Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
There are numerous threads on Paris & area day trips including these:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...ide-paris.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...ns-please.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...e-vicomte.html

Versailles is the major attraction I wouldn't recommend missing for your first visit to Paris. FWIW I recently very much enjoyed a daytrip to Reims and would also put that option out there.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Just a word of warning: Nice can be downright miserable weather-wise in the beginning of March. Lots of cold rain, with a slight chance of sunshine. If you are there, I would recommend going into the old town area, it is quite nice. And of course the Promenade des Anglais. The beach is all rocks, no sand, but since its too cold to go on the beach, doesn't really matter.

The other downside of going to Nice is that it is still a city, not really a town, so you have a similar experience to Paris in that respect. I would consider going to another part of the country that had more of a small town feel. Perhaps Avignon for a couple days, then a day trip to Arles? Just an idea.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Just a word of warning: Nice can be downright miserable weather-wise in the beginning of March. Lots of cold rain, with a slight chance of sunshine. If you are there, I would recommend going into the old town area, it is quite nice. And of course the Promenade des Anglais. The beach is all rocks, no sand, but since its too cold to go on the beach, doesn't really matter.

The other downside of going to Nice is that it is still a city, not really a town, so you have a similar experience to Paris in that respect. I would consider going to another part of the country that had more of a small town feel. Perhaps Avignon for a couple days, then a day trip to Arles? Just an idea.
I can't speak to weather in Nice n March, but if the OP really wants to go to Cote D'Azur, Nice may be the best bet. I would recommend a trip up to a hill town or two (I really like St Paul de Vence) and also don't miss the Chagall Museum in Nice. I've been in Nice in December, and I enjoyed it as a city, although it is certainly a city as opposed to a town. Definitely stay in old town, and preferably on the water.

A daytrip could also be taken to Monaco. I personally didn't love it, but I know lots of people (myself included before I went) have a strong desire to see it.

OP could also stop in Aix or Avignon (I prefer Aix) on the way to Nice, since it is the same TGV.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by oenophilist

I've only been to Avignon in the summer, but understand it likely you'll experience the Mistral winds in March. That could provide more excitement than many would like; it's hard for me to imagine living someplace where the average wind speed was 50kph frequently gusting to 90.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.