Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Invalides-Versailles - RER C running or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet

We will be heading out to Versailles and planned to take the metro from Ecole Militaire to the Invalides, then the RER C from Invalides-Versailles. However, when I put in my trip plan into the RATP website, a warning pops up that the trip is "interrupted" between mid-July and mid-August (during the time we will be going) but only shows that it is interrupted between the Gare d'Austerlitz and Invalides, not continuing on from Invalides to Versailles.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the RER C and can confirm whether it is still running from Invalides-Versailles and back?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by annesdaughter
We will be heading out to Versailles and planned to take the metro from Ecole Militaire to the Invalides, then the RER C from Invalides-Versailles. However, when I put in my trip plan into the RATP website, a warning pops up that the trip is "interrupted" between mid-July and mid-August (during the time we will be going) but only shows that it is interrupted between the Gare d'Austerlitz and Invalides, not continuing on from Invalides to Versailles.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the RER C and can confirm whether it is still running from Invalides-Versailles and back?
In the worst case scenario, taking bus 171 (which they show as an alternative) could be used, and it gets you closer to the main entrance than RER C does.
Another routing (which they don't show), Gare St. Lazare to Versailles RD (right bank), you have to walk more, but you get to see some of the city itself (you pass a major market, open on certain days--interesting to browse through).
Lastly, from Gare Montparnasse there is a (fast) train going to another area of Versailles, but this requires much more walking to get to the Chateau.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:36 am
iff

As the RATP site says, the train is only interrupted between Invalides and Gare d'Austerlitz; a special bus called "Castor" transfers passengers between those two points, so they can get back on the train and continue their trip. Since you're going from Invalides to Versailles, you won't have to deal with that situation.

Last edited by iff; Aug 9, 2012 at 3:00 am Reason: Sorry, I'm so used to taking the RER C in the other direction that I originally gave the wrong response!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by iff
As the RATP site says, the train is only interrupted between Invalides and Gare d'Austerlitz; a special bus called "Castor" transfers passengers between those two points, so they can get back on the train and continue their trip. Since you're going from Invalides to Versailles, you won't have to deal with that situation.
I can confirm the bus replacement is in effect as I've seen the buses around. Also RER D was having works the other day between Gare Du Nord and Chalet.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I can confirm the bus replacement is in effect as I've seen the buses around. Also RER D was having works the other day between Gare Du Nord and Chalet.
Cheers
Howie
I assume you mean Châtelet-les-Halles with "Chalet"
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WC_EEND
I assume you mean Châtelet-les-Halles with "Chalet"
This is my frenlish cutting in! Btw the RER C bus replacement was a mess when I did it yesterday completely overcrowded.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:39 am

To clarify for the OP, nothing in posts 4-6 above describe any problems for your RER trip from Invalides to Versailles.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet
OP here - sorry to be so long getting back, but for the sake of anyone who may want to know for future, we did the original travel as planned - from metro at Ecole Militaire -Invalides-Versailles and had no troubles. Whatever work may have been going on at Gare d'Austerlitz did not affect the line from Invalides to Versailles. I'm glad we didn't try the bus as it sounds from the post above that it was a mess that way.
Thanks to those who replied.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP here - sorry to be so long getting back, but for the sake of anyone who may want to know for future, we did the original travel as planned - from metro at Ecole Militaire -Invalides-Versailles and had no troubles. Whatever work may have been going on at Gare d'Austerlitz did not affect the line from Invalides to Versailles. I'm glad we didn't try the bus as it sounds from the post above that it was a mess that way.
Thanks to those who replied.
Since you were picking up line C at Invalides, there would have been NO reason to take the bus bypassing the stretch of line C which was under construction.
PS: The bus 171 I noted in my post above, has NO connection with the line C routing, it is a different routing to Versailles.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:23 pm
iff

Originally Posted by nrr
Since you were picking up line C at Invalides, there would have been NO reason to take the bus bypassing the stretch of line C which was under construction.
Exactly.

The work on RER line C is now done for this summer. It's actually part of a 20-year renovation that started in 1997, done bit by bit each summer, to be completed in 2017.

Last edited by iff; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:52 am Reason: slip of the finger, or math error, or lack of coffee... or all of those
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by iff
Exactly.

The work on RER line C is now done for this summer. It's actually part of a 10-year renovation that started in 1997, done bit by bit each summer, to be completed in 2017.
So the 10 year renovation is on track to be completed in 20 years now
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:50 am
iff

Oops, fixed--thanks.

That's what I get for posting too early in the morning!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
In the worst case scenario, taking bus 171 (which they show as an alternative) could be used, and it gets you closer to the main entrance than RER C does.
Another routing (which they don't show), Gare St. Lazare to Versailles RD (right bank), you have to walk more, but you get to see some of the city itself (you pass a major market, open on certain days--interesting to browse through).
Lastly, from Gare Montparnasse there is a (fast) train going to another area of Versailles, but this requires much more walking to get to the Chateau.
There's a bus connection from Versailles-Chantiers to the park entrance by the Trianon Place hotel which isn't a long walk from the Chateau.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a bus connection from Versailles-Chantiers to the park entrance by the Trianon Place hotel which isn't a long walk from the Chateau.
Cheers
Howie
I think there is a big plus in exploring cities on foot--you get to see things you wouldn't otherwise.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.267 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by nrr
Cheers
Howie
I think there is a big plus in exploring cities on foot--you get to see things you wouldn't otherwise.
I agree with this but that isn't an option for everyone so I wanted to mention the bus option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.