Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transport tips to see cave paintings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
it worked out to fly from CDG to BOD but with return to ORY early enough to have time to check-in and head out for dinner. did not seem worth it to fly back to CDG and go all the way into town but did not want to miss out on an evening in Paris!! I am somewhat bummed that we aren't taking the TGV, but with a compressed schedule it makes sense to just fly to Bordeaux instead and rent a car for our touring.

first night in Dordogne we're staying in Perigueux, which seems to be on the way from BOD to Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil

next day should be a quick drive from Periguex to Les Eyzies where we'll tour Grotte de Font-de-Gaume and Musee National de Prehistoire before heading off to Sarlat-la-Caneda.

hope to partake of the Saturday market at Sarlat mentioned here. is it mainly gastronomy or are there other things offered?

also plan to drive over to see Rocamadour. any suggestions about how much time one would typically spend here?

merci beaucoup to all who have made suggestions. I have my Michelin Green Guide (thanks Robyn for that tip), my GPS with European maps (a must!), and a hunger for foie gras.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:47 pm
In memoriam

Keep in mind that many restaurants in Paris are closed on Sunday. Robyn
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
Keep in mind that many restaurants in Paris are closed on Sunday. Robyn
that should help narrow things down

we're staying near Place de l'Etoile. suggestions welcome, preferably for nearby places.

merci

PS: sorry to have taken this thread off-topic
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:44 pm
In memoriam

Two suggestions. Sign up for Zagat's on line or buy a copy. I am pretty sure it has a list of restaurants open on Sundays. Or go over to eGullet and ask or read threads in the section about France (I think there's a "sticky" there on the subject of places open on Sunday).

P.S. to the moderator. I have no proprietary interest in Flyertalk or eGullet. I just think the former is more comprehensive when it comes to travel plans - and the latter is more comprensive when it comes to food. I frequently tell people there to come here when they are interested in ideas about hotels and the like. And I hope you don't mind my doing the reverse. Robyn
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:46 pm
In memoriam

How much do you want to spend for dinner? And what level of dining are you looking for? Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.