Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in France in March ideas? Southern cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:34 am
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold

Hey folks,

Unfortunately my "Plan A" Honeymoon has fallen apart. Even worse, I can only take off time in March due to my schedule.

We're thinking of going spending just a little over a week in France. She's been to Paris a ton, so we'll probably stay there just 1 or 2 or 3 nights.

Neither of us have been to the South of France.

Here's what I'd like to do:
• Go to about 3-4 cities overall.
• Do no driving if possible
• Do something relaxing
•.Do some sight seeing

Neither of us speak or read French.

What might be a good itinerary for us to take part in? What cities should we visit? Will anything even be open?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you have only 3 to 4 days in the south of France, I might suggest you choose either Nice or Avignon, both transportation hubs. You do not need a car for visiting Nice and its surrounding areas. A car is preferable for the rest of Provence but, as a transportation hub, Avignon has good public transportation links to Nîmes, Pont du Gard/Uzès, Arles, St Rémy l´Ile sur la Sorgue or even Aix en Provence.

Book train tickets as soon as you can for best prices, at least 3 months in advance:

www.capitaintrain.com
www.voyages-sncf.com

For information about visiting Nice:
http://www.nicetourisme.com/

For information about Avignon:
http://www.ot-avignon.fr/
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:50 am
dtc
Original Poster

3 months to buy train tickets? How about 3 weeks?

Is it possible / easy to get to Monaco from these places?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by dtc
3 months to buy train tickets? How about 3 weeks?
The longer you wait to purchase tickets, the more you will pay.

Originally Posted by dtc
Is it possible / easy to get to Monaco from these places?
Yes, very easy by local public transportation.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What is your budget for hotels? Cannes may be nicer. The train stops there and then a short taxi to the nice beach hotels. Very nice IHG, Hilton and Hyatt hotels, etc, right on the beach.

Regarding the train, which I take often, I think it is best to wait til you know for sure which train you want. The price difference isn't that huge. Again, depending on your budget.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We spent part of our honeymoon staying in Nice during our September honeymoon. It was lovely and we especially enjoyed our day trip to Monte Carlo and playing tennis on the beautiful red clay of the MCCC.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:34 am
dtc
Original Poster

Well this is March, so I don't think we're going to the beach.

For reasons that are complicated, I bought an Intercon Ambassador membership, so I feel compelled to stay at one.

Currently I'm thinking 3 days in Paris, 4 days in Lyon, and 4 days in Nice area. Does that make sense or is that way too much time in Lyon?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dtc
Well this is March, so I don't think we're going to the beach.

For reasons that are complicated, I bought an Intercon Ambassador membership, so I feel compelled to stay at one.

Currently I'm thinking 3 days in Paris, 4 days in Lyon, and 4 days in Nice area. Does that make sense or is that way too much time in Lyon?
The Intercons are in Paris and Cannes (also Bordeaux). None in Nice and the Lyon IC is still under construction. Even if it is too cold to swim, it's nice being by the beach in Cannes. And it won't be overcrowded like it is in the summer.

As I live near Lyon, a lifetime isn't too much.

If you two like wine, I think a Burgundy wine tour would be a good idea. Too bad you don't want to drive though. But if you Google around you can find wine tours in the Côte Chalonnaise and Côte-d'Or. There are nice castle hotels, boutique hotels, Accor hotels everywhere and some of the finest restaurants in the world. Personally I'd recommend a car for driving around the Lyon area as there is so much to see and do.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Lyon is great if you are foodies so much choice. I enjoyed the small town of Avignon and found renting a car (manual) and driving from there easy to do as was taking the TGV.

As for Monaco not much to see/enjoy in March IMO and no beach time in Nice so I'd not go there and train to Bordeaux if you like wine
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
The Intercons are in Paris and Cannes (also Bordeaux). None in Nice and the Lyon IC is still under construction. Even if it is too cold to swim, it's nice being by the beach in Cannes. And it won't be overcrowded like it is in the summer.

As I live near Lyon, a lifetime isn't too much.

If you two like wine, I think a Burgundy wine tour would be a good idea. Too bad you don't want to drive though. But if you Google around you can find wine tours in the Côte Chalonnaise and Côte-d'Or. There are nice castle hotels, boutique hotels, Accor hotels everywhere and some of the finest restaurants in the world. Personally I'd recommend a car for driving around the Lyon area as there is so much to see and do.
As I live in Paris, a lifetime isn't too much.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
As I live in Paris, a lifetime isn't too much.
+1
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
+1
+2
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Just a forewarning, the South of France is still cold and wet in March. It is a little warmer than the north, but not all that much.

I personally like Nice, especially the old town. It is interesting to wander around the city. Cannes, from my perspective, has become overrated. I remember going there 10-15 years ago and really enjoying it. Today it seems too commercialized.

One recommendation in the South is Arles. It is a beautiful town that has an amazing history, lots of archeology (including a coliseum), and was a pivotal place for Van Gogh. Not too far is Nimes, another interesting city, and you can arrange to have a tour of the Camargue with the wild horses and flamingos. I haven't yet been to Avignon but I hear it is beautiful.

Alternately, you should consider a couple of options in the north. I went to school in Strasbourg, and I simply love the town. It has one of the most impressive cathedrals in all of Europe, and it also boasts some beautiful Germanic architecture. You can also take a short train ride down to Colmar, another pretty town.

Going the opposite direction, there is lots to explore in Brittany. Saint Malo is an old fortress town. And although it is difficult to get to via public transit, Mont Saint Michel is one of the most touristed places in all of Europe.

Thus, I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to the South.

You might also want to take a trip up to Belgium and Brugge. Very easy to get there from Paris, even as an overnight trip.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by oenophilist
And although it is difficult to get to via public transit, Mont Saint Michel is one of the most touristed places in all of Europe.
Mont Saint Michel is pretty easy by public transport if you train to Rennes and then bus from there.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:27 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

My new plan looks like this: CDG->Paris->Avignon (I remember it from European History AP as the "Too many popes" time)->Nice - with day trips to Cannes, Monaco, etc.

I was planning to take TGV from Paris to Avignon and then to Nice.

Does that make sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.