Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Child traveling to France w/o parents - requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

My daughter (under 18) is going to France with her grandmother and aunt (same surnames). Do I need a notarized permission letter, and does France have any particular requirements, or is a general "we give permission to daughter to travel with aunt/grandma to France during dates" sufficient?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
My daughter (under 18) is going to France with her grandmother and aunt (same surnames). Do I need a notarized permission letter, and does France have any particular requirements, or is a general "we give permission to daughter to travel with aunt/grandma to France during dates" sufficient?
Define “need”.

I would prepare documents giving one or either of the chaperones authority to take the girl where the trip plans, plus to exercise all authority you have, such as to approve medical treatment. I would have the documents in English and French and I would have them notarized, if only to look more complete.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Define “need”.
Need = is likely to be a requirement of entry (or even boarding plane), because France checks. Compare South Africa, which is notoriously strict on these requirements.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: too many
Are they all US nationals?
If so, do you have something like a family register showing the filitation?
French customs can be a pain, even for French nationals, so I'd recommend:
1.As above, Notarised letter, in French and English, asserting that this is your daughter and that her aunt and grandma have custodian authority for the duration of the trip. You could use this template which seems to come from an official source
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/IMG/p..._cle4ec2d5.pdf
2. Copy of your passport
3. Copy of the civil register showing the family link (if applicable)
4. Birth certificate

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...sary-documents
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/France.html
drewguy and Tamino like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, US nationals.

The template appears to be for French children going abroad, although the information seems consistent with what I'd put in a letter anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think regardless, the letter needs to be signed by the child's father as well because the flag for immigration officers is when a child is observably not traveling with BOTH parents. If the father does not have custody, then documentation of that would be required as well.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I just traveled to France from the US with my daughter's two sons, ages 12 and 14. Different surname than mine.
I carried a letter of permission from both mom and dad, copies of the kids birth certificates, copies of mom and dad's passports, as well as medical authority consent forms.
In the event, we were never questioned, never even looked at twice. This even included the 12 year old getting a TSA random hand swab. And the 14 year old looking nothing like his passport photo, taken at age 10.
YMMV. And if I had needed them, I was glad to have carried them.
Hoyaheel and drewguy like this.

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 26, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
Need = is likely to be a requirement of entry (or even boarding plane), because France checks. Compare South Africa, which is notoriously strict on these requirements.
"Likely?" What odds do you want?
ajGoes and Mountain Trader like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Define “need”.

I would prepare documents giving one or either of the chaperones authority to take the girl where the trip plans, plus to exercise all authority you have, such as to approve medical treatment. I would have the documents in English and French and I would have them notarized, if only to look more complete.
I wouldn’t waste any time or money by having them notarized. A simple letter and maybe a joint video recording from the parents stored on the phone is more than sufficient.

For around my last 100 Schengen entries at CDG with related minors where I was the sole accompanying adult, I’ve never presented a letter to French passport control and never been asked by them for one — and my last name and ethnic background isn’t always the same as those whom I am accompanying.

A simple letter in English is more than sufficient. And it sounds like the OP’s daughter is closer to being a teenager than not, if not already a teenager. That means passport control at CDG will find a letter less relevant than questions/behavior of passengers, if they even look much at all.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:24 pm

A joint video recording-there’s a novel idea.

PM me if you’d like me to play the father.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I wouldn’t waste any time or money by having them notarized. A simple letter and maybe a joint video recording from the parents stored on the phone is more than sufficient.

For around my last 100 Schengen entries at CDG with related minors where I was the sole accompanying adult, I’ve never presented a letter to French passport control and never been asked by them for one — and my last name and ethnic background isn’t always the same as those whom I am accompanying.

A simple letter in English is more than sufficient. And it sounds like the OP’s daughter is closer to being a teenager than not, if not already a teenager. That means passport control at CDG will find a letter less relevant than questions/behavior of passengers, if they even look much at all.
Thanks for sharing this experience - helpful data points! I'll send her off with a signed letter. IF they really want to probe, immigration can call us.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A joint video recording-there’s a novel idea.

PM me if you’d like me to play the father.

Unless you're an identical twin to a custodial father of a child, good luck with the child playing along live and in front of passport control authorities with your video recording unless and until the child has been well trained to do so and is able and willing to do so.

You would have an easier time passing yourself off as playing the father to some other custodial father's child in a hand-written note -- even one that is supposedly notarized -- than in a video recording of the sort which I've had used before.

Since the child who is traveling with non-parental relatives can almost certainly speak plenty, things tend to fly over more easily. The main exception would be if the travel route involves travel going via countries with explicit statutory/regulatory requirements for an authorization letter or other related documents of some particular sort. For US-Paris, non-stop flights, US-style notarization of the letter is as good as me putting on a red wax seal that says "Approved by the Dragon Lord".

A simple letter with copies of the parents ID that includes contact information and a mention of approval for travel and medical care during the trip for the child is more than sufficient in dealing with passport control at CDG.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Final update: Sent her with signed letter. Passport control (in Nice, not CDG) didn't even ask for anything, other than why she was there and how long she was staying..
ng1265 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.