Reload this Page >

Uber Paris Vehicles and How to Use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Paris Vehicles and How to Use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question General Uber and Ride request info

Since Uber and all of the ride requests are new since we were there (the taxi drivers were nearly lighting Uber cars on fire there were such protests) can anyone help with the following:

1) Can I use my US Uber app in Paris and will the credit cards apply there? Or do need to download a French version?
2) From reading through this thread, best I can tell, in addition to Uber there are: G7 Taxi (is this a taxi or Uber-like service?) and Marcel. Are there others?
3) Was not happy to read that Uber will cancel your ride if they get a "better offer" from a higher paying company. Which are those?
4) There is probably not one that is "best" or overall better, but we only have a few days in Paris and would like to take the most reliable one. Opinions?

Any other tips appreciated.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Since Uber and all of the ride requests are new since we were there (the taxi drivers were nearly lighting Uber cars on fire there were such protests) can anyone help with the following:

1) Can I use my US Uber app in Paris and will the credit cards apply there? Or do need to download a French version?
2) From reading through this thread, best I can tell, in addition to Uber there are: G7 Taxi (is this a taxi or Uber-like service?) and Marcel. Are there others?
3) Was not happy to read that Uber will cancel your ride if they get a "better offer" from a higher paying company. Which are those?
4) There is probably not one that is "best" or overall better, but we only have a few days in Paris and would like to take the most reliable one. Opinions?

Any other tips appreciated.
1) you can use the version you have on your phone. It will work everywhere in the world where Uber operates
2) G7 is taxi. Another taxi company is Taxis Bleus. Other non-Taxis are Marcel, chauffeurs privés, Le Cab
3) it doesn’t happen so frequently. You sincerely don’t have to worry about that. In case it happens, the app reattributes another driver immediately. There are a lot of drivers available.
4) Uber is very reliable,in París no issue
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Goldorak
1) you can use the version you have on your phone. It will work everywhere in the world where Uber operates
2) G7 is taxi. Another taxi company is Taxis Bleus. Other non-Taxis are Marcel, chauffeurs privés, Le Cab
3) it doesn’t happen so frequently. You sincerely don’t have to worry about that. In case it happens, the app reattributes another driver immediately. There are a lot of drivers available.
Thank you Goldorak. It was on this thread that I read this and also in a Paris blog recommended in another post the blogger reported the same thing more than once in his restaurant, that his rides were cancelled. But I really don't want to complicate my life so I appreciate your advice and will just keep it simple with Uber.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Thank you Goldorak. It was on this thread that I read this and also in a Paris blog recommended in another post the blogger reported the same thing more than once in his restaurant, that his rides were cancelled. But I really don't want to complicate my life so I appreciate your advice and will just keep it simple with Uber.
G7 offers one significant potential advantage: since it's a taxi-dispatching system, your ride can legally use bus lanes. This will often get you to your destination a lot faster.
SEA-Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
G7 offers one significant potential advantage: since it's a taxi-dispatching system, your ride can legally use bus lanes. This will often get you to your destination a lot faster.
And I absolutely appreciate that ajGoes. Thanks, I live in San Francisco, now a very crowded city not built for it and am all for legal use of bus lanes! And am fine with a taxi-dispatching system, and happy to use it if it is useable. (Our taxis are trying to be.). Any idea if they have a useable app and if I can sign up in the US or give them a credit card. I do speak a some decent, but rusty french but these will be short rides over just a few days, sadly, for this trip.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:39 am

And am fine with a taxi-dispatching system, and happy to use it if it is useable. (Our taxis are trying to be.). Any idea if they have a useable app and if I can sign up in the US or give them a credit card. I do speak a some decent, but rusty french but these will be short rides over just a few days, sadly, for this trip.
Install the G7 Taxi app. Tap the menu "hamburger" (the three horizontal bars in the top left-hand corner) and choose Payment/Tip. Tap "CREDIT CARD" and select the card type. The app will walk you through the rest of the process.

The app wouldn't accept my old MileagePlus Explorer Mastercard, but it worked fine with my newer MileagePlus Explorer Visa.

The app works much like the Uber app, showing you your cab's location and time to arrival. Needless to say, you will need a data plan.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Goldorak
G7 purchased Taxis Bleus several years ago and blended its operation into the G7 label. Taxis marked with the Taxis Bleus logos have been gone for a couple of years now.

Chauffeurs Privés is now called Kapten, Taxify changed its name to Bolt, and the SNCF VTC service is now called Mon Chauffeur which primarily consists of drivers from either Snapcar or le Cab.

Uber drivers are not allowed in the bus lanes either in Paris or along A1 from CDG. Only official Taxi Parisiens may use these lanes which are marked G7 or Alpha Taxi. Uber´s surge pricing is alive and operating all too often in the city which is why I rarely use them.
mstraveler and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Tamino
G7 purchased Taxis Bleus several years ago and blended its operation into the G7 label. Taxis marked with the Taxis Bleus logos have been gone for a couple of years now.

Chauffeurs Privés is now called Kapten, Taxify changed its name to Bolt, and the SNCF VTC service is now called Mon Chauffeur which primarily consists of drivers from either Snapcar or le Cab.

Uber drivers are not allowed in the bus lanes either in Paris or along A1 from CDG. Only official Taxi Parisiens may use these lanes which are marked G7 or Alpha Taxi. Uber´s surge pricing is alive and operating all too often in the city which is why I rarely use them.
Thanks Tamino and do you have a favorite in the group? And can G7 use the bus lanes - not sure if they are now a taxi or an uber-like business (I never know what to call them as a group).
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:30 am

And can G7 use the bus lanes - not sure if they are now a taxi or an uber-like business (I never know what to call them as a group).
Uber is a ride-sharing business.

G7 is a taxi company that offers an app as a convenient way to book cabs. G7 taxis can use the bus lanes.
mstraveler likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Thanks Tamino and do you have a favorite in the group? And can G7 use the bus lanes - not sure if they are now a taxi or an uber-like business (I never know what to call them as a group).
My favorite mode of transportation is walking. If time is a consideration, I typically use métro which is probably the fastest transportation option in the city, particularly during rush hour. For trips from either airport into Paris I use taxis from the official taxi stands. Going to CDG I either use the métro/RER B or I arrange for transportation with Snapcar. Sometimes, late at night I contact Kaptan or Bolt for a ride home but I just as often take the métro.

Taxi G7 is really just a dispatch service. I am not sure if they own any taxis at all. Most, but not all, taxi drivers are individual businessmen driving their own cars. All official taxis, be they Taxi G7 or Alpha (and I believe there is a third company using mostly electric cars) are licensed and regulated by the local Police. Prices and rules are uniform among taxi operators.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:10 am

Have never used any of the ride services since the taxi drivers were doing severe Uber car protests. Glad to hear the things have changed. About G7 taxi, do you mean that you can pre-book it and they will be at the airport waiting?
No need to pre-book G7 for leaving CDG. Just get in the taxi line and tell the attendant that you want G7. I advise confirming the fixed fare to Paris before you get into the cab to avoid any 'misunderstaning'.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tamino
My favorite mode of transportation is walking. If time is a consideration, I typically use métro which is probably the fastest transportation option in the city, particularly during rush hour. For trips from either airport into Paris I use taxis from the official taxi stands. Going to CDG I either use the métro/RER B or I arrange for transportation with Snapcar. Sometimes, late at night I contact Kaptan or Bolt for a ride home but I just as often take the métro..
I have been coming to Paris since I was 20 and at this point I have been all over Paris walking and using the metro. Up until now it never occurred to me to even get in a taxi. I even have a Carte Orange card with my picture and all; outdated now and replaced by the new system. Unfortunately we have a knee issue to deal with this year that will make stairs and walking too uncomfortable, impractical and nearly impossible, which is why I am wading into such unfamiliar territory. Even though ride sharing was not available at our last visit, I doubt we would have used it anyway. We have always picked our lodging and apartment for Metro proximity. Appreciate all of the info about how to get around in a new way!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
In Paris G7 >>>> Uber. During my several years of living there, I rarely used Uber in Paris, and used G7 often. G7 is so much quicker, because of the ability to use bus lanes, since they are real taxis, not ride-share.
JOUY31 and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
In Paris G7 >>>> Uber. During my several years of living there, I rarely used Uber in Paris, and used G7 often. G7 is so much quicker, because of the ability to use bus lanes, since they are real taxis, not ride-share.
Thanks and I have downloaded their app (which doesn't like my credit card - a standard Chase Visa) so I have to figure that out, but it makes sense to use them.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:18 am

Any updates on preferred e-hail apps for Paris? On my last Paris trip 9 years ago we used Uber a bunch and signed up for Snapcar (now LeCab) but never actually used it.

It looks like there are quite a few Uber/LeCab competitors these days: Bolt, Freenow, Marcel, G7, etc. I see above the note about the advantage of using G7 within the city to be able to use bus lanes. Aside from that is there any reason to choose one of these services over another or should we just use whichever one has the best mix of short pickup time / cheap fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.