Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Eiffel Tower operating only one elevator?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet

The Eiffel Tower website advises that the tower is only operating one elevator through to the end of August, meaning that waiting time will be over 2 hours for those without a ticket. Has anyone visited recently who can advise of their first-hand experience? I am assuming that purchasing an advance ticket with a specific visit time on it means that the wait will be minimal, is that right? Any other strategies we should think about?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
You may take the stairs. it doesn't take much time and they are generally less crowded than the elevators.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Presidents Club, SPG, Mariott,Continental, Westjet
Yes, we knew about the stairs (in fact, we did them 20 years ago), but I have a condition which renders doing them at this time quite difficult, if not impossible. Solution found, though - we managed to snag one elevator ticket and the others will take the stairs.
Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by annesdaughter
The Eiffel Tower website advises that the tower is only operating one elevator through to the end of August, meaning that waiting time will be over 2 hours for those without a ticket. Has anyone visited recently who can advise of their first-hand experience? I am assuming that purchasing an advance ticket with a specific visit time on it means that the wait will be minimal, is that right? Any other strategies we should think about?
We were there in early July. It was a solid 3 hour wait to get to the ticket booth. There was a separate line for people who had pre booked specific times, and they did bypass all those lines. I would say that their wait time was no more than 15 minutes. If you can do that, it would definitely save you a couple of hours of waiting time.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by annesdaughter
Any other strategies we should think about?
Yes, and there is one company that offers a "Behind The Scenes" tour of the Tower and while it's a few dollars mroe than the simple Tower ticket you do get a guided tour and, more importantly, to bypass the lengthy lines. My post to another FTer on the tour is here and I would recommend consider that option but there's always a limited number of space available and they book well ina dvance as there are only so many offered in English.

FWIW I had a 10 night stay in late May a few blocks away from the Tower and often walked over at night and the lines were 3-4 hours as it was down to one elevator then. I was glad I booked the tour and it went off without a hitch.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.