Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG to Eurostar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
CDG to Eurostar

Arriving CDG at around 5am, I believe I will have ample time to transit by RER to Gare Du Nord for a 9am Eurostar to London ( what can I say, it's a "bucket list" item!)

Any advice on what to do once I get to the station? Places to eat?

Also I have a US Amex platinum card, does that get me into anything these days?

I have a standard class one-way ticket sadly, but I am looking forward to the trip nonetheless! Anything worth trying to include once on the train?

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
At that hour there won't be restaurants open, but you can get a croissant and tea or coffee at a number of cafes. Or maybe walk into the Mercure Terminus Nord and buy a hotel breakfast for around €20.

I know an Amex Centurion card gets you into the Eurostar VIP lounge, but I'm not sure about Platinum. It can't hurt to try.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by stimpy
I know an Amex Centurion card gets you into the Eurostar VIP lounge, but I'm not sure about Platinum. It can't hurt to try.
It does:

Eurostar Business Premier Lounges
Present your Platinum Card and same day ticket for access to the following Eurostar Business Premier Lounges:

• London St. Pancras International Station
• Ebbsfleet International
• Paris Gare du Nord
• Brussels Midi/Zuid
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In that case you might as well get your drinks and croissants in the club.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you just want to take the Eurostar, and don't care about Paris, consider hopping on a TGV from CDG to Lille. Most of the CDG-Lille trains go to Lille Europe, the same station that the Eurostar leaves from. It's a sub-10 minute walk from Lille Flandres to Lille Europe if it goes to the other one. Takes about an hour on the TGV to Lille (so not far off the RER timings), and you're then almost an hour closer to London!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question bucket list query?

Originally Posted by renault4
Arriving CDG at around 5am, I believe I will have ample time to transit by RER to Gare Du Nord for a 9am Eurostar to London ( what can I say, it's a "bucket list" item!)
Not clear what is meant its off your bucket list?? IME, many FTs are opting for CDG/Eurostar as a less expensive way to travel than via LHR. Is this what you mean?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Markie
It does:

Present your Platinum Card and same day ticket for access to the following Eurostar Business Premier Lounges:

• Paris Gare du Nord
• Brussels Midi/Zuid
I believe no guests, though, unless they have a card too.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Markie
It does:

• Paris Gare du Nord
• Brussels Midi/Zuid
Correct.

I was recently at St. Pancras and was politely informed, "you do realize that with an Amex Plat, you can enter the Premier Lounges." Had never known, until now.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Not clear what is meant its off your bucket list?? IME, many FTs are opting for CDG/Eurostar as a less expensive way to travel than via LHR. Is this what you mean?
Put simply, "Bucket list" is a term used to describe the list of things one would like to do before one dies

I won't profess to have an actual Bucket List, at least not yet! But travelling on the Eurostar would be one of the items on such a list.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by renault4
Put simply, "Bucket list" is a term used to describe the list of things one would like to do before one dies

I won't profess to have an actual Bucket List, at least not yet! But travelling on the Eurostar would be one of the items on such a list.
In my "Bucket List," the Eurostar would certainly be on it! We have nothing like it in the States, and it's a pleasure to ride from London to Paris, and vice versa. I enjoy it so much that I always find an excuse to ride it.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
If you just want to take the Eurostar, and don't care about Paris, consider hopping on a TGV from CDG to Lille. Most of the CDG-Lille trains go to Lille Europe, the same station that the Eurostar leaves from. It's a sub-10 minute walk from Lille Flandres to Lille Europe if it goes to the other one. Takes about an hour on the TGV to Lille (so not far off the RER timings), and you're then almost an hour closer to London!
From what research I did on a similar quest, this is the way to go. You can book one ticket for CDG-Lille-London. So any delays or schedule changes, etc. are covered under one ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Both TGV and Eurostar are RailTeam members, so the “Hop on the next available train” (HOTNAT) applies in the event of delays. As long as you've allowed enough time for the change, if your TGV is late, you can get yourself rebooked for free on a later Eurostar in the event of delays.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
As far as things to do, once you get to Gare du Nord, gauge how much time you have, then go outside to one of the local cafes nearby and have a coffee and croissant. And just sit down and people watch for awhile. It is the French way.

Remember, though, you need to check into Eurostar 45 min before departure.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=oenophilist;27179162]As far as things to do, once you get to Gare du Nord, gauge how much time you have, then go outside to one of the local cafes nearby and have a coffee and croissant. And just sit down and people watch for awhile. It is the French way.

That seems like exactly the right advice!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
[QUOTE=renault4;27183417]
Originally Posted by oenophilist

That seems like exactly the right advice!
No I would definitely favour taking the TGV to Lille. I recall that RER ride into Paris being a real schlep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.