Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations in 5th/6th arrondissements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant recommendations in 5th/6th arrondissements?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2004, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Question Restaurant recommendations in 5th/6th arrondissements?

Hi all,

I'm organizing a small workshop in Paris at the end of August. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in or around the 5th/6th arrondissements (Latin Quarter and St Germain)? Ideally, one that's conducive to conversation. (Er, the academic, rather than the romantic, kind!)

The practical details: ~15 people, price range preferably 30-40 Euros p.p. (not including alcohol), style is open (but we're in Paris so we must eat French, non?) . Another option, I suppose, is to arrange a pre-set menu (given that we're a large group)...never done this before so don't know how easy or difficult that would be. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

musiclover
Old Aug 10, 2004, 6:10 am

The problem is, of course, that the overwhelming majority of restaurants in that area are smaller places where the kitchen isn't well-suited to serving 15 people simultaneously. There are some larger places (such as Procope, which I don't recommend at all), but those I'm familiar with all fail the conducive-to-conversation test.

It's a bit outside the 6th, but the 1st-floor restaurant at Le Meridien Montparnasse (this is the more casual restaurant, not the fancy one on the top floor) might meet your needs. The restaurant is large and divided into sections, and I would very much suspect that they could create a private space for you. For dinner, this restaurant offers (or at least used to offer) an extensive buffet that should be within your price range. The big advantage of the buffet is that everyone gets to choose what they eat, and there are no issues with menus, etc. (On the other hand, it's pretty far removed from the archetypical, Tour d'Argent-type French restaurant.)
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
For such a large amount of people, a Brasserie is most recommended unless you absolutely want to eat in a hotel restaurant.

I am quite familiar with Le Balzar.

http://www.hotels-exclusive.com/part...enairesgbf.htm

you might want to check them out. Their menus are very good and priceworthy as well as a huge ŕ la carte to choose from. This will really be France. I have noticed that they also advertize other brasseries, they are good also but I have not been to the other ones since a while. They are used to larger groups but advance notice will be better as it is quite popular everyday. Pay also attention to their specialties. They usually offer specialties from different regions of France, worth a try.

Bon appétit
Old Aug 10, 2004, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by magexpect
For such a large amount of people, a Brasserie is most recommended unless you absolutely want to eat in a hotel restaurant.

I am quite familiar with Le Balzar.

http://www.hotels-exclusive.com/part...enairesgbf.htm

you might want to check them out. Their menus are very good and priceworthy as well as a huge ŕ la carte to choose from. This will really be France. I have noticed that they also advertize other brasseries, they are good also but I have not been to the other ones since a while. They are used to larger groups but advance notice will be better as it is quite popular everyday. Pay also attention to their specialties. They usually offer specialties from different regions of France, worth a try.

Bon appétit
The link goes to a hotel.

Looked at Google and found this:

http://www.whitings-writings.com/bis...ews/balzar.htm

Le Balzar, 49 rue des Ecoles, 5th Arrond. Tel:01.43.54.13.67 M° St. Michel
Old Aug 10, 2004, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
A wonderful restaurant in the 6th is La Bastide Odeon, that we originally found in Patricia Wells's book, and enjoy on every Paris visit.
The food is superb and the waitstaff excellent.
It is smallish, as stated above for Paris restaurants, but last month we were 7 people with no problem. Perhaps they could seat 2 such tables adjoining? There is also an upstairs area that may be larger.
The price range is about what you stated. www.bastide-odeon.com
Old Aug 10, 2004, 6:22 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Technically, its in the 14th (Blvd. Montparnasse is the dividing line between the 6th and 14th), but I'd recommend La Coupole.

It's one of the "monument" restaurants of Paris, has a fixed menu available at dinner (about 32euros and including wine, IIRC) and, more importantly, seats 300+ people. It's quite a spectacle, but worth a visit. Shouldn't have a problem handling a reservation for 15 or so.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 2:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Originally Posted by USAFAN
The link goes to a hotel.

Looked at Google and found this:

http://www.whitings-writings.com/bis...ews/balzar.htm

Le Balzar, 49 rue des Ecoles, 5th Arrond. Tel:01.43.54.13.67 M° St. Michel
Sorry about that, I thought the link would go directly. One has to click Partenaires and Brasserie Flo...
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:47 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I can recommend Moulin a Vent Chez Henri in the 5th (near Jussieu metro) for a great meal. Many local Parisians swear that they serve the best entrecote steak in the city here; unfortunately, it is not very large, it can get very smoky, and it can get very noisy. However, the food is great......

YOu could also try La Coupole in Montparnasse; Brasserie Bofinger at Place de la Bastille in the 10th; or Le Deux Magots at St. Germain de Pres....... Le Recamier is also good, IIRC, also in the 6th, has wonderful atmosphere, service can be haughty, and it can cost more than your budget per person depending upon what people order. However, the restaurant is in a small alleyway and has a large dining terrace which is spectacular in the summer..... and the food is quite good.

Good luck and do let us know how you fare (pun unintended)...
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I dont think 15 would be a problem for Brasserie Lipp. They are across the street from Le Duex Magots and I think have much better food.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
La Procope (I think) is the oldest restaurant in Paris, dating back to 1600-something. It's in either the 5th or 6th. I seem to walk by it very often, but I can't tell you exactly where it is, but you can access it along a very neat passage that has loads of restaurants. But the Procope is easily large enough to handle 15.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I agree with Stimpy. Le Procope can accommodate a party of your size. The restaurant is in the 6th, and the nearest Metro stop is Odeon. The Le Procope website is http://www.procope.com/anglais/default.htm. You can see a sample menu, maps and directions, etc.

I used to frequent Le Procope for dinner (but have not been here recently) when I used to visit a good friend who lived a few blocks away. My friend said that Benjamin Franklin once ate at Le Procope. I don't know if that is true or not. We did however give Le Procope the nickname of "Ben's Place", and we still call it that today!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks, everybody!

This is why I love FT!

Last edited by musiclover; Aug 17, 2004 at 12:14 am
Old Aug 13, 2004, 3:57 am

Concerning the Procope, I agree with the earlier poster that it has gone downhill. We had dinner there in April and the food was industrial and ill-prepared. Certainly not worth the money, even with the décor.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Concerning the Procope, I agree with the earlier poster that it has gone downhill.
Exactly my experience as well: both courses in the meal I had last year were way over-salted. I don't know if this was just an off-night for the kitchen or a more pervasive problem, and I'm unlikely to return to find out.

I would point out to the OP that I found Procope to be a particularly noisy place, due to the architecture and large numbers of people. This might either be charming or annoying, depending on one's perspective.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I was interested in Procope but certainly less so after reading this. I have been to Brasserie Lipp on several occassions and always found the food to be excellent brasserie food. I was originally attracted to it when I heard it was where Mitterand would take his mistress for dinner once a week or so. I found that appealing for some reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.