Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning: No lounge access for OW Emerald flying AY Y-Cl in ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P

Just to let you know:

AY is using the SkyTeam lounge in ZRH, however, access is only for C-class pax and AY Gold/Platinum, not for OW Emerald.

This seems to be a glitch, though. At check-in they point the say the contrary.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Just to let you know:

AY is using the SkyTeam lounge in ZRH, however, access is only for C-class pax and AY Gold/Platinum, not for OW Emerald.

This seems to be a glitch, though. At check-in they point the say the contrary.
So it seems AY has instructed the Air France lounge to not allow non-AY OW Sapphires and Emeralds into the lounge or has been negligent in informing the lounge to also allow in all AY-flying OW Sapphires and Emeralds. to AY either way.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: AY OWE
It was the same in DUS and HAM as well. It least according to my experience during last winter. In HAM got access for myself and a colleague due to a friendly check-in person who stamped the boarding pass even he was apparently not supposed to do that...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
There is a Dnata lounge next door to the AF lounge, that offers a free access to Diners Club cardholders. Just FYI...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:43 am
Suspended

Some airlines make a practice of providing lounge access to their alliance's top-tier(s) elites in the same manner as they do their premium cabin customers and/or top-tier elites even when a contracted lounge is part of the picture. Other airlines don't. Here is to adding AY to the list of airlines -- much like Delta and Continental -- that deserve to be named and shamed for such treatment.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I have heard AY plans to make more use of their OW partners lounges both in Europe and Overseas. Lately, for example, they have switched to the Qantas lounge at NRT and BA Terraces at DUS. These should be no problem to enter with a qualified OW tier card.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Isn't this a breach of OW Rules? Regardless of who actually "operates" the Lounge, isn't it being run on behalf of AY and as such don't AY have to abide by OW Rules.

Certainly the OW website lists the Lounge as a OW accessible Lounge with the usual access rights for OW Emeralds and Sapphires.*

BD

* Together with the usual caveat that access may be restricted at busy times.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BD1959
Isn't this a breach of OW Rules? Regardless of who actually "operates" the Lounge, isn't it being run on behalf of AY and as such don't AY have to abide by OW Rules.

Certainly the OW website lists the Lounge as a OW accessible Lounge with the usual access rights for OW Emeralds and Sapphires.*

BD

* Together with the usual caveat that access may be restricted at busy times.
The Air France lounge at ZRH is not an AY- (or OW airline-)operated lounge. The Air France lounge at ZRH is an Air France-operated lounge that happens to also be an AY-contracted lounge for AY flights. Because the AF lounge is a contracted lounge, AY can get away with discriminating against non-AY OW Sapphires and Emeralds. OW airlines are not required to provide lounge access to OW departing Sapphires/Emeralds at places where a OW-operated lounge is not accessible.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Air France lounge at ZRH is not an AY- (or OW airline-)operated lounge. The Air France lounge at ZRH is an Air France-operated lounge that happens to also be an AY-contracted lounge for AY flights. Because the AF lounge is a contracted lounge, AY can get away with discriminating against non-AY OW Sapphires and Emeralds. OW airlines are not required to provide lounge access to OW departing Sapphires/Emeralds at places where a OW-operated lounge is not accessible.
I hear what you're saying GUWonder: there are times when an Airline will operate a lounge (or have one operated on its behalf) only for the sake of it's own Elites. I imagine this is why the BA Concorde Room at LHR T5 is NOT listed on the OW Website under Lounge locations.

The OW Website also states:

The oneworld Lounge Access Policy

Lounge access is provided on a complimentary basis for designated premium passengers or for top tier frequent flyers with limited exceptions.

The oneworld alliance provides more than 500 lounges across the globe. Lounges are owned and operated by one of the oneworld partners. Some of the lounges may be operated by a third-party (non-oneworld affiliated).

(NB: Italics my emphasis)

The OW Lounge guide then goes on to list which of the 500 Lounges are available to OW Elites at Zurich:

Bellevue Lounge*

Location details: Terminal E, 3rd floor

Opening hours: Daily 05:45-22:00

Operated by a third party on behalf of: Malév, Royal Jordanian
Third Party Lounge*

Location details: Terminal B

Opening hours: Daily 08:00-16:30

Operated by a third party on behalf of: British Airways
AirFrance Lounge*

Location details: Main Terminal

Opening hours: Daily until last departure

Operated by a third party on behalf of: Finnair
LoungeCentre T2*

Location details: Terminal 2 - airside

Opening hours: Daily 07:00-20:00

Operated by a third party on behalf of: Iberia

* At peak periods, access to certain lounges may be restricted due to capacity constraints. Access is available on the day of departure when the next onward flight is with a oneworld member airline. Access may not apply at a limited number of third party lounges.
(NB: Italics my emphasis)
This could be AY's "out" ..... the light is coming on ..... wouldn't it be easier to just exclude this Lounge from the OW list of 500 accessible Lounges - since it isn't??

...I'll get back in my box ...

BD
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I had the impression it's more the way GUWonder describes the situation. Those pax affected (they wanted to enter the lounge right before me), had SkyTeam lounge being scribbled on their BPs. Apparently they were BA Emeralds.

The dragon wouldn't let them in, because "BA doesn't pay". Now this is probably correct if it comes to BA flights or flights of other OW members, who have no affiliation with the SkyTeam lounge. Its certainly true you cannot exercise the "BA Terrace access regardless which airline" right here.

But I think it is misperception that BA Emeralds flying same day AY Y-Cl should not be let in. I guess all the payment is done with AY in this case, even if AY gets reimbursed by BA (I don't know if the do). There's certainly no need for AF to deal with all OW members individually ...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
ZRH seems to be a bit problematic with OW in general. I fly BA with my AY Emerald card and I always have problems accessing the Bellevue lounge. I have worked out the reason for this...

The staff member picks up card and boarding pass, reads Y on BP and interprets as no access.

Proceeds to look at the card, which says AY.

Turns to her computer and looks up AY (and not BA, which is the heart of the problem). This says - AY uses Skyteam lounge in terminal X, no access to Bellevue.

At this point I have to politely advice the dragon to open up BA info and read at the bottom of the page where it says: OW Emerald OK with any class ticket when flying with BA... usually takes about 5 minutes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.