Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris in Christmas during 12/26 - 12/31 - How is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry

Is it worth visiting Paris during Christmas? I am thinking 12/26 to 12/31, that is, 5 nights. Will it be too cold? Is there anything special during the holidays?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tintin
Is it worth visiting Paris during Christmas? I am thinking 12/26 to 12/31, that is, 5 nights. Will it be too cold? Is there anything special during the holidays?
It is usually cold during that period.. Anything special? Not as much as in the US. Xmas is subdued than the US, if you are thinking the Nutcracker, etc etc.. there isn't much of that. Yes the streets are lit but that is mainly all. It is more of a family affair. The big dept stores' windows are decorated nicely but that is all.

The special is that you will be in Paris looking at a beautiful city lit up. Oh yes, last year the Place de la Concord had a big xmas tree courtesy of Nickalodeon, I think.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

92 million kids, and their parents. so the museums are crowded. the weather is much warmer than chicago(above 0 C at night). very short days. great food, as middle of game season. restaurants are booked way in advance.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
It's beautiful, with the Christmas market and lights on the Champs, the wheel etc...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
It's beautiful, with the Christmas market and lights on the Champs, the wheel etc...
Oh I forgot the Xmas Markets, places where you buy dust collectors...

It is beautiful during Xmas, and for that matter all year around, but now with the new city budget cuts, lots of lights are being turned off... There were rumors that the tower will have some light reduction. So I wonder what will happen during Xmas. Though I think each shopping district puts up their own lights.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
We were there for new years eve this past year. . . as most everyone else posted, it was cold, but certainly bearable and beautiful. We visited a few museums and Notre Dame, which were quite busy. As would be expected, the streets were crowded for NYE... the subway was jam packed going towards Champs-Élysées. Interestingly, the police confiscated or had anyone drinking prior to midnight pour out their alcohol, however, once the clock struck 12, it was a wild party on Champs-Élysées. I believe they shut down the subway after midnight, so keep that in mind if you are traveling far from your hotel or flat for the celebrations, we walked quite a long ways back to our hotel.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Wouldn't the Christmas markets be closed from the 26th?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:29 pm
iff

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Wouldn't the Christmas markets be closed from the 26th?
I believe the one on the Champs-Élysées is open through January 6; I'm not sure about the others.

The temperatures are typically in the 30s, although these days you just never know.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Thank you everyone. These are really GREAT ideas. So, between Paris and London, which city is better for tourists during Christmas? I know "better" is subjective, but I mean more enjoyable for tourists. Thanks very much.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

london is also very crowded. the activities of interest to us are crowd sensitive, and london is mobbed. dec 26 is boxing day. everything is sold out. paris is less sold out, but the lines to museums are huge. you can avoid with a multiday ticket. i would go to the south of france. lyon, nice, cannes, or small towns somewhere,anywhere in france. the holiday and new year are a great celebration in most any small town, while both paris and london are a zoo. i had business to transact in london, otherwise i would never go over christmas.

Last edited by slawecki; Sep 18, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
london is also very crowded. the activities of interest to us are crowd sensitive, and london is mobbed. dec 26 is boxing day. everything is sold out. paris is less sold out, but the lines to museums are huge. you can avoid with a multiday ticket. i would go to the south of france. lyon, nice, cannes, or small towns somewhere,anywhere in france. the holiday and new year are a great celebration in most any small town, while both paris and london are a zoo. i had business to transact in london, otherwise i would never go over christmas.
Really??? Have never ever felt it like a zoo. Actually to me it feels empty, most Parisians have gone to their country homes or skiing.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Slawecki, Yahillwe,

I bet if you 2 knew each other in person you would agree with each other all the time and be fast friends .
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MareLuce
Slawecki, Yahillwe,

I bet if you 2 knew each other in person you would agree with each other all the time and be fast friends .
Next time I am in the DC area I will look up Slawecki and invite him/her for drinks.

S/he looks at it from a tourist point of view while I see it from a local one.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tintin
So, between Paris and London, which city is better for tourists during Christmas?
Last year, I spent Christmas week in London. This year, I'm spending it in Paris. Love London, but the city really shuts down on Christmas - there isn't even any public transportation, which was a shock to me as a New Yorker used to transit running 24/7. I knew this when I planned the trip and booked a full day tour out of the city, just to have something to do. The next day, Boxing Day, was better except the tube workers were on strike, which made it difficult to get around. I did not find the city to be mobbed at all, as someone else mentioned.

I'm looking forward to Paris this year, where it seems more likely that I'll find something to do in the city on Christmas Day.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was in Paris on xmas day a few years ago. Most (non-food) shops are closed. But, since food plays a big role with the French, many of the food markets were open--particularly bakeries.
The Pompidou Museum is supposed to be open (most of the other museums would be closed).
The Metro and busses were running.
In the major railroad stations, only a minimal number of fast food shops remained open.
Very few ATMs had enough money to dispense cash.
By the 26th of Dec. things should return to "normal".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.