Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy champagne in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Where to buy champagne in Paris?

Recently, I read a thread in Dining Buzz about buying vintage champagne. Someone posted that he buys certain years to commemorate important events.

I would like to buy a bottle of Dom for my son's 21st birthday. This is also a perfect excuse for me to make a trip to Paris.

Any suggestions on where to look for a good selection of champgagne?

Last edited by bamboola; Oct 10, 2006 at 3:28 am
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:champagne

I'm not sure that buying 21 year old champagne is a good idea. However, for cognacs and brandies, there's a wonderful store for vintage items:Auge, Blvd
[email protected]stin.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
What vintage are you looking for? 1995 and 1996 are readily available almost anywhere.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Champagne is generally cheaper and available with greater selection in the US than in Paris. If you were wanting to get your son's birth year, first you have to find out if that was declared as a vintage year (but lately every 2nd year is declared vintage, the business is too important); and then find a champagne that has aged well. Great champagne can last 100 years, but only under special cellaring conditions, and the previous poster is right, most 21 year old champagnes would not be good. Bollinger RD would be a good one to start with. Krug would be a lot better than Dom (however also double the price) for 21+ yo. One place to check on the internet to get you started is http://www.internetwines.com though there are lots of other sources.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willie--wonka
I'm not sure that buying 21 year old champagne is a good idea. However, for cognacs and brandies, there's a wonderful store for vintage items:Auge, Blvd
[email protected]stin.
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my son hasn't acquired a taste for cognac or armagnac.

Hubby and I would always open a bottle of champagne on our son's birthday and my son has loved the bubbles since his first birthday.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Francophile and #6

I'm looking for 1987. Maybe I should look for 2005 instead - the year he graduated from high school.

I'll check out your suggested web site. Silly me, but I just assumed that champagne would be cheaper in France.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Try Krug. If you get their NV, you won't have to worry if it will be good or not
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:57 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
In Paris, I always go to two shops to purchase my wines:

1. Caves Taillevent, a wine cellar and store owned by Monsieur Vrinat, the
proprietor of the venerable haute cuisine institution Taillevent. Not cheap, but not outrageous pricing -- very fair prices for an extensive selection of tipples. Note that all bottles on display are empty; and ask for a tour of the "cave" downstairs. Monsieur Vrinat's private cabinet is a sight to behold.

In the Rue du Faubourg St. Honore, on the end closer to the Arc de Triomphe, and just a few doors down from Taillevent's more casual sister restaurant L'Angle du Faubourg.

2. Lavinia, purportedly Europe's largest wine store. A vast space with wines
at all price points and a very helpful staff to navigate you through the thousands of labels they carry. An extensive array of prestige wines are downstairs.

In the Boulevard de Madeleine, near the Opera House.

3. Also check out Fauchon and Hediard in the Place de la Madeleine as well.

4. In the US, I found D&M in San Francisco to be outstanding. Excellent selection of rare champagnes and really excellent houses without brand cachet at excellent prices. Here I found Salon Le Mesnil and Deutz Rose for New Year's...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bamboola
I'm looking for 1987. Maybe I should look for 2005 instead - the year he graduated from high school.

I'll check out your suggested web site. Silly me, but I just assumed that champagne would be cheaper in France.
The champagne business is tightly managed and price has no bearing on quality. Unfortunately for you 1987 is a rare poor year (half as good as 1988, which was fabulous, and maybe the worst year of the decade). Lots of houses didn't declare a vintage in 1987, but a few did. This means prices will be much lower but also no good shop will be carrying any 1987, so finding some will take some doing.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Legrand Filles et Fils in the 2nd arr. has a good selection. Much smaller than Lavinia, which is huge, but also exclusively and authentically French. They sometimes have good deals on rare producers too.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no 75cl bottles of french '87 listed on winesearcher pro world wide. odds on, not findable.

2005 is a similar problem, as if declared, it has not yet been released. will not until 07 or 08.

20 year old champagne is an acquired taste, and if originally bottled in 91 or 92, will not be much of a thrill in my opinion. most 20 year old that is a big deal comes out on a re-release in the few years prior to consumption.

time in bottle can pretty much be determined by the behavior of the pulled cork.

5 years in the bottle, and the cork is rock hard, and does not expand.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who posted replies.

Luxury - I will check out the places you recommended. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Champagne prices better at CDG than in city?

I'm planning to bring home 4 bottles of champagne from Paris. Are prices at CDG duty free better than buying the same bottle in the city? I'm departing from terminal 2A.

I guess one advantage of buying at the airport is not having to check them in your luggage, since they provide sealed security bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.