Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for hotel suggestions for Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Looking for hotel suggestions for Paris

I have no idea where to begin with this! LOL There are so many places to chose from and such a wide range of prices. My husband and I are going to Paris for 2 nights at the end of March. I would like to stay somewhere centrally located to the Eiffel Tower and museums and stuff but not pay an arm and a leg. Or would it be cheaper/easier to stay by the airport and just take the metro/rail? There is a Hilton right at CDG for 110 euros a night with free transfers to/from the airport. Sooo....any suggestions? TIA
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Or would it be cheaper/easier to stay by the airport and just take the metro/rail?

Probably not that much cheaper and certainly not any easier. The airport is a good 15-20 miles from the center of Paris. Depending on how many stops the train makes, the trip can take 30-45 mins. Probably a little longer, depending on where you're headed. Don't think that's a great idea.

As for where to stay, what is your budget? Do you prefer a large American hotel chain? Or perhaps a smaller French hotel with fewer amenities?

Here are a couple of websites with some good info: www.paris.org and www.parisnet.com. If you want to be near the Eiffel Tower, check on the 7th arrondissement (district).

One possible idea is check Best Western. The ones in Europe are nothing at all like the ones in the US. Each one there is independently owned and unique. Their rates are usually pretty good plus they are very easy to reserve from the US.

Last edited by gtownguy; Nov 5, 2009 at 9:02 pm
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I want to keep the total for 2 nights to $300 usd or less. Does anyone have any experience with the chain Ibis? A friend said they were pretty nice and a good price. I don't really care about the amenities, I just want someplace clean with a bed and a shower. It would be nice to find someplace with free Wifi so i can keep in touch with family without paying an arm and a leg in cell phone charges. I will check out the Best Western and those websites, thanks!

Oh, as for what area. We want to see the Eiffel Tower, Luxemburg Gardens, The Louvre, The Musee d'Orsay, Champs-Elysees, and Arc du Triomphe. So if there is something centrally located that would be good, but not necessary.

Any other suggestions on what to do/see?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
$150 a night with the weak $ may be pushing it, but I suppose it's doable. Ibis is a big chain, part of the worldwide Accor group of hotels. They own the luxury Sofitel brand as well as Motel 6 in the US. I've stayed at 2 Ibis properties, 1 in London & 1 in Le Mans, France. Very spartan, but certainly clean and satisfactory. Think IKEA and you'll get an idea of what the furnishings are like. Definitely nothing fancy, but if you're easy to please then it should be just fine.

Looks like Ibis has a couple of properties in the Montparnasse area - nothing right in central Paris. That may be a good area for you. It's a very easy metro ride (several lines run there) into central Paris and has good access to the airport. Air France runs buses to Montparnasse every few minutes and it's probably the easiest way to get to/from the airport.

Since you've only got 2 nights in Paris, sounds like you may already have plenty on your list. The only other "must see" in my book is the Palace of Versailles. It's about a 20 min train ride from Paris, but you'll need at least a 1/2 day there. 2 other interesting places - if you have time - are the Picasso museum and the Marmottan Museum which has a great Monet collection.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I have stayed at the Hotel Verneuil in the St. Germain des Preis area. Very close to Louvre and easy walking distance to other museums.

It's rather rustic, but the people who run it are very nice, very helpful. They'll arrange rides from/to airport for you if you wish. Breakfast is included. Very quiet neighborhood. I loved it. Rates, I thought, were extremely reasonable.

www.hotelverneuil.com

I have also stayed at St. James & Albany on Rue de Rivoli. Also reasonably priced, breakfast included. But very nice staff. Sorry couldn't find a link for that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.