Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne region vs Loire Valley

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ant_west
You mention you land at Orly airport which is South of Paris so easy to get to the Loire if you hire a car, more difficult if you train as you'll need to go in to the centre of Paris to pick up the TGV. Orleans is about an hours (very easy motorway) drive from Paris and Tours less than an hour further on (again easy by motorway)

I would say definitely hire a car at Orly on arrival then rather than stay in Orleans or Tours I'd aim to stay at a Chateau in between the 2 then spend some time visiting some of the great Chateau - Chenonceau, Chambord, etc. There is no shortage of great boutique luxury hotels that will have a great restaurant and selection of local wines to try
I land at Paris Charles de Gaulle, so the train may be the better option. I'm going to start looking for a Chateau to stay at now for those two nights
Old May 30, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by conner11
I land at Paris Charles de Gaulle, so the train may be the better option.
Do bear in mind the SNCF rolling strike and check that you are not going to need the train on a strike day. You can see the calendar of strike dates until end of June here.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think the Loire Valley is absolutely wonderful but deserves a lot more than a day and a half (last time I went, we spent ten days driving from St. Benoit to Nantes). I would be more inclined to go to Champagne for such a short visit (and it's a bit closer).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What time of year? In the summer, the Loire is filled with tourists and the number of bikes on roads between major chateaux can make driving a challenge. The famous castles are impressive to do (once, or better, a few at a time spread over several trips) but I prefer the wines/scenery/ambience of the champagne region. It's generally more relaxing. Also, if you're going by train, you can stay in Reims or Epernay and visit some champagne houses in either of these towns pretty easily. From Paris there should be nonstop trains, with Epernay being first (slightly closer to Paris) but of course it's a smaller city. There's a famous luxury hotel in Reims and a very nice country place overlooking the vines with a very good restaurant outside of Epernay. Both have starred restaurants of course.

For both wine and a nice castle in the Loire, don't miss Chinon. It's a small village and from one direction (I don't remember which way) you enter the village driving down a small hill and it seems magical and very traditional. IIRC the castle (which isn't as large as some of the other ones) is still privately owned but open to the public with lots of restored original areas. For my taste, these are some of the better Loire wines.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What time of year? In the summer, the Loire is filled with tourists and the number of bikes on roads between major chateaux can make driving a challenge. The famous castles are impressive to do (once, or better, a few at a time spread over several trips) but I prefer the wines/scenery/ambience of the champagne region. It's generally more relaxing. Also, if you're going by train, you can stay in Reims or Epernay and visit some champagne houses in either of these towns pretty easily. From Paris there should be nonstop trains, with Epernay being first (slightly closer to Paris) but of course it's a smaller city. There's a famous luxury hotel in Reims and a very nice country place overlooking the vines with a very good restaurant outside of Epernay. Both have starred restaurants of course.

For both wine and a nice castle in the Loire, don't miss Chinon. It's a small village and from one direction (I don't remember which way) you enter the village driving down a small hill and it seems magical and very traditional. IIRC the castle (which isn't as large as some of the other ones) is still privately owned but open to the public with lots of restored original areas. For my taste, these are some of the better Loire wines.
Thanks for the advice! This sounds like the exact kind of place we want to stay in. The issue is we are only going for 2 nights, 1.5 days - so would prefer a town closer to Paris to limit wasted travel time. Any thoughts on good places to stay?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by conner11
Thanks for the advice! This sounds like the exact kind of place we want to stay in. The issue is we are only going for 2 nights, 1.5 days - so would prefer a town closer to Paris to limit wasted travel time. Any thoughts on good places to stay?
These are both expensive hotels (in Relais et Chateaux), but the place in Reims is Domaine des Crayeres and the one overlooking vineyards is Royal Chamnpagne. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.