Provence, via Lyon rather than Nice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

We've vacationed in Provence several times. We enjoyed ST Remy de Provence, Vaison la Romaine, Gordes, Roussillon and St Saturnin, les Apt.
We've landed in Nice , spending a few days there and nearby areas. then we drive to St Remy.

We'd like to skip the Nice part, and the drive, this spring and head to the villages. We've got plenty of US DM for Star Alliance, but thought we might shell out $$$ for a direct flight to France, from the East coast. How would Lyon be for a starting point? I think most people start in Nice or Marseille.

How's the drive from Lyon?
Might spend a night or two in Lyon since we would be there. How's the Hilton, since I don't think I'll have any chance to use HH points in the small Villages.

Any other suggestions will be welcome.

thanks, Jim
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There aren't too many TATL flights from LYS, so I wouldn't bother with them and would instead choose to fly to MRS which is a very nice airport and a beautiful city in which it's well worth staying for a couple of days. Lufthansa is the only *A airline to fly into MRS, but they do so from no fewer than four German cities, so you should have a fair bit of choice whether flying on a revenue ticket or with miles.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:08 am

I have flown to Lyon .. with LH or BA, not sure. From the US you have to connect in LHR, CDG, FRA. There are non-stop flights to Nice. I have never flown it, never got a flight with miles.
Lyon is a pretty big airport. Rented a car with Avis and went South. Lyon to ST Remy de Provence is about 250 Km, mostly Autoroute A7. However, I wouldn't go all the way on A7. There are nice villages along the road.

Lyon is worth a stop, very interesting town. We stayed at the Hilton. Very nice, modern hotel, next to Interpol, a river and a park. It's not in the city center .. about 15 min. by car.

Next time I may go to CDG - and take TGV to Aix-en-Provence, which is a very nice town.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: nwa
Smile Provence via CDG and TGV

I found it easier to get WP FF trips into Paris than Nice or Marseille.

One 50k WP rt into CDG for mid-May was a challenge to get considering the free passes don't come available for approx. 355 days before departure. Got mine in July '07. Sorry to say it took me several years to learn the NW WP system to get this freebee.

Back to Provence. Going on the TGV train is marvelous. Took it from MRS to Nice back in '01. Suggest 1st class ticket to avoid the coach smells and sights. I booked train tickets thru the internet and found it quite easy. Also, rebooking tickets in France was easy. I failed by not knowing how to read the train arriv/depart boards in Marseille's busy station. It almost cost me on missing out on a major Jazz concert in Nice.

I favor the Provence/Riviera region from Cassis to St. Raphael. Trains follow the coast in that area and the views are marvelous. Here's a link for the Office of Tourism.
http://www.saint-raphael.com/OTSR_EN...5/Default.aspx

Bon Voyage
Old Dec 9, 2008, 1:34 am

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
My advice would be to take the TGV, either from Lyon or from Paris as you prefer, and get off either at Aix-en-Provence or Avignon.

I've no experience flying into Lyon and I've always TGV'd Provence from Paris, getting off at Avignon. All the big car rental companies have offices at the station, less than 5 minutes à pied once you get off the train. As for car hire preference, Avis partners with the SNCF and the advantage of that is that in some of the smaller provincial towns if you plan to arrive out of office hours e.g. on the last train Avis will leave the rental papers and key for the car at the station ticket desk. Personally I've found that very useful.

One other tip for you (and I must be mad sharing this with everyone....I'll probably never find a vacant room there ever again...) my personal favourite refuge in the region for M, Mme and Mlle Simon78300 (20 minutes by car from Avignon TGV station but in reality in another world) is here:

http://www.hostellerie-la-magnaneraie.com/

However you finally decide to get to Provence, I wish you a wonderful vacation. If you do stay at La Magnaneraie, you'll be thoroughly spoiled....you'll never want to go back to a Hilton!

Bon courage

Sim.

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; Dec 9, 2008 at 1:48 am
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: FB,BA,M&M,Privilege
I was in Lyon last weekend. Nice city. Airport is OK functionally but is only served by connections from the bigger carriers. I don't think that there is a direct transatlantic flight. TGV station is walking distance from the main terminal and is well served. May also be worth looking at direct TGV trains from CDG Terminal 2 as services do run direct to Marseilles and Nice that by-pass central Paris ie no station to station dash across central Paris. First class is really good value. Saves the hard earnt miles and the layover at the airport.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by newgroundhogbrit
I don't think that there is a direct transatlantic flight.
wrong, DL has a nonstop flight to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.