Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:21 am

Thanks again for all of the support! I'm doing another field visit on Wednesday--if you would like to submit questions for these borrowers in Cambodia, please use the comment option on the links below.

Please leave your questions before 5pm PST (California) 8pm EDT (New York) on Tuesday, September 7th or 1am BST (London) on Wednesday, September 8th. I'm leaving at 7am on Wednesday morning Cambodia time--wepretty far ahead of most time zones, it seems.

Questions for Sasfy Ly: http://www.kiva.org/lend/139606#journals
Questions for Mary Les: http://www.kiva.org/lend/151704#journals
Questions for Pov Chhum: http://www.kiva.org/lend/155011#journals
Questions for Saren Srey: http://www.kiva.org/lend/156621#journals
Questions for Aisas Sman: http://www.kiva.org/lend/167654#journals
Questions for Sun Sim: http://www.kiva.org/lend/167672#journals
Questions for Ranny Um: http://www.kiva.org/lend/173509#journals
Questions for Saret Moeun: http://www.kiva.org/lend/173517#journals
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
+1 to the team (and a lender as well). Why I didn't do this when I first learned about Kiva is beyond me. Glad the TalkMail newsletter encouraged me to get on it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Cool

Happy to be part of the Flyertalk Kiva group.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
+1 to the team (and a lender as well). Why I didn't do this when I first learned about Kiva is beyond me. Glad the TalkMail newsletter encouraged me to get on it.
Originally Posted by bajacondo
Happy to be part of the Flyertalk Kiva group.
Welcome to you both!!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:51 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Dovster
I just received the following e-mail from Kiva:

It gave me pause for a moment as I reflected that without being a FTer, it is very doubtful that as both a Vietnam vet and a Jew I ever would have sent money to help a group of Vietnamese raise pigs.
Hey . . . is that Kosher?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Hey . . . is that Kosher?
Probably not, so I just atoned for this most grevious sin by making 4 more loans -- my first ones in the year 5771.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, Enterprise ExPlat
I joined the group a while back, but just now found this thread! It really feels good to help entrepreneurs that really need it! ^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA General
Have been lending on Kiva & joined the FT team for a while, but just made my first loan as a FT team member. Just wondering if we can add a Kiva badge our handles? That will help us identify each other on FT and also promote it to other FTers that are not part of the Kiva FT team yet.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:59 am

Credits have started to come in - I've added some more loans to the FT team.

Decided to go in on one of the new personal student loans Kiva has just started offering. So far these seem to be available in Bolivia, Paraguay and Lebanon.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We are over $58,000 and nearing 2,000 loans, and I have no doubt we will hit that goal this year - soon!

dreamfool, I don't know how to do that - FT has a provision for adding avatars to our profiles, but then it doesn't show them; that's why I have links in my signature. Welcome to the FT team!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 9, 2010 at 10:27 am Reason: typoe
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think we just broke into the top 100 lenders on Kiva. Well done gang! ^
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Recruit five lenders, get $25 credit to lend! And, bicoastal Happy Birthday parties!

FanTAStic! Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I think we just broke into the top 100 lenders on Kiva. Well done gang! ^
Meantime, for those in the San Francisco Bay and New York areas, Kiva is having a Birthday Party! Kiva may just be five years old, but with over 250,000 loans to budding low-income entrepreneurs worldwide, it has grown up.

San Francisco Oct 13 Birthday Party at Yerba Buena
Wednesday, October 13th
7:30pm-10:30pm
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
701 Mission Street

Remarks By
Premal Shah, President
Matt Flannery, Co-Founder & CEO

Followed By
Music and Dancing

Nearby Parking Garages

FIFTH & MISSION PARKING GARAGE
W HOTEL @ 181 Third Street
HEARST PARKING CENTER @ 45 Third Street
ABC PARKING @ 55 New Montgomery
SHOPPER'S PARKING @ 833 Mission Street

Please Note this event is 21+.
There will be a professional photographer in attendance. All images captured will become property of Kiva and may be displayed publicly.

Information and tickets: Link
(Check the attendee list! This will be a fabulous networking event for some of us!)

New York Birthday Party at Royale, Alphabet City
When: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 7:00-9:00pm
Where: Royale, 157 Avenue C @10th St
RSVP: http://kivabday.eventbrite.com

As Kiva's Birthday e-mail says:

"We've Come A Long Way

From our first loan to Elizabeth, a fish seller in Uganda in 2005, all the way to today's 250,000+ loans to entrepreneurs and students on five continents, Kiva has travelled a long road the past five years.

Kiva's success is the result of hundreds of thousands of lenders, who everyday seek to create change in the world. Kiva lenders have empowered borrowers around the planet to lift themselves one step further out of poverty and towards self sufficiency. The countless communities and millions of lives impacted by Kiva lenders is a testament to the power of collective action to bring about great things.

We wanted to do something to celebrate both you, our lenders, and our borrowers, so we're using a generous grant to fund $25 credits that can be used to lend to Kiva borrowers. It's our way of saying thank you, and all you have to do is give Kiva borrowers the gift of your friends."

As well, if you refer five folks who also lend this month, you will get a $25 credit for another loan! This is another opportunity to get the FT Lending Team stats up.

JOIN US AND CELEBRATE

If you make 5 successful referrals in the month of October, you will receive a $25 credit to your Kiva account. It's that simple! A successful referral means that your friends are new to Kiva and make a loan of $25 or more.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just did another one.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loans are now being re paid:- time to lend out again ^.

Statistic Name FlyerTalkers
Number of Team Members 195
Number of Loans 1995
Number of Loans per Member 10.2
Total Amount Loaned $60,850

We will soon get to $65K and 2000 loans. The FT Team on Kiva.
To add to a loan made by by others FTer's click FT loans here. It will list those still raising funds.
Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page). Or just click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:44 am
Original Poster

BOOM! We've made over 2,000 loans - now actually 2001 loans for $61,000! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.