Paris protests

Old Mar 16, 19, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Paris protests

Hi all! I will be traveling to Paris via London May 30th-June 3. I have a physical disability and use a motorized wheelchair. Therefore, my ability to avoid/navigate through protests is very limited, as is my ability to get around if services are impacted. I see the majority of protests seem to be centered around the C-E, which happens to be where our hotel is. Im wondering if I should consider altering my plans in any way? Thank you for any feedback.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by duceno1 View Post
Hi all! I will be traveling to Paris via London May 30th-June 3. I have a physical disability and use a motorized wheelchair. Therefore, my ability to avoid/navigate through protests is very limited, as is my ability to get around if services are impacted. I see the majority of protests seem to be centered around the C-E, which happens to be where our hotel is. Im wondering if I should consider altering my plans in any way? Thank you for any feedback.
The protests are on Saturdays and so is your trip. There is no way to know if the protests will continue through late May, but it would be a prudent move to change to another area.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:49 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Before I moved, I would contact your hotel to voice your concerns. I would be very surprised if hotels on the Champs Elyses have not already established procedures to handle your needs.

I think with the increased violence and destruction of last Saturdays activities, the government is going to dramatically step up both their presence and enforcement action.
geo1005 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Are protests still happening ?

I haven't heard any more news reports in the US.
We are going to be in Paris in April and would like to know from a local if traveling to any of the tourist spots is not recommended ???
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:33 pm
DG

Programs: AA Gold; NWA Silver
Same here. I am traveling with my family, including 2 kids, and am a little worried about it. I moved dates around so I now come in on a Sunday, and am staying in the Marais.
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
People should keep in mind that in Paris, there are always marches and demonstrators. The French believe that it is their right to protest, they love to line up and carry signs. The gilets jaunes do not care about tourists and their yellow jackets make them easy to avoid.

Television news concerns itself with ratings and the most dramatic footage available. Its a shame that anyone believes that the gilets jaunes pose any threat to themselves or their families.
4sallypat likes this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
I haven't heard any more news reports in the US.
We are going to be in Paris in April and would like to know from a local if traveling to any of the tourist spots is not recommended ???
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Same here. I am traveling with my family, including 2 kids, and am a little worried about it. I moved dates around so I now come in on a Sunday, and am staying in the Marais.

Trust me, you will be fine. The GJ protest only on Saturdays and in certain areas, and even if you see them, they are harmless, but for a few. Avoid the Champs on Saturday, otherwise have a super wonderful time enjoying the city.

What I would make plans for is rain. It rains a lot in the spring. But still enjoy the lovely city.
Old Mar 24, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Yahillwe View Post
Trust me, you will be fine. The GJ protest only on Saturdays and in certain areas, and even if you see them, they are harmless, but for a few. Avoid the Champs on Saturday, otherwise have a super wonderful time enjoying the city.

What I would make plans for is rain. It rains a lot in the spring. But still enjoy the lovely city.
Thanks for the tips all!
Will report back as we will be in Paris in 2 weeks.....
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In February I was in Paris and inadvertently got caught in the Yellow Vest protest which formed at the Arc ed Triomphe and moved down the Champs Elysees. What started as a few hundred peopled quickly turned into thousands. Plenty of noise and police but peaceful.

Search this Thread