Wiki Posts
Search

CDG train connection?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
CDG train connection?

I have just booked a flight from Canada to CDG and would like to continue by train to Germany.

1) How much time should I allocate to reasonably clear customs and find my way to the TGV station ... i.e. time needed for first possible train departure?
2) I am comfortable booking train tickets online for German trains, but the options out of CDG are not bookable online. So I assume I will need to book the French train on a French site and then German connections separately. What is a good site to book and resevr the TGV?
3) When I passed through CDG on another trip I found the food choices terrible - is the food on TGV better than at the airport?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You can book this on oui.sncf, bahn.com, or I'm sure any number of other sites.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:53 pm

If your flight from Canada originates from YYZ or YUL then consider 1.5 hr delay to be on the safe side.
If you arrive at CDG 2A from Canada then usually you are cleared quickly in less than 1 hr ...and then you have 15min walk to CDG TGV T2 train departure station.
Booking SNCF trains is done best through French web site SNCF
before paying online for your SNCF ticket double check departure date and time because sometimes due to booking from a different TZ date shown scrolls back/forth by 1 day.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Thank you. We will come in on WJ from YYC. Usually I try to book trains well ahead of time to get cheap fares around 120 Euros into Germany but with coronarvirus concerns am wondering if I should get refundable tickets. If I bought tickets at the station then would the fare be very high?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:58 pm

Last year WJ flights to CDG were punctual as they were WJ 1st year direct flights from YYC to CDG.
This year SNCF ticket prices are totally out of control unlike past years rates do not start low 3 moths before departure increased to departure date but rather now rates are randomly by a bunch of monkeys roaming in SNCF office. However, if you book your train to Germany but for some reason like Corona or construction your train will be cancelled or even at times SNCF allows ticket changes to refunds due to for example possible strikes then you have choices of refund, change trip, delay, etc. without paying service penalty fees. On your cell phone SNCF app enter your SNCF ticket # or code and it automatically adds alerts sent to you one day before departure at about 17h00 (Paris time) if train encounters delay or cancellation...etc. and then SMS you your platform number before departure, and if en route you need to transfer to another train the app SMS your next train voie number and whether delayed or not...etc. The SNCF app has many features to report instantaneously your concerns to operators that can guide you through.

See also:
Trainline Europe
Europe train tickets in advance: Yes, here's how to save
Rail Europe
Man in Seat 61

Last edited by maxjasper; Feb 26, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.