Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour de France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Tour de France

I just realized that our trip to Paris is scheduled for the closing weekend of the Tour de France.

Can any locals advise what to expect? We are staying at Paris Hilton (on points). Will that area be affected by crowds? Is this a good day to get out of the city?

Unfortunately, we have no options for changing dates so I am just looking for best survival tactics for this event.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 12:29 pm

Survival tactics? This is one of the nicer sporting gatherings in France, as cycling fans have nothing in common with inner-city hooligans. Expect a broad cross-section of French society, of all ages, and positive disposition. I can't remember a single incident in the 20+ years I have followed the Tour.

Here is the itinerary and schedule of the last stage, into Paris.

What happens is that the roads taken by the Tour are closed 3-4 hours before the riders come. They are opened soon after the last one goes by. Except for the last few kilometers of a stage, there are no barriers, and pedestrians can cross until a few minutes before.

I see this year the Tour is expected at Boulogne-Billancourt around 2pm, and then on to Place de la Bastille; the Hilton is between those two locations. Traditionally though, the usual route goes alongside the Seine river banks, which in this case would be the bank opposite the Hilton.

Only the Champs-Elysées area will be closed for an extended period. If you wanted to do a day trip, and do not care to witness the Tour's centennial, it may be a good day. Remember that a countryman of yours is likely to win this year again
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:57 pm

I assume the Tour is free to watch if you're in Paris that day? Any advice on getting a good view?
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:06 am

Yes access to the Tour route is free everywhere.

Key to getting a good spot is getting there early.

Alternatives include getting one of the few hotel rooms with view on the Champs-Elysées, climbing atop a statue or tall family member, or watching TV.

I've been at stages near Geneva, once near Bordeaux, once in Paris, and most memorably a few times in alpine stages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.