Search

Help with Paris flea market; Les Puces de Paris Saint-Ouen

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Help with Paris flea market; Les Puces de Paris Saint-Ouen

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Paris in june and I will be there over the weekend and I wanted to visit the flea market (Les Puces de Paris Saint-Ouen). Is is worth going? I would be scheduling my day around it (I have been to Paris one time prior but would forgo a trip to Versailles for this). I have read mixed reviews (prices too high, it is now too popular) on it. My interest is in some of the old confit jars pottery and home dec items (no furniture or clothes). Any insight would be appreciated (or tips). Thanks
Old May 24, 2007, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I was just there yesterday. Huge and containing everything imaginable, but don't expect to find any bargains. The vendors know the valuations quite well, and charge full price. Bargaining is possible, but even so prices will be high (2-3x the US price, though lots of items are unique so there isn't a direct comparison). It is a real mixture of stuff, making finding something specific difficult until the find the right vendor (there are thousands); but some are very organized, with extensive files.
Old May 24, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
St. Ouen

St.Ouen is enormous, but it's actually a collection of smaller named markets.
The best two for your purposes are probably Vernaison, 1st on the right after entering rue de Rosiers, the main market street, and Paul Bert, the last on the left at the far end of rue de Rosiers. Some of the prices are very high, but make sure you see the things at Batchelder in Paul Bert for farm kitchen stuff. For the best prices, you might be better off at Porte de Vanves, or the street brocantes, but those are always hit or miss.
Old May 26, 2007, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Thanks all. I will follow your advice and the farm kitchen stuff sounds like it is up my alley. I like the French primitives (old signs, house numbers, tools to harvest grapes, wood bowls, pots etc...). It sounds like it may be worth the day just to see ALL of the stuff. Thanks again.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Flea Market updates?

Hello --
Do we have any updates on the market, or other markets such as Porte de Vanves or Porte de Montreuil? Some of the reviews for Saint-Ouen state that it is quite dodgy these days. Is that accurate? Are there other more "local" marche aux puces that don't show up in a Google search?

Thanks
Cheers

Edit: Found this in a different thread - do we have info on the hidden markets? Member is suspended so I cannot contact him/her

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Having just read through the first thread, I'll admit that virtually all the things I would suggest are there.

When I would visit Paris, I would usually focus on a different theme every time. Some possible themes:
13. Hidden Markets and Streets of Paris: e.g. Village Saint Paul, Rue de Commerce
14. Wine Paris: Musee de vin, Juvenile's, Caves LeGrand, + tons more
15: Paris from Above: Tour Montparnasse, Parc Andre Citroen balloon, Montmartre.

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 10, 2018 at 8:18 am Reason: more data
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
It all depends on what you are looking for. I rarely go to St-Oeun, it is mainly for the tourists and for big pieces.

And it depends on when you are coming. Here is one:

Foire de Chatou - Antiquités, brocante, galeries d'art, produits du terroir

Here is a listing of various flea markets and "garage sales", the more you attend the better you get.

https://vide-greniers.org/75-Paris?_otid=home-select (you have to check the site and see where there is a market, some are organized by a professional company, others are normal people). I prefer going there than to St Oeun.

The ones that oenophilist listed are local streets, and not flea markets.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Village Sainte-Paul is lovely and well worth a visit but, as Yahillwe says, it is definitely not a flea market. It is a beautiful little area though and I love just strolling around there.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Paris is full of small alleyways and streets, never be afraid to just mandarine through them. There is always something new to discover. Just note down the area for your future visits.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Paris is full of small alleyways and streets, never be afraid to just mandarine through them.
I love Rue Cler. Definitely not a flea market but the vibrancy and atmosphere is worthy of a stroll. The restaurants, wine stores, meat & cheese shops there are also fascinating.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:23 pm

Thanks all. I've spent days just wandering through Paris's streets and getting lost and enjoying all of it. I was to/from Paris b/f the replies but I will look at the suggestions for my nest trip.

I did make it to Les Puces de Paris Saint-Ouen and it was fine to walk through --- despite the front desk agents telling how "bad" an area it was in. Some of the antiques were neat, so was some of the junk. I wouldn't put it at the top of a Paris itinerary but I wouldn't say not to go if someone was looking for something different.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stampy
I love Rue Cler. Definitely not a flea market but the vibrancy and atmosphere is worthy of a stroll. The restaurants, wine stores, meat & cheese shops there are also fascinating.
It is nice to see the street (very short) from a tourist's eyes. I take it for granted.

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Thanks all. I've spent days just wandering through Paris's streets and getting lost and enjoying all of it. I was to/from Paris b/f the replies but I will look at the suggestions for my nest trip.

I did make it to Les Puces de Paris Saint-Ouen and it was fine to walk through --- despite the front desk agents telling how "bad" an area it was in. Some of the antiques were neat, so was some of the junk. I wouldn't put it at the top of a Paris itinerary but I wouldn't say not to go if someone was looking for something different.
Can't believe your concierge, St Ouen is an ok area, nothing bad about it. There are some VERY good restaurants there. And one (food wise mediocre) but atmosphere incredible. Right smack in the middle of the puce. An accordion guy strolled around and place his music. Another one is excellent, the vegetables in his restaurant are grown in the area. Another one, you have to reserve a week in advance. And the Marche is wonderful, but the prices are geared for the tourists unless you are a local decorator. I really don't know what area of the puce you went to.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:40 pm

Burning through my Hyatt points at the Vendome b/f I lose my Globalist status and it was the front desk rather than the concierge making the comments. Desk agent asked what my plans were in Paris as I was checking in (small talk) and I stated I want to go to the flea market --- She absolutely did not approve. It got worse when I said I was going to St Denis too while I was in the area.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Can't believe your concierge, St Ouen is an ok area, nothing bad about it. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.