Search

CDG is such a dump

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
CDG is such a dump

Terminal 1, I guess 2 is better.

But, my God, what a hole. Third World at best. Furniture is ratty, floors are horrid, and it smells.

Is this thing going to be torn down any time soon?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrz518
Third World at best.
Some of the most modern airports in the world (though not necessarily the bests) are in the Third World eg KUL

And I dont understand the concept of having so many "independent" terminals at CDG. I find the AMS concept of having a central plaza with different "sub-terminals" more user-friendly.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I feel a kind of affection for CDG. It's screwy, but I kind of get it.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Well, Terminal 1 is the oldest... It was a revolution in design when it was built... Tastes change.

I don't mind CDG: By now I almost know every nook and cranny and I like it for connecting flights.
AMS I have never liked as every time I had a connection, the gate I was supposed to go seemed always to be the farthest of them all. Miles of walking... Each his own taste.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrz518
Terminal 1, I guess 2 is better.

But, my God, what a hole. Third World at best. Furniture is ratty, floors are horrid, and it smells.

Is this thing going to be torn down any time soon?
Bad it may be, but it beats LHR anytime.

mike
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Bad it may be, but it beats LHR anytime.

mike
^ ^
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I love terminal 1 if you can see past the layer of dust and grime it is a revolutionary architectual design. It's so 1960s Kubrick, Barbarella, The Jetsons and I think reflects the spirt and hope of jet travel from that time. It is easy to get about the terminal and everything is logically placed. I have never suffered the delays at terminal 1 that I have at terminal 2. That said, in what I perceive as a great tradition for French "grand travaux", it suffers from the "build it and forget it" syndrome. It has fallen into great disrepair and should have been renovated ages ago. Fortunately renovations have begun and it should be returned to its former glory in the next few years.

Terminal 2 is nice if you are in the newer Air France terminals that are very open and airy with the high uninterrupted ceiling and large glassed walls. The older terminal 2 buildings are similar in design but the checkin area is much smaller causing pedistrain flow problems and the inside of the terminal is more cluttered with small structures. They also are starting to show signs of "build it and forget it" as they are falling into disrepair and need a thorough cleaning which I would assume will not happen any time soon.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Cdg

Second that ^ ^ .And my partner LOVES the smoking room at the CDG RCC.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Ahhh Terminal 1, aka The Human Habitrail

Terminal 1 is a dump. Plain and simple. Add in the marvelous French "efficiencies" at Passport Control and you get all the downsides of a 3rd world country with none of the fun adventures.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:39 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by winkydink
Terminal 1 is a dump. Plain and simple. Add in the marvelous French "efficiencies" at Passport Control and you get all the downsides of a 3rd world country with none of the fun adventures.
Fly into SFO and get a nostalgic whiff of what it was like in a totalitarian state such as China and the Soviet Union and of a police state ŕ la Berlin 1938...

Paris anytime
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:29 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by winkydink
speaking of passport efficiencies, we are thinking of arriving at 9:20am on a UA flight from the states, is it likely that we would be able to make a 10:35am on Air France flying from CDG-NCE or should I just book the later flight at 12:25?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:55 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I've never spent more than 10-15 minutes in Passport Control at CDG, but I assume you will have to change terminals and if so, that seems to be cutting it close--your UA flight could easily be 20 minutes late, and UA won't check you in for an AF flight. On the other hand, EVERY AF flight I've taken in the last 2 years has been late, so maybe it's an acceptable risk.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:19 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
speaking of passport efficiencies, we are thinking of arriving at 9:20am on a UA flight from the states, is it likely that we would be able to make a 10:35am on Air France flying from CDG-NCE or should I just book the later flight at 12:25?
I don't think you'll have any problem making the connection. When coming or going to/from ATL and going to ZRH, we seldom have more time and always made it, and this since 7 years at the rate of once to twice a month. If UA at the point of departure does not want to issue you with a bc for the CDG-NCE leg, just call AF. They always have been helpful.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Well, UA arrives at Terminal 1 and AF uses Terminal 2 - I'd go fo the later 12:25 flight.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:21 am
BCH

Connecting from UA to AF at CDG

As soon as you exit your UA flight, look for ANY agent around (they're scarce!) and ask to be directed to the nearest connector bus to Air France terminal. These buses pick you up at the gate, within the secured area, and bus to the secured area of terminal 2.

This is not to be confused, though, with the public shuttles going outside of the secured area. They also go between terminals, but here you'd have to go through Customs & Immigration first, and then again through Security and Passport Control. Save yourself precious time, and take the shuttle from the arrivals gate.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.