Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avignon or Aix-en-Provence?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Avignon or Aix-en-Provence?

Seeking some advice here.....

We will be in the south of France the second week of November. We would like to visit Avignon and Aix-en-Provence; however, we may only have enough time to visit only one of these cities.

So.....which one would you recommend?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the FT France forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Moving this thread to the FT France forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Depends a bit what you're interested in. I'd probably give the edge to Avignon for the bridge and the palace -- but really won't go wrong with either.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Also, keep in mind that Avignon is the bigger town, with noticeably more traffic, so it may be more of a P-I-T-A to use as a base for touring the outskirts, such as the Chateauneuf-du-Pape wine area - but it's also better located for that. You might also wish to stay somewhere near the outskirts, assuming you have a car.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you are just visiting the town and not necessarily the surrounding area, it´s really a toss up but I might give Avignon the edge because of the bridge and the Palais des Papes.

If you have a car and a few days, Avignon has much more around it. Parking in Avignon is a rather simple affair as long as you use the Palais des Papes parking lot, the entrance to which is near the river on the ring road around the city. It is a monitored location which will cost you a modest sum per day. It might be free if you are staying at the Mercure next to its entrance.

If you are staying for several days without a car, only Avignon has the transportation links to surrounding areas such as Arles, St Rémy, le Pont du Gard, l´Ile sur la Sorgue as well as some of the small towns in the Luberon.

Parking in Aix-en-Provence is also difficult and you will very likely need to use one of the pay lots which are available. Options for quick visits of local sites for those based in Aix are fewer than for those exploring from Avignon.

Either way, in November it starts to get cold and windy and available daylight is limited as days become shorter and shorter. Both towns have great restaurants and whichever you chose, I would stay in the town proper.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

While I realize you came here for answers, you might also want to look at the France TripAdvisor forum. That exact question is heavily covered ( do a search) in several threads over there.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
It's been quite a few years since I was in that area (and in early November), but I found Avignon more interesting and with much more to see than Aix. I was actually disappointed with Aix. And from Avignon, it is an easy drive to Nimes and Pont du Gard.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino

If you are staying for several days without a car, only Avignon has the transportation links to surrounding areas such as Arles, [B]St Rémy, le Pont du Gard, l´Ile sur la Sorgue[/B] as well as some of the small towns in the Luberon.

Either way, in November it starts to get cold and windy and available daylight is limited as days become shorter and shorter. Both towns have great restaurants and whichever you chose, I would stay in the town proper.
All those town will be closed, not much to do in November. They are better off being in Avignon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.