Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris Apartment Choice. Please help, which would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton

Me and 2 friends are going to Paris for 3 on after we spend some time in Amsterdam for work. We are going to rent an aparment for 3 days since it's a better value it seems. None of us have been. Hoping some people who've been or live in Paris can click on these choices were are considering and tell us which would best for people who've never been based on location. We're also not trying to break the bank. It looks like Paris is set up in "districts" by numbers but not sure what each offers. We are also young and 25 and if that makes a difference in terms of area.

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...turenne-3.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...georges-3.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property/tuileries-4.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...e-opera-2.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...epublique.html

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:39 am

You might find more assistance asking in the France forum, since none of these properties are Luxury Hotels.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Me and 2 friends are going to Paris for 3 on after we spend some time in Amsterdam for work. We are going to rent an aparment for 3 days since it's a better value it seems. None of us have been. Hoping some people who've been or live in Paris can click on these choices were are considering and tell us which would best for people who've never been based on location. We're also not trying to break the bank. It looks like Paris is set up in "districts" by numbers but not sure what each offers. We are also young and 25 and if that makes a difference in terms of area.

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...turenne-3.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...georges-3.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property/tuileries-4.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...e-opera-2.html

http://www.feelparis.com/en/property...epublique.html

Thanks
I would go for the Marais or close by, lively area with lots to do and central if you want to leave your area to explore.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I would look for one in the 5 or 6th arr. Young lots of cafes, bars.

But of the ones that you mentioned, as someone said, the Maria (the one on Turennes) is good, you aren't far from the 11th and that is young and up and coming.

I wouldn't go to Opera, it is dead at night.

I would be a bit weary of the Republic area, most of the demonstrations start there and depending on the time that you will be going, you might be stuck. Not that the demonstration in Paris are dangerous, they are just inconvenient.

I would go back and try to find something in the St Germain area as I mentioned before.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:53 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnnaBeth
You might find more assistance asking in the France forum, since none of these properties are Luxury Hotels.
Good suggestion, I am going to move this thread there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
We are going to rent an aparment for 3 days since it's a better value it seems.
I'm not so sure that's correct as that's generally true for longer term rentals and for something as short as 3 nights hotels might be a very similiar price but offer far more payment flexibility.

For example according to this company's FAQ says the renter may require up to a 100% prepaid deposit that may or may not be refundable as it's up to each owner to decide the cancellation conditions. Compare that to some hotel rates that may be cancelled up to 24 hours prior and an apartment is a lot more money up front for such a short stay.

I would suggest reviewing the apartment plan altogether and recommend instead either a hotel or a serviced apartment company like Citadines where you'd get the benefit of an apartment but be dealing with a large international company with up front terms & conditions so you know what you're getting.

BTW as far as I could see you didn't given any travel dates and that may have some impact on rates and availability not to mention how far in advance you'd be booking what could be a fully nonrefundable rental.

And FWIW having stayed 10 nights in an apartment in late May I completely fell for the 7er so would recommend it as a safe & central district from which to explore the city.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 12, 2012 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tcook052, rentals will always be better (potential) value, regardless of spend

sometimes you can even get hotel residence rentals direct from owner
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
tcook052, rentals will always be better (potential) value, regardless of spend

sometimes you can even get hotel residence rentals direct from owner
Sorry but the shorter the rental the smaller any savings and with fairly fuzzy T&C in the OP's rental company and a security deposit that's payable I just think it's an overall better option to go with a hotel or something like Citadines. Just MHO.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:23 am Reason: security deposit
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but the shorter the rental the smaller any savings and with fairly fuzzy T&C in the OP's rental company and a security deposit that's payable I just think it's an overall better option to go with a hotel or something like Citadines. Just MHO.
I agree and I think an apartment rental in Paris for less than a week is a poor choice. All Parisian apartments have quirks of one kind or another-key, codes to get in off the street, how the phone, tv, wifi, kitchen work, onto more serious matters. Learning all that for 3 nights wastes time better spent seeing Paris and all it has to offer.

Value is measured by more than money.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
All Parisian apartments have quirks of one kind or another-key, codes to get in off the street, how the phone, tv, wifi, kitchen work, onto more serious matters. Learning all that for 3 nights wastes time better spent seeing Paris and all it has to offer.
I am not quite sure the learning process should be that long...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
i have not rented appt in paris, but have rented a number of flats in london. the meet, greet,( wait for show up) and fund transfer typically took 2-3 hrs.

also if not familiar with the area, no one to ask, where is the...............?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Apartments offer distinct advantages (access to a kitchen) and disadvantages (no housekeeping or staff to ask about the local area, need to do your own grocery shoping) and cost advantage is variable.
Yes, Paris is arranged in districts called arrondissements that are numbered from 1 through 20 in a spiral fashion starting from the center. Lower numbers are closer to the center of town, but Paris is not that large and public transport is good and plentiful so as long as you are near a metro stop getting around is easy.
For three mid-20 travelers I would recommend 4th, 11th, or 12th arrondissements. Check out some basic info at sources like this or this
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Whether for a long weekend or a longer stay of up to two weeks, Paris is the one city where I will always forgo hotels and stay in a privately offered apartment. One of my activities of choice is to spend the afternoon at the various food markets collecting items to bring back to the apartment (kitchen equipped!) to serve as appetizers/drinks before heading out for the evening with family and friends.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:19 am

Hi, I rented through feelparis last spring for a trip to paris. We too were only there for a few days and found an apartment perfect. I personally dont like the closed environment of a hotel. As someone has mentioned, the freedom to cook your own food etc is really great. I found the company really helpful as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.