Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Help with Australia's fires (if you'd like to)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020 | 6:54 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Am not sure where to put this to get the most exposure. ( Mods you can decide).

As we all know, Aussie land is facing the worst fires ever. Their fire fighters are volunteers, yes they still get paid by their employers when they are fighting those awful fires. Still their families and other families as well as the animals are suffering. They need our help.

Would you donate even $5?

Would you retweet the above?

If you would like more links to donate I can supply more.

We all live in this planet and at the end of the day we are all bros and sisters, even when we disagree, let's help each other.
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 7:04 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Some other places where one can donate even a very small amount.

Old Jan 5, 2020 | 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
40 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
There is a forum designated for such charitable appeals: "Flyertalk Cares."
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 10:10 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
There is a forum designated for such charitable appeals: "FlyerTalk Cares."

I did check everywhere, and the traffic there is minimal. The last post there was Dec 26, before that Dec 11. I think the traffic there is slow and this is a major disaster imo. But if the mods would like to move it to the abyss then who am I to argue?
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Thank you for posting this, Yahillwe. I hope the mods decide to allow this important post to stay here. I never go to FTcares---this is good info for any of us who wants to help.
So sad.
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 10:45 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Thank you for posting this, Yahillwe. I hope the mods decide to allow this important post to stay here. I never go to FTcares---this is good info for any of us who wants to help.
So sad.

Thanks corky, I thought it was a very important message to share with the maximum exposure.
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 12:22 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks so much for posting this, Yahillwe. I made a donation last week to help the animals and also to the Red Cross but will donate to one of the fire services in your last post directly as well as soon as I finish typing this. This is a tragedy and surely everyone can spare something to help out. Even $5 dollars helps. Thank you for bringing this info to FT.
Old Jan 5, 2020 | 1:44 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Thanks so much for posting this, Yahillwe. I made a donation last week to help the animals and also to the Red Cross but will donate to one of the fire services in your last post directly as well as soon as I finish typing this. This is a tragedy and surely everyone can spare something to help out. Even $5 dollars helps. Thank you for bringing this info to FT.

There is no need to thank me. I just didn't see anyone posting anything.

And now that it went into the abyss, it is gone.

I really tried.

Have posted the same thing in other forums and there was/is great response.

It is only human.
Old Jan 7, 2020 | 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
People are still reading, and may, as I, be putting the information to use. I have friends in Australia (NSW, SA) and have been wondering how I could help - particularly as I was able to help during our devastating fire season in 2018 here in Northern California. (To date, Australia’s bush fires have consumed six times more acreage than the 2018 California fires consumed.)

Another plz e to donate and support assistance to Australia’s wildlife injured and displaced wildlife from the fires is the International Fund for Animal Welfare / IFAW. Link.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 7, 2020 at 8:09 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020 | 5:57 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad that this thread was moved here, few people can see it. The # of views is mainly me checking if anyone is moved to help in any way.
Old Jan 9, 2020 | 10:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Too bad that this thread was moved here, few people can see it. The # of views is mainly me checking if anyone is moved to help in any way.
Perhaps you can nominate this for FlyerTalk News?

It’s too bad, but this forum was established to contain and codify requests for funding support. Unfortunately, there were some that were dodgy or self-serving. And of course our Rules allow you to discuss this opportunity in another forum.

11. Charitable Posts - link to this Rule

FlyerTalk has a forum dedicated to the charitable ventures and activities of our members. It is called FlyerTalk Cares. All posts of a charitable nature must be limited to the FlyerTalk Cares forum. The guidelines and requirements for posting in FlyerTalk Cares can be found within that forum.

Once a FlyerTalk Cares thread has been approved, you may also choose a single forum you frequent in which to post a thread for the announcement and discussion of your charitable activity. Note, however, any link to another website for the purpose of pledging financial support may only be posted in the FlyerTalk Cares thread.
JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Jan 10, 2020 | 12:26 pm

Article on Homepage

Thank you for flagging this as news. You can find the article on the homepage.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/h...australia.html
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020 | 3:32 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBWoaria
Thank you for flagging this as news. You can find the article on the homepage.
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/h...australia.html
Thank you.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020 | 3:36 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And if we keep posting here, the thread will stay on the first page as people search for new posts.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020 | 4:20 pm

Programs: QF WP ALL Gold
Just a point on the firefighters, some will continue to be paid by employers, most will not. Government employees are now getting 4 weeks paid firefighting leave but most non-gov employees wont be anywhere near this and will be well into unpaid leave. Also many are sole traders or own their own business

goverment is allowing up to $6000 ex gratia payment in NSW only (I believe)

hopefully this event will lead to a review of those policies!

other ways you can help, any medical people on here the animal rescue charities have a Wishlist of either expired or in date items such as burn dressings, hypodermic needles etc to care for the burnt animals, may be helpful if anyone is flying in and has access and spare room in baggage- there are drop off points in all the major cities
https://www.racing.com/news/2020-01-...al-fire-relief

a lot of the links are Facebook based and dont work here so if anyone needs more information on this aspect please flick me a PM or tag me on here and Ill try to give more information directly
JDiver and Yahillwe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.