How to get a credit or debit card that will work in French vending machines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

On my last trip to France, I was again stymied by vending machines that would not accept any card in my wallet. (Sometimes it's a hot day and you want to just grab a bottle of Evian from a machine in the Métro but nothing works.)

Although I bank at one of the largest US financial institutions, they absolutely refuse to do anything to help me. What would work for me would be one of those prepaid cards like you can buy in any pharmacy here from VISA, Mastercard, AMEX, etc. I just want something for this simple purpose. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
On my last trip to France, I was again stymied by vending machines that would not accept any card in my wallet. (Sometimes it's a hot day and you want to just grab a bottle of Evian from a machine in the Métro but nothing works.)

Although I bank at one of the largest US financial institutions, they absolutely refuse to do anything to help me. What would work for me would be one of those prepaid cards like you can buy in any pharmacy here from VISA, Mastercard, AMEX, etc. I just want something for this simple purpose. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Do those machines accept mobile-wallet payments?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
The vending machines accept MC or Visa contactless payments. So theoretically, yes, mobile payments (for example smartwatch or telephone) should work too.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ever since I added my contactless card to ApplePay I’ve had no issues using it at kiosks/vending machines in Paris.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do those machines accept mobile-wallet payments?
Originally Posted by mlin32
The vending machines accept MC or Visa contactless payments. So theoretically, yes, mobile payments (for example smartwatch or telephone) should work too.
Not exactly. The machines I tried in the Métro were all contactless only. And none of my contactless cards worked.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Ever since I added my contactless card to ApplePay I’ve had no issues using it at kiosks/vending machines in Paris.
Is this a US card that you added? If so, would you feel comfortable saying which one?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Not exactly. The machines I tried in the Métro were all contactless only. And none of my contactless cards worked.

Is this a US card that you added? If so, would you feel comfortable saying which one?
I have multiple cards all US based. Do you have a pin configured on your cards?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
I have multiple cards all US based. Do you have a pin configured on your cards?
Yes in the sense that if I wanted to use one to take money out of an ATM (which I never do) I would need a PIN. No, in the sense that if I buy something in Europe, I don't need to punch in digits like with a chip and PIN card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.