht does tht stand for ??

Sorry for me asking these basic questions.. Hv not used these yet, but plan to

Thanks
Abhi
Old May 27, 2010, 5:41 am

Welcome to the sweepstakes board, Abhi

It has been two or three years since we have had this discussion, so it's probably time to do it again.

You're correct that most of the sweepstakes posted here are open only to residents of the US and/or Canada. The reason for that is quite simple: the overwhelming majority of the marketing firms running sweepstakes are specifically targeting their products to residents of the US and/or Canada, not to people in other parts of the world.

We have begged and begged folks to post travel sweepstakes open in other countries, but those sweepstakes appear to be very, very few and far between. I do not why that is, but I suspect it may be because marketers in other countries do not use sweepstakes as a marketing tool as much as American and Canadian firms do. We in the US are just swamped with sweepstakes - and not just travel related sweepstakes.

As for posting "US residents only" in the subject line, that probably isn't really necessary since it is already pretty clear that most sweepstakes posted here are open only to residents of the US and/or Canada. (That said, posters who post Canadian-only sweeps have been very good about stating that fact in the subject line.) Many posters DO include geographic eligibility in the subject line - usually by noting in which states the sweepstakes is void, while other posters don't. Posting relevant information in subject lines is a matter of personal style, and while it may be helpful to know geographic eligibility before opening a thread, we aren't going to quibble about it since we are grateful for the posting in any way, shape or form we can get it.

I also see Void PR written in many subject lines.. wht does tht stand for ??
Void PR simple means that residents of Puerto Rico are not eligible to enter a particular sweepstakes.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Void PR simple means that residents of Puerto Rico are not eligible to enter a particular sweepstakes.
Thanks for ur detailed reply Flyingmama..
I understand ur views completely and wish there would be more sweepstakes for european/ Asian folks..i m an indian currently on work in Austria and hence wish had more of this..
Also wish that posters can give geographic specific info in the subject line if possibe.. something like only US/ Canada residents etc etc.. similiar to the above Void PR I found on many subject lines..

cheers
Abhi
Old May 27, 2010, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As flyingmama mentioned, since probably 99% of the sweeps posted are valid for US/Canada only, there's no need (in my opinion) to add US/Canada only to the subject line. It wastes space.

When something is Canada only, those posters are good about posting that. On the few that are eligible outside of the US, we do try to mention worldwide.

As many know, I post a lot of sweeps & try to give a snapshop overview of what the prize is, whether it's daily or 1x, and any type of restrictions. But a subject line is only so long.

And it takes a lot of time to find & post the sweepstakes. I try to give an overview of restrictions, but I don't have the time quite frankly to drill down into each & every T&C.
Oftentimes I post the sweep for my fellow FTers before I've even entered them myself.

Hopefully there will be some that you can enter. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.