Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotel recommendation /paris

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be001
we are going next week. ended up booking a duplex at hotel marais home for 2 nights (hotels.com with coupon and giving assistant ended up being about 200 a night), then airbnb for the rest of the trip. With the toddler we wanted the kitchen so went with airbnb for the majority of the trip. 2 bedrooms I think it was about 180 euro a night or so but this was on the expensive end for sure.
nice - i am not sure what to think of Airbnb. is it reliable? i know its affordable. what about the people renting the apartments? i never used one so with a family in a different country i want to make sure we are not put in a awkward situation or stinky one.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
nice - i am not sure what to think of Airbnb. is it reliable? i know its affordable. what about the people renting the apartments?
You should know, at a minimum, that most rental apartments in Paris are offered illegally. The city has a staff of 25 full time inspectors that does nothing but issue fines to owners and remove apartment listings from the marketplace. The government does allow owner/residents to rent their own apartments for a period not to exceed 120 days annually. Investment properties, secondary residences, or vacation homes are not covered under this provision and cannot be offered legally.

Beginning in October, laws will take effect requiring owner/occupants to obtain a registration number, issued by the city, and to display it prominently in any on line advertisement. Airbnb has stated that they will comply with this new law and list only properties with a registration number. They further will limit rentals of the properties they list to a maximum of 120 days annually.

Renting any property on Airbnb, PAP or le Bon Coin is probably safe as long as you can generally determine that it is occupied full time by the owner. Pictures of apartments having a more sterile appearance are probably not those of owner occupants and should be rented with caution.

Hopefully, all of the confusion should subside as Airbnb and other such companies start to list registration numbers verifying that they are legal rentals.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino
You should know, at a minimum, that most rental apartments in Paris are offered illegally. The city has a staff of 25 full time inspectors that does nothing but issue fines to owners and remove apartment listings from the marketplace. The government does allow owner/residents to rent their own apartments for a period not to exceed 120 days annually. Investment properties, secondary residences, or vacation homes are not covered under this provision and cannot be offered legally.

Beginning in October, laws will take effect requiring owner/occupants to obtain a registration number, issued by the city, and to display it prominently in any on line advertisement. Airbnb has stated that they will comply with this new law and list only properties with a registration number. They further will limit rentals of the properties they list to a maximum of 120 days annually.

Renting any property on Airbnb, PAP or le Bon Coin is probably safe as long as you can generally determine that it is occupied full time by the owner. Pictures of apartments having a more sterile appearance are probably not those of owner occupants and should be rented with caution.

Hopefully, all of the confusion should subside as Airbnb and other such companies start to list registration numbers verifying that they are legal rentals.
thanks for the info ! thats great to know. its just with Airbnb we can use a kitchen and makes meal time easier...we are only staying for 3 full days so a regular hotel and eating out would be acceptable for us.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
There are other apt rental options than airbnb - check pro agencies. We did the last time we were in Paris (we prefer to rent in many places -esp Europe)
Old May 19, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
There are other apt rental options than airbnb - check pro agencies. We did the last time we were in Paris (we prefer to rent in many places -esp Europe)
To be fair to Airbnb and other companies like them, there is a second option when renting apartments in Paris - finding an apartment specifically approved for vacation rental by the government. The problem is that it is very difficult and extremely costly to obtain government approval to rent property short term, defined as any period of time under 1 year. Unfortunately, there are little more than 100 such apartments in all of Paris. Their addresses are listed by the city here.

These apartments rent at prices similar to those of 4 star hotels and they are the only apartments excluded from the 120 day rental maximum per year requirement. Many of the pro agencies, particularly those not offering any apartments on the approved list, have shifted their business models to offer only legal, long term rentals or have left the short term rental market completely.

The market should evolve and begin to change even more radically as city registration numbers are required for any vacation rental starting this fall.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why are so many people perseverating on the laws about rental apartments? FTers are seeking recommendations for places to stay right now. That's it.

Parisians will work out their laws themselves over some extended period of time, which will matter in the future but not now. Start a thread devoted to that political discussion if you wish.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:28 am

I have no interest in politics nor is it clear what that might have to do with the vacation rental landscape in Paris as it is currently defined. The fact is that there are risks associated with renting apartments in Paris. If a visitor wants to avoid these risks, he should stay in a hotel and that is the situation as of today.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
nice - i am not sure what to think of Airbnb. is it reliable? i know its affordable. what about the people renting the apartments? i never used one so with a family in a different country i want to make sure we are not put in a awkward situation or stinky one.
I only book if they have a 5/5 rating (not even 4.5) and have had at least 10 reviews. Usually works out fine. Just check the ratings and read the reviews. If even one complaint about anything at all I don't even consider it an option.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:11 am

That being said we are going around the world this trip and are in hotels for most of it except France simply because there are so many airbnb options, we are there for a longer period, and the difference in price between hotels and airbnb is so large
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Hey guys,

Heading to Paris next May and looking for suggestions as to what hotel. Will have Platinum status by the time we leave for the trip.

We've narrowed it down to these 3, staying 5 nights to get 5th night free. SPG point amounts have 5th night free factored in already:

W Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Les Bains - 16,000 SPG per night

Westin Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Le Dokhan's - 12,800 SPG per night

Also open to transferring SPG:Marriott if the Marriott hotels are better. Preferably one with a lounge. Are kids allowed in the lounge?

If anyone has stayed at these hotels, advice is much appreciated. We will have two infants (aged 2 and 1) with us as well. So maybe consider kidfriendliness too. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ennsy
We've narrowed it down to these 3, staying 5 nights to get 5th night free. SPG point amounts have 5th night free factored in already:

W Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Les Bains - 16,000 SPG per night

Westin Paris - 16,000 SPG per night

Le Dokhan's - 12,800 SPG per night
That's four options not three, innit?

Anyway, if those are the options I'd go for the Westin, esp. with children. The other options are really not aiming at the "with kids" crowd at all - the total and utter absence on their hotel websites of anything related to children staying at the respective property, be that the existence of cots, or kid's menus, or suggestions for family activities, should set alarm bells ringing. The Westin - with "kids friendly being a relative concept for Paris 5* properties - scores marginally better, offering a "Babysitting service" and advice on family activities.

Otherwise, I'd consider the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe if you're with two small children and want to be in the SPG-Marriott world. Clearly lacks the Wow factor of, say, the Dokhan, but if you spend your holiday worrying about which design feature a bumbling 1 year old might break next, while feeling the cold stares of disapproval, you won't have a relaxed time. Trust me, I've been there .
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Could I get some advice on a choice of neighborhoods for two Paris Hilton’s - Maison Astor or Niepce; they are not open yet so I assume both will be nice? I have the Astor booked for 5 nights on points but assume the Niepce will charge a similar amount when loaded. My wife and I like to get to know the area in which we stay so wondering which might be more interesting.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
That's four options not three, innit?

Anyway, if those are the options I'd go for the Westin, esp. with children. The other options are really not aiming at the "with kids" crowd at all - the total and utter absence on their hotel websites of anything related to children staying at the respective property, be that the existence of cots, or kid's menus, or suggestions for family activities, should set alarm bells ringing. The Westin - with "kids friendly being a relative concept for Paris 5* properties - scores marginally better, offering a "Babysitting service" and advice on family activities.

Otherwise, I'd consider the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe if you're with two small children and want to be in the SPG-Marriott world. Clearly lacks the Wow factor of, say, the Dokhan, but if you spend your holiday worrying about which design feature a bumbling 1 year old might break next, while feeling the cold stares of disapproval, you won't have a relaxed time. Trust me, I've been there .
Why is the Renaissance your other suggestion? The Westin Paris does sound like a very good option. Thank you for you help.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ennsy
Why is the Renaissance your other suggestion? The Westin Paris does sound like a very good option. Thank you for you help.
Because the Renaissance is the only upmarket SPG/Marriott property in Paris intra-muros specifically catering for very young children (i.e. having things such as family rooms, or a child play area) and advertising it ("Children welcome", as opposed to "children tolerated through artfully gritted teeth"). Nothing worse than trying to find a suitably large flat place other than your bed or the floor in a "designer" room when you need somewhere to put that change mat for the nappy/diaper change.

The Westin, as you say, is a very nice property in a cracking location and, with small children, the best of the options your mentioned.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Because the Renaissance is the only upmarket SPG/Marriott property in Paris intra-muros specifically catering for very young children (i.e. having things such as family rooms, or a child play area) and advertising it ("Children welcome", as opposed to "children tolerated through artfully gritted teeth"). Nothing worse than trying to find a suitably large flat place other than your bed or the floor in a "designer" room when you need somewhere to put that change mat for the nappy/diaper change.

The Westin, as you say, is a very nice property in a cracking location and, with small children, the best of the options your mentioned.
You have been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.