Search

Where to Stay in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, CO Silver, AAdavantage, USAIR
Where to Stay in Paris

Hi:

I have never been to Paris before, and as such don't know the area and will be going for 5 days in mid-August and am wondering what area and hotels I should stay in. I am hoping to spend less that 250 euros/night. I am a Hyatt Diamond and SPG Gold member, but not limited to those hotel chains. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Dave

Last edited by dave8624; Jun 22, 2009 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: aa co
Paris is divided into 20 districts called arrondisements. Go to this site and get a feel for which districts suit you. http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html Is it important that you be near certain tourist attractions? Do you have business that will require you to be in a particular part of town?
Once you can narrow it down to one or two arrondisements, I would suggest tripadvisor to get some ideas for hotels. You can select a particular arrondisement and read reviews from people who have stayed there. Also ask yourself if you have needs that may limit your choices. Many hotels have no elevator. Do you care? Must the hotel have a restaurant? Some people insist on one, even though it seems there is at least one good restaurant every 10 meters or so.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
When we stayed last year I used venere.com

We eventually stayed in Montmartre area at € 130 but room was very small and I mean closet

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Jun 22, 2009 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, CO Silver, AAdavantage, USAIR
that is what i was afraid of, a closet sized room like in nyc, but its just a room, hopefully will not be in it that often and out exploring. thanks for that website, it really cleared up what all the different areas were, i had no clue what any of it meant.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:18 pm

Ok, now that you got the arr. straightened out you want to hit the RATP site for a map of the metro. If you want to get around easily the metro is the best way. Bus is very nice but it takes a while to figure it out because there are so many lines. And the bus takes a long time. Metro is super fast.

In my humble opinion, it is most ergonomic to stay within walking distance from the yellow line #1. You will be able to reach most any point in Paris by changing trains only once. Plus, many attractions are on line number one anyway. Line #4 (purple) is also important.

The Chatelet station is the central station where most of the lines meet. It is huge and confusing but still practical.

Just to give you a rough idea of walking distances and times. Walking from the Hotel De Ville (almost the geographic center of Paris) to the Arc de Triomphe which is a straight shot, will take you probably just under one hour, if you only walk, no window shopping or checking out the sights.

To the Jardin du Luxembourg it will be around 20 minutes. To the Louvre around 15-20 minutes. To Bastille around 15, too.

Personally, I'd stay close to line 1. That means Marais (4arr), Chatelet (1arr), Bastille (11arr) or Champs (8arr.) Of these, the Marais is the most charming and has tons of boutique hotels, bars, restaurants and shops. It is the SoHo of Paris.

On the other side of the Seine you have St. Germain. Very chic, very expensive and also very charming. Not as practical though as the Marais for traffic connections.

Till
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
more Paris lodging suggestions for a first timer

One thing to know is Paris is not at its best during the middle of August. Many of the locals flee the city for holidays elsewhere. Definitely make sure your hotel room has acclimatization (air conditioning)!

A first timer might have more fun staying on the Left Bank (Rive Gauche in FR). This includes arrondissements 5-7 and 13-15. Each has its own particular flavor. The Latin Quarter (5eme) is lively albeit touristy. I like the St Germain area (6eme) and Montparnasse (15eme) myself. On the other hand some good deals for lodging can be had in Montmartre (18eme).

Hotwire is a good resource for getting a nice hotel at a discount but it requires blind booking. You might do better going through Venere. I'd advise thumbing through TripAdvisor reviews.

HTH,
benzguy80
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dave8624
that is what i was afraid of, a closet sized room like in nyc, but its just a room, hopefully will not be in it that often and out exploring. thanks for that website, it really cleared up what all the different areas were, i had no clue what any of it meant.
Check-out this http://www.parisinsites.com/currentissue.html

If you want something bigger, try http://www.rentals-paris.com/propert...&To=2009/08/31

this looks nice http://www.rentals-paris.com/chanoin.shtml

or a suite hotel https://www.citadines.com/en/france/..._des_pres.html

Bonne chance! ^
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80
One thing to know is Paris is not at its best during the middle of August. Many of the locals flee the city for holidays elsewhere. Definitely make sure your hotel room has acclimatization (air conditioning)!

A first timer might have more fun staying on the Left Bank (Rive Gauche in FR). This includes arrondissements 5-7 and 13-15. Each has its own particular flavor. The Latin Quarter (5eme) is lively albeit touristy. I like the St Germain area (6eme) and Montparnasse (15eme) myself. On the other hand some good deals for lodging can be had in Montmartre (18eme).

Hotwire is a good resource for getting a nice hotel at a discount but it requires blind booking. You might do better going through Venere. I'd advise thumbing through TripAdvisor reviews.

HTH,
benzguy80
Good tips, benzguy. But I must disagree with Paris in August (and July). Those are very good times to travel to Paris, PRECISELY because a lot of Parisians are gone.

Having lived there for five years I can tell you that the Parisians are a pretty tough crowd. So when you have all the Parisians in the city they go onto each others nerves a lot and things get worse from there; like a bad vibe reverberation. In July and August one half of them is gone and cannot bother the remaining half. So those who remain are much easier to deal with. In addition, the other half being replaced by tourists brings even more color to the city and the tourist revenue is welcome. In my experience Parisians are friendlier to tourists than to their own kind.

Of course, your Air Condition argument is perfectly valid. I'd recommend that, too.

Till
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2 Mill - SPG Gold
betterbidding.com will take some of the blindness away from hotwire the westin appears quite often for a reasonable price, and it is in a good location
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Good tips, benzguy. But I must disagree with Paris in August (and July). Those are very good times to travel to Paris, PRECISELY because a lot of Parisians are gone.

Having lived there for five years I can tell you that the Parisians are a pretty tough crowd. So when you have all the Parisians in the city they go onto each others nerves a lot and things get worse from there; like a bad vibe reverberation. In July and August one half of them is gone and cannot bother the remaining half. So those who remain are much easier to deal with. In addition, the other half being replaced by tourists brings even more color to the city and the tourist revenue is welcome. In my experience Parisians are friendlier to tourists than to their own kind.

Of course, your Air Condition argument is perfectly valid. I'd recommend that, too.

Till
you're making Paris sound like NYC

I have to admit I've avoided Paris in August so far, and will thus yield to your observation and experience.

I've heard some of the waiters get really surly when the locals get replaced by tourists in August. maybe this is just travel guide nonsense?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:46 pm

I've actually been pretty lucky when I've been in Paris in August....not exceptionally hot weather and no crabby waiters . Not as many places were closed compared to what I had imagined. My favorite time is the fall though.

But, really, there is no bad time to visit Paris IMHO.

Bobette
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80
you're making Paris sound like NYC

I have to admit I've avoided Paris in August so far, and will thus yield to your observation and experience.

I've heard some of the waiters get really surly when the locals get replaced by tourists in August. maybe this is just travel guide nonsense?
Are you kidding me? New Yorkers are much friendlier than Parisians, be it among themselves or with tourists. There was not a day during my five years there when I didn't either get into a dispute with someone or at least witness a dispute. When I say dispute I mean an altercation anywhere between raising your voice, using swear words and raising hands. No kidding. At times I was happy I wasn't armed because I might have reduced the population for some justifiable euthanasia. (Joking, but it sure would have felt good.)

It's not me, either. In the eight years I have lived in Austin I have been in one such argument and have witnessed maybe two or three at most.

OTOH, I haven't noticed the waiter thing. Depending on the place waiters will have an attitude anyway. There are two ways to deal with that. If you see that the waiter is what can be called friendly for a Paris waiter (he smiles), you can be super charming. The waiter will loosen up and provide good service. Or, if you see the waiter has an attitude (e.g. doesn't look at you while taking your order or even scoffs at your selection), give him an attitude back. Make it very clear that you are the paying customer, ask for some extra stuff to make it more complicated, say "s'il vous plait" and make it sound like you just say that because you know it is required but in reality you know he is your slave. Do not do that with the Maitre D'! Believe it or not, that always worked for me. If you are older than he/she that's even better. Most waiters with an attitude are men, I find.

Till
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Having just gotten back from a 1 week tourist visit, my perception is they're very happy to see anyone these days, especially those spending money. No surly folks that I came across.

I agree with post #5, staying close to Line 1 or Line 4 on the Metro is a good call.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:44 am

OT, but I've found the waiters to be accomodating, but I always greet them with a bonjour and then try to tell them that I don't speak French - in French. they seem to appreciate the effort. I also don't expect them to be real prompt and don't ask for ice in my drink.

little things matter
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:30 am

staying in Paris

Here is a blog that has quite a nice list of ideas of things to do and things to see in Paris http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/category/paris/, they also list apartments for vacation rentals so that may be your solution for accommodation in Paris. I have used them in the past and they are serious + their agents can give good advice for any other question you may have. Paris is a beautiful city and well worth visiting. In August most Parisians are away on holiday but you will see many other tourists enjoying the sites throughout the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.