Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Wow ! 76 new loans. That is loaning wildly (and generously)
Welcome to the team. ^
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Great on getting grouponS. When I got mine a while back it said only one per person. Perhaps it was just one per person per city? I notice each new link for the groupon seemed to be for dif cities.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Paging Dovster!

Here is a lending opportunity that could fit your parameters ....

http://www.kiva.org/lend/253984

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Paging Dovster!

Not sure what Dovster is going to do but I just made a loan to her.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Paging Dovster!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Originally Posted by Cholula
Not sure what Dovster is going to do but I just made a loan to her.
Certainly you would not want me to be unfaithful to either of these borrowers:

http://www.kiva.org/lend/252879

http://www.kiva.org/lend/187766

The latter, it should be noted, was my first loan and the only one I gave $100 to. I can't begin to think of why.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Dovster
Certainly you would not want me to be unfaithful to either of these borrowers:

http://www.kiva.org/lend/252879

http://www.kiva.org/lend/187766

The latter, it should be noted, was my first loan and the only one I gave $100 to. I can't begin to think of why.
It must have been due to her commercial assets .... or maybe some other assets?

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:35 am

or maybe some other assets?

GenevaFlyer
I believe that the two things which interested me in her were located considerably higher (and on the other side) than her assets.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I just reloaned $175 (up to 228 loans now!) so we are up to:

204 team members
2,572 loans
totaling $78,350

Can we make it an even $80,000 by the end of 2010? If you have any paid back funds, it may be time to get your assets in gear.

JY1024, thanks for the up and up on the Groupon.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 15, 2010 at 5:14 pm
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:20 am

Does anybody know how much those microfinance institutions Kiva gives the money to charge in interest (or who they are so I can do a bit more research)? I would love to make some loans but there has been a lot of bad press recently about those banks charging interest as high as 30%.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by cathaana
Does anybody know how much those microfinance institutions Kiva gives the money to charge in interest (or who they are so I can do a bit more research)? I would love to make some loans but there has been a lot of bad press recently about those banks charging interest as high as 30%.
You can find out who they are by clicking on the information about the person you want to make the loan to. That will tell you what organization will actually give him the money and a little bit about it. You can do further research on the organization via Google.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:00 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hi Cathaana - would be great to have you joining the team here! ^

Please keep us updated on your background checks. I wondered about the same question...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by JDiver
I just reloaned $175 (up to 228 loans now!) so we are up to:

204 team members
2,572 loans
totaling $78,350

Can we make it an even $80,000 by the end of 2010? If you have any paid back funds, it may be time to get your assets in gear.

JY1024, thanks for the up and up on the Groupon.
I just made 8 loans totalling $1948 to get us to $80,298. Now we need other people to get us above $100,000 by year end! These loans are for my spouse's birthday, as I mentioned a little while ago.

The matched donation to Kiva of $395 that I made is especially satisfying because it became $790. That's a good incentive, isn't it?

One area I am not doing so well is recruiting others to our cause, although I'm trying. It seems to me loans and donations to Kiva make great presents to people with just a little bit of interest in the welfare of their fellow man.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExP
This post explains the issue well:
Kiva is a non-profit organization meaning that they are unable to generate enormous profits as you seem to think they are. Just because you think that Kiva type organization should offer interest free loans does not think every agrees with you. If you happen to read Kiva's question page, you'll not that microloans are expensive since each loan is very small but the paperwork is the same as for large loans. Lastly, Kiva itself does not get the interest, it's "field partners" (the agencies that manage and administer the loans locally) get the interest but Kiva requires the interest rate to be "reasonable".

So any profits that Kiva generates actually goes to the local agencies that administer the loans for Kiva.
Furthermore, many of the lending agencies that Kiva lends through are non-profit as well. The following lenders jumped out at me as particularly trustworthy as they are part of World Vision, and thus totally non-profit:
As an example, if you click through to KADET's profile, you'll see that while they charge 35.07% interest, they have a -23.74% return on assets. The shortfall is made up by donors. They're not making money, they're losing money. It's a charity. In fact, the average return on assets (profitability) for all Kiva partners is -1.39%. That's because, as the poster I quoted from Scam.com, it costs just as much to administer a small loan as a large loan, so the % rates must be higher. Furthermore, they're not chasing the kinds of loans that will make them money, but the kinds of loans that will help folks out.

VFC has similar numbers:
38.49% interest
-36.95% return on assets/profitability

Kiva gives this description of the return on assets number:
Return on Assets is an indication of a microfinance institution's profitability. It can also be an indicator of the long-term sustainability of a microfinance institution, as organizations consistently operating at a loss (those that have a negative return on assets) may not be able to sustain their operations over time.
As you can see below, for an organization like World Vision with donations of $1.2 billion/yr, profitability is not linked to long-term sustainability as they are a non-profit org whose whole purpose is charity (and their microfinance subsidiaries are a small part of that). Negative profitability is merely proof that they're not cheating people or taking advantage of them or using our money to make profits for themselves with these loans, but rather that these loans are indeed half-charity. In fact, I believe in microfinance as a *better* way to help folks than handouts. "Teach a man to fish..."

World Vision:
Wikipedia on World Vision:
World Vision, founded in the USA in 1950, is an international evangelical[2] relief and development organization whose stated goal is "to follow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God."[3] Working on six continents, World Vision is one of the largest relief and development organizations in the world with a 1.6 billion dollar budget (2007). The group’s total revenue, including grants, product and foreign donations is $2.6 billion (2008).[4]
I'm a follower of Jesus, so I prefer well-respected Christian organizations, but I'm sure those of other persuasions can find similar trustworthy non-Christian organizations among Kiva's lenders that are totally non-profit.

For the record, I've read a bunch about microfinance (and was even in discussions to start a microfinance organization) and believe strongly in the mission (and worthiness) of microfinance. I've known about Kiva for years and have been meaning to put money with them, even though it's only recently that I've taken the plunge with Kiva.

Last edited by HansGolden; Dec 16, 2010 at 9:57 am Reason: added last paragraph
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by HansGolden
I'm a follower of Jesus, so I prefer well-respected Christian organizations, but I'm sure those of other persuasions can find similar trustworthy non-Christian organizations among Kiva's lenders that are totally non-profit.
I am not a follower of Jesus but I do not care at all about the religious orientation of these organizations. If they help people who are trying to help themselves, I am all in favor of their work and will contribute to it.

(BTW, who persuaded me?)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I just made 8 loans totalling $1948 to get us to $80,298. Now we need other people to get us above $100,000 by year end!
I agree. I think $100K should be our year-end goal! $80K is shooting too low.

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
One area I am not doing so well is recruiting others to our cause, although I'm trying. It seems to me loans and donations to Kiva make great presents to people with just a little bit of interest in the welfare of their fellow man.
Definitely. I ordered a bunch of Kiva cards as gifts this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.