Wiki Posts
Search

Car service at CDG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Delta Platinum, Fairmont Premiere
Car service at CDG

Anyone have experience with an inexpensive yet reliable car service for going from CDG to downtown Paris? You know...the kind where the guy meets you at the arrivals door with your name on a piece of paper? (Ooh, VIP treatment!)

We usually a) don't have any luggage, and b) either take the RER and Metro downtown. But this time we're planning to stay for a couple of days, and are arriving with big boxes. So I figured a car service might be easier than lugging boxes all over heck's half-acre

Any tips about reliable (yet not pricey) car services would be welcome.

Thanks!
T
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
IMHO, you're just as well to go out to the taxi queue at Door 6, which is a few steps away from the Arrivals door that brings you landside.

The car-service driver may not be able to get a parking spot in the drop-off area in front of Doors 4, 5 or 6, which might force you to schlep down a level or two in the elevators with all of your stuff. Not very convenient.

The taxi line-up is never very long and the variety of vehicles is good so you won't have any issues with your boxes. The taxi marshall is usually helpful and will get you the kind of car/minivan that you need. You load up and leave your luggage cart there on the sidewalk and you are quickly on your way.

You'll be charged the usual CDG-city taxi fare (there might be slight surcharge for extra number of items carried), but not the premium that a car service would charge you.

My $0.02.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I agree. Taxi service is really good, cabs are in excellent condition, and I've never waited more than a couple of minutes.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

You know, that's likely good advice. I didn't realize there was a standard CDG-to-downtown fare. (Anyone know what it comes to usually?)

I think I'll take your advice, especially since it sounds like the taxi stand might in fact be closer to us!

Cheers,
T
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
There is no fixed airport-city rate, it's all on the meter, so final cost depends on where you are heading in Paris intra-muros or suburbs.

I have rarely seen the meter go over 55.00 Euros.

Where are you headed ?

The taxi queue at Door #6 is about 20 paces from the arrivals door, on the right hand side as you come out.

(BTW, I'm assuming that you are arriving on an AC flight into CDG T2A, as that is what I have based my suggestions on !)
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
The one and only time I took a cab from Paris centre to CDG I was hit with a 68E fare. I was surprised.

I've taken the RER since then and instead argued with Parisians about taking up space with my luggage.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

We're headed right down into the heart of the city near the Hotel de Ville.

50-70E will still be cheaper than some of the car services I saw advertised.

And yes, bien sur we're taking AC

Thanks,
T
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by anti_ice
The one and only time I took a cab from Paris centre to CDG I was hit with a 68E fare. I was surprised.
Fares can definately creep up in when heading to the south/southwest part of central Paris, in heavy traffic, and during times when higher B or C tarrifs are charged in central Paris (nights/weekends/holidays).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

This is all good to know. I'm hoping by sounding confident about the address and emphasizing we've been to Paris a number of times before, the guy won't try to take us the long way! Of course we'll be speaking mostly French too, which helps.

BTW...

Anyone know of a place in Paris or Champagne that sells cardboard shipping boxes with styrofoam inserts that completely surround the bottles? We have two from BEVMO that we're taking with us and they're fantastic -- but if there's a place we can buy the same things directly in Paris or Champagne, we'll do that instead!

Thanks,
T
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

I did find one car service (ATS) that offered a rate of 55E, which sounded similar to what a taxi might cost us. Much less than any others (although the others were likely more 'limo' service with a Mercedes, and I'm not sure ATS uses fancy cars like that).

Thanks again for all the helpful tips!
T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.