Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

Make-a-Wish Foundation (of America and International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Make-a-Wish Foundation of America is a U.S. incorporated nonprofit organization per the Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3) making certain contributions tax deductible for those paying taxes in the USA. Consult with your accountant, enrolled agent or tax consultant for further information.

They have been in existence since 1980, and their mission is essentially to enrich the lives of children with life-threatening medical conditions by enabling and funding "wishes" the child may express. They are somewhat global in their reach through the affiliated Make-a-Wish Foundation International, which is active in 36 countries on five continents. Together, they have served over a quarter of a million children since their founding.

Make-a-Wish Foundation currently can accept airline miles from members of some FFPs directly: Delta, United and US Airways. For all other airlines, they may be able to use donations of tickets purchased with miles - please contact the foundation for further information on how to do this. See this page on Make-a-Wish Foundation's policies on airline miles contributions.

Please note: the Internal Revenue Service considers miles to be gifts from an airline to its frequent flyer members and as such does not charge taxes on miles earned - they do charge taxes on miles won in sweepstakes, contest, etc. - and does not allow donors of miles or tickets acquires with miles, or awards vouchers, to be tax deductible when contributed to charitable IR Code 501 (c) (3) organizations.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:43 pm

Thanks JDiver for this thread!

Recently a couple events coalesced to suggest the importance of putting things in perspective and putting something back.

While posting first trade in Coupon Connection and during the ensuing "negotiations" happened to shoot a PSA for Make A Wish.

While I've always contributed to various charities, suddenly hung my head in shame for squabbling over a few thousand miles to insure my next precious FC seat, while ignoring others who are less fortunate.

Promptly donated 10k from orphan accounts and will continue to do so.

I encourage fellow FTer's to do the same, 1k or 2k here and there adds up and really helps.

And for those heavy-hitters with six figures a few extra k miles donated will hardly make a dent (in your account).

Toast yourself for a kind gesture with a PDB as you settle into the big chair.

Thanks!

And thanks JDiver for this thread, your miles and WN free flight coupons for Shriners Hospital for Children - Northern California Pediatric Burn Center!

Last edited by tdowl5757; Apr 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm Reason: Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
tdowl5757, great idea! I do have some orphan UA and DL miles, and now I know where they will go! ^

In the past, when I have earned WN / Southwest free flight coupons, I donated them as well (but to the local Shriners Hospital for Children - Northern California Pediatric Burn Center, Sacramento, so parents can fly in and visit their loved children being treated in the burn unit.)
Old May 11, 2013, 2:28 pm

Not to intrude on all the other worthwhile charities, just wanted to bump this. If you have some miles that will probably go unused consider donating them.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.