Is RER safe?

Old Dec 15, 08, 7:26 am
iff

Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
Thanks for the posts about the Air France "les cars" coach. This worked out very nicely, depositing me with luggage near Charles de Gaulle Etoile. Round trip of 22e was well spent in my viewpoint. Nicer than hassling with RER B and very comfortable/secure.
Glad to hear it worked well for you! Really, it's only a few euros more than the RER and a comfortable, simple way to get back and forth. It's especially nice to have the air conditioning when the weather is warm.
Old Dec 15, 08, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
At that time of the day, neither CDG nor ORY is a safety issue . Another option from Montparnasse would be AF coaches.
Thanks for the heads-up.
AF coaches would indeed be an added option.
Old Dec 15, 08, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
..... Air France runs a clean, safe bus (Line #4) every 30 minutes from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. ...... Here's a link with info, including a map of the pick-up spot at Montparnasse (hit the link, then click at bottom on "Lines" then go to Line 4):

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...rameHeight=600
Thanks for the info and link.
Old Dec 25, 08, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw View Post
A US issued credit/debit card will not work in the kiosks. Save 8.40 euro coins per person and a few Metro tickets when you go home--the kiosks will take euro coins but not bills. In fact, the RER tickets lines while in Paris en route to CDG can be just as bad as outbound CDG, so save coins for both going home to the US this trip and coming back next time and you will be set.

Home tomorrow.

Note that the kiosks at CDG do accept US issued credit/debit cards. I haven't had any problem with paying with my Visa debit and Master credit. Just used the kiosk with US credit card a few hours ago at CDG and no problem at all.

Also, I second taking limited-stop train. Another option could be Roissy Bus which drops off and picks up at L'Opera Garnier and cheaper than AF coach.

CORRECTION: After coming back from the U.S. today, I used my US issued debit card to purchase a ticket at one of the kiosks and it did not work. I used another kiosk next to it and it worked. So not all the kiosks accept US cards.

Last edited by N227UA; Dec 29, 08 at 11:49 am
Old Dec 25, 08, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by N227UA View Post

Another option could be Roissy Bus which drops off and picks up at L'Opera Garnier and cheaper than AF coach.
I gave up on the Roissy bus as they made no useful provision for luggage-it all goes on the bus, unlike AF which stows it under the bus. As a result, some passengers keep it in the aisle near them and everyone climbs over everyone else. The last Roissy bus I was on, a gal took her seat in row 1 and left her big bag in the aisle for all to circumnavigate. The driver did nothing.

I'd probably take the Roissy bus again if getting to Opera had a clear edge, but otherwise, I've found AF worth the extra Euros.
Old Dec 25, 08, 4:01 pm
iff

I gave up on the Roissy bus as they made no useful provision for luggage-it all goes on the bus, unlike AF which stows it under the bus. As a result, some passengers keep it in the aisle near them and everyone climbs over everyone else. The last Roissy bus I was on, a gal took her seat in row 1 and left her big bag in the aisle for all to circumnavigate. The driver did nothing.

I'd probably take the Roissy bus again if getting to Opera had a clear edge, but otherwise, I've found AF worth the extra Euros.
That's been my experience as well, and if I'm tired and there aren't any seats left I don't enjoy having to stand during the entire ride into Paris. It depends on my destination, but all else being equal, the AF bus is only 4-5 euros more and well worth it.
Old Dec 25, 08, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by iff View Post
That's been my experience as well, and if I'm tired and there aren't any seats left I don't enjoy having to stand during the entire ride into Paris. It depends on my destination, but all else being equal, the AF bus is only 4-5 euros more and well worth it.
Same here, except when I am staying at IC Le Grand, when I can look forward to a very pleasant stay .
Old Dec 26, 08, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Jumping on the thread to ask why the RER B was so messed up today (12/16). We waited for almost 45 minutes for a train at Terminal 3, and then it ended its run at Gare du Nord, and turned back to CDG. The train was PACKED with people, all of whom got off at GDN, and were then trying to figure out how to find the RER B that would continue their journey. We bailed and got a #4 Metro to St. Michel, and that was also packed almost beyond tolerance. The worst I've ever seen on the RER/Metro.
Old Dec 26, 08, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Jumping on the thread to ask why the RER B was so messed up today (12/16). We waited for almost 45 minutes for a train at Terminal 3, and then it ended its run at Gare du Nord, and turned back to CDG. The train was PACKED with people, all of whom got off at GDN, and were then trying to figure out how to find the RER B that would continue their journey. We bailed and got a #4 Metro to St. Michel, and that was also packed almost beyond tolerance. The worst I've ever seen on the RER/Metro.
Irregular, small in scope SNCF strikes that target some suburban lines. When they impact RER line B, the interconnection at Gare du Nord between the Northern part, operated by SNCF, and the Southern part, operated by RATP, is suspended. Trains arriving from the North then arrive at the main part of Gare du Nord, on street level, rather than at the underground station, where the tracks go on South on the RATP network.
Old Dec 26, 08, 5:28 pm
iff

Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
Irregular, small in scope SNCF strikes that target some suburban lines. When they impact RER line B, the interconnection at Gare du Nord between the Northern part, operated by SNCF, and the Southern part, operated by RATP, is suspended. Trains arriving from the North then arrive at the main part of Gare du Nord, on street level, rather than at the underground station, where the tracks go on South on the RATP network.
It's been going on for something like a week now, I think. Kind of a pain, especially in the midst of a very busy holiday travel season.
Old Dec 27, 08, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been going on for something like a week now, I think. Kind of a pain, especially in the midst of a very busy holiday travel season.
Wow! Are the RER travel updates posted online somewhere? I surfed the web for awhile yesterday and couldn't find anything. Now I'm thinking of bailing for my trip back to CDG on the 4th and just taking a taxi instead!
Old Dec 27, 08, 3:12 am
iff

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Wow! Are the RER travel updates posted online somewhere? I surfed the web for awhile yesterday and couldn't find anything. Now I'm thinking of bailing for my trip back to CDG on the 4th and just taking a taxi instead!
http://www.ratp.info/orienter/trafic.php

http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...ic/trafic-jour

http://www.abcdtrains.com/

All are in French only and usually give you the current status rather than advance notice of upcoming situations.

RER B seems to be running normally today.
Old Dec 27, 08, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
http://www.ratp.info/orienter/trafic.php

http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...ic/trafic-jour

http://www.abcdtrains.com/

All are in French only and usually give you the current status rather than advance notice of upcoming situations.

RER B seems to be running normally today.
I've always been able to decipher the status using Babel Fish:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
Old Dec 29, 08, 11:33 am

Programs: UA
I've seen a lot of security-including soldiers with drawn machine guns-in stations, especially St. Michel. I've never seen any actually on the trains, but they might be there from time to time.
The RATP has its own police force that regularly patrols the more traffic lines especially RER B to and from CDG.
Old Dec 30, 08, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N227UA View Post
Note that the kiosks at CDG do accept US issued credit/debit cards. I haven't had any problem with paying with my Visa debit and Master credit. Just used the kiosk with US credit card a few hours ago at CDG and no problem at all.
Worked for me as well. I arrived about 40c short for the two tickets we neeeded in cash, so even went and bought a candy bar to get some change. Then I thought "Try the credit card first". I got out all 3, put in the debit/Master Card first and bingo, it worked. It certainly has no chip either. I think this is the first time the CCs have worked in similar ticket machines in France, so who knows.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 30, 08 at 8:56 am

Search this Thread