Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards & Automotive Travel in France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Question Credit Cards & Automotive Travel in France

Hello-
I'm planning a trip that will include a fair amount of driving in France. I've of course had the experience of blank stares when trying to use American credit cards without microchips (pouces) and the pleasure of demonstrating how to swipe the magnetic strip . . . and also the dismay of encountering machines where no chip = no transaction. Does anybody know if the péages in France accept non-chip credit cards for payment? And how about payment for gasoline? It's been about 15 years since I've been present for a transaction at a gas station in France so I have no idea how they operate these days.
Thanks, in advance!

Last edited by TravelerMax; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm Reason: italicization of "pouces"
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
TravelerMax,

One of the most coveted FlyerTalk rules, Use the Search Feature is your friend in this instance. By searching the France forum for the keyword "toll" I found the answer to both your questions in this post.

I'll also direct you to the FlyerGuide Wiki article Credit Cards in France, which is a stub article for information such as this.

Finally, note that a microchip is called a puce in French, forcing you to use that nasty vowel that the French so love!

Peace.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:03 am
Original Poster

This is what I get for typing that late at night - my fleas turn into inches. :-\

Thanks for the Wiki leak - good to know that, except for the minimum purchase annoyances, le Ministre is on my side. :-)

And thanks for the reference to the other post as well. I'm relatively new to FlyerTalk and hadn't even noticed there was a search link somewhere - - - I'd been browsing through pages of topic titles. Again, possibly a 1 AM symptom.

Merci et bonne journée.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:14 am

A toi de même !

Be sure to write back with any interesting hiccups you might have with using your card - always good to have as a reference for other travelers.

Peace.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Just wanted to make it clear that you can use a non-chip credit card to pay for gasoline in service stations that have an attendant - there they will be able to swipe the card. Where your non-chip card won't work, as the post linked to by imagineertobe states, is in the "pay-by-credit-card" automated gas pumps.

As an FYI, non-chip credit/debit cards also work in ATMs for withdrawing cash.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Some merchants are reluctant, or even refuse to accept non-chip cards.

Go to well-established merchants to make sure they accept non-chip cards.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I've certainly run into the reluctance / confusion but explained how to use the strip and got it all resolved. I'm set for the refusal bit with the legalese link from a prior response. ;-)

In my several trips to France in the last few years, I've not run into any credit card issues except for a hotel releasing their authorization and trying to recharge while the host bank's computers were down . . . and the Hilton just had to wait until daylight hours in the US to re-run the charge. :-)

I'd just not tried to do anything automotive with credit cards in France before so we'll see how this goes. :-)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Last time I was in France I had a fair amount of problems using my US non-chipped cards in the gas stations without attendants. I would suggest trying to find a US bank that has chipped cards.

If my memory is right, non chipped credit cards are accepted in "les postes de peages" (toll booths).

HTSC
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Last time I was in France I had a fair amount of problems using my US non-chipped cards in the gas stations without attendants. I would suggest trying to find a US bank that has chipped cards.

If my memory is right, non chipped credit cards are accepted in "les postes de peages" (toll booths).
Again, these issues are covered in the FlyerGuide wiki page on using Credit Cards in France.

Regarding US banks that offer chip cards, you can browse this thread:
Does anyone in US offer Visa/MC Chip & PIN?
I believe the current status is that the UN Credit Union (membership required) and Travelex both offer a product, but no other US bank does.

Peace.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Vos réponses utiles n'étaient pas oubliées. :-)

I briefly had a Visa with a chip many years ago but it was really kind of stupid because nobody had a reader - so what's the point? :-)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
They are accepted at the manned booths, but not the automatic ones. Those require chip cards. However in Italy and Spain, the automatic booths accept anything, even Amex!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stimpy
They are accepted at the manned booths, but not the automatic ones. Those require chip cards. However in Italy and Spain, the automatic booths accept anything, even Amex!
Oooooh - good to know. Thank you.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
It depends on the operator of the highway. It seems that each one has slightly different possibilities. I have been able to use AmEx on most of them, but not all. I don't recall a problem with non-chipped Visa either, since you don't have to put in a PIN, but it's been a while. Actually, on the routes favoured by the German and Dutch to get to the south, it would surprise me if non-chipped cards didn't work in the machines.

This page has links to all the operators' websites, in case anyone wants to research a specific area:
http://www.autoroutes.fr/lasfa.html
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
It depends on the operator of the highway. It seems that each one has slightly different possibilities. I have been able to use AmEx on most of them, but not all. I don't recall a problem with non-chipped Visa either, since you don't have to put in a PIN, but it's been a while. Actually, on the routes favoured by the German and Dutch to get to the south, it would surprise me if non-chipped cards didn't work in the machines.
Where have you seen automatic booths in France that accept non chip cards and Amex? I've never seen that. The site you link doesn't say anything about Amex. http://www.autoroutes.fr/infos-servi...-paiement.html

I know for sure it won't work on the A6, and the last time I was on the A8 it didn't but that was a while back.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:34 am

Devises (euros, suisse, livre sterling, dollar US …)
I'm quite surprised to see US Dollars listed as an accepted currency to pay tolls in France!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.