Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

I have a jar with several hundred 1 and 2 euro coins, can I use them in France?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:36 am
Original Poster

somehow I have a jar with several hundred 1 and 2 euro coins that I collected over the years after returning from Europe.

can I use them on an upcoming trip to France? do most places accept payment using coins? (for example, to pay a restaurant bill with 50 1-euro coins?) Or are there places that I can just dump all the coins and exchange for paper euro money? (banks, or Coinstar machines like we have here in the US)

Thanks1
Old Aug 28, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Most places are happy to get change because it is often lacking. I pay my GP in coins and she loves me for it.

My local Leclerc supermarket at Rosa Parks has a coin changing machine, but it only gives you a coupon for the corresponding amount to be spent there.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Believe me, if you pay a 50€ bill in a restaurant with 1€ coins, they are not going to look at you nicely, although legally they can't refuse. Just go to a bank and change your coins to bills. It will avoid you also the hassle to carry your "jar" with you all the time !
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Believe me, if you pay a 50€ bill in a restaurant with 1€ coins, they are not going to look at you nicely, although legally they can't refuse. Just go to a bank and change your coins to bills. It will avoid you also the hassle to carry your "jar" with you all the time !
but I assume that it will be fine for for paying for a couple cups of coffees or quick meals at Taco Bell in France?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
First you'd have to wait for Taco Bell to open an establishment in France. However, there is now a Popeye's near Gare du Nord.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by phonestand
but I assume that it will be fine for for paying for a couple cups of coffees or quick meals at Taco Bell in France?
Of course !
But, fortunately, no Taco Bell here as said by Kerouac2. And coming to France to eat at Taco bell or equivalent...seriously ?
mlin32, nancypants and thijsseh like this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: FB Gold
To be fair, MacDo is quite decent in France. But honestly, the invasion of American chains needs to stop.

Sure, it's totally fine to go to a café and pay small amounts in coins. But please don't pay for a 30€ restaurant bill in coins. Legally acceptable as mentioned, but the server would be pissed in the same way as if you tried the same tactic in the US or anywhere else in the world.

Or failing that, if you need to go to a hypermarket/supermarket, many of them have a coin-counting machine that takes all your coins and issues a store voucher for that amount. I think like Coinstar in the US.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kerouac2
First you'd have to wait for Taco Bell to open an establishment in France. However, there is now a Popeye's near Gare du Nord.
But we have O'Tacos!
Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
The last Coinstar I saw in France (2023, Intermarché supermarket) takes a 9,75% fee. That's pretty significant on large amounts of coins, plus you have to spend the voucher in that particular store.

Paying amounts under € 15 in coins, leaving coins as tips when paying by card in a café, paying exact change at the Boulangerie or in a Market, will all be much appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also at some smaller tourist attractions they may appreciate exact change ( and occassionally they have offered to exchange 1 or 2 euro coins for a 10 or 20 euro note

( also good for tipping housekeeping in hotels etc ) or some pay w.c's if you are out and about

If travelling by air, it might be worthwhile to keep the change in a separate ( coin bag) and take it out and place it separately in the tray for security ( ie beside your toiletry bag) as sometimes it shows up as a blob and could cause your hand baggage to be sent to secondary screening

Regards

TBS
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Of course !
But, fortunately, no Taco Bell here as said by Kerouac2. And coming to France to eat at Taco bell or equivalent...seriously ?
the very first time that I went to France was 1992....

guess why I went? I went there beause EuroDisney opened and I just had to go. I still remember the news that year about some French people protesting and/or boycotting EuroDisney because it was an insult to French culture.

sorry....

Last edited by phonestand; Aug 29, 2023 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:43 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have not done it in France, but in Spain and Germany waiters were very happy to accept €50 in coins in denominations of 10c to €2. In fact, if they are not busy they often ask if I have any more coins.
In France the most I have done is put 50 or so 5c/10c into a machine in a bakery, they didn't have a problem with that, otherwise plan to spend €30 in an Auchan.

Most commercial banks refuse to change euros to euros for non customers.

Although In Germany normally I just go to the Bundesbank who will take all coins, but it's only open weekdays in the morning and there are only branches in a few big cities.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!

Most commercial banks refuse to change euros to euros for non customers.
that was my experience as well.... I forgot the name of the bank, but it was a couple of minutes from the Paris Opera. I had probably 50 euro coins(1 or 2 euros). The lady looked at me and then at the coins... she started shaking her and said "NO"(in English). :

By the way, I think I have a bigger "problem" than I originally thought. Just finished counting the coins. Had no idea that the jar contained so many coins.

I have 476 euros in coins. (1 euro coins = 252... 2 euro coins = 112)

There were also around 30 one-pound British coins mixed in there somehow.
JimP and nk15 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by phonestand
I have 476 euros in coins. (1 euro coins = 252... 2 euro coins = 112)

There were also around 30 one-pound British coins mixed in there somehow.
France is not Sweden (yet), most people would not see finding nearly 500 euros that they didn't know about as a "problem".

If the British coins are the old round unimetallic type then they are a problem, as there is no government institution where you can exchange them and commercial banks will only exchange them for account holders.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
France is not Sweden (yet), most people would not see finding nearly 500 euros that they didn't know about as a "problem".

If the British coins are the old round unimetallic type then they are a problem, as there is no government institution where you can exchange them and commercial banks will only exchange them for account holders.
I was just about to ask about that.... I have two kinds of one Pound coins.... some old and some new... I guess the easiest thing to do will be to give them to my friend who lives in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.