Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C class on MD-11

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: If I don´t have it, I don´t need it!
C class on MD-11

Hi,

I think about taking a MUC-BKK flight on AY in C, cause of current promotion. HEL-BKK is on a MD-11. How is C class (catering, seating, IFE)?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hi,

I think about taking a MUC-BKK flight on AY in C, cause of current promotion. HEL-BKK is on a MD-11. How is C class (catering, seating, IFE)?
Flew HEL-BKK last Thursday. While the MD11 is an old lady now, its a nice plane to be on. The pros for J class are:

I found the seats more comfortable that those on the AY A340s (but sleep well on both). Row 1 on the sides has acres of space.
The AY crew on my trip were excellent - v hard to fault, and the J catering and wine is much better than the rest of oneworld in J, except perhaps CX on a good day. Certainly its a league well above BA, and many ahead of the oneworld weaklings like LA, AA and IB!
The cabin seems to be better ventillated and airier than Airbuses, and the MD11 has those big picture windows - that said, with an almost midnight take-off, you'll nonetheless need it shut to keep the sun out.
The cons is that there is no in seat IFE (there is power - so load up films etc., on your laptop first). Prepared with the latter, I'd fly AY over most of the rest of oneworld carriers.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I do think there is still a pre flight-dinner buffet available at the Longhaul lounge for the late BKK flight. However, be warned that only mediocre wines are served currently at the HEL flagship lounge. Much better ones available on the MUC - HEL and HEL - BKK legs.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Flew HEL-BKK last Thursday. While the MD11 is an old lady now, its a nice plane to be on. The pros for J class are:

I found the seats more comfortable that those on the AY A340s (but sleep well on both). Row 1 on the sides has acres of space.
The AY crew on my trip were excellent - v hard to fault, and the J catering and wine is much better than the rest of oneworld in J, except perhaps CX on a good day. Certainly its a league well above BA, and many ahead of the oneworld weaklings like LA, AA and IB!
The cabin seems to be better ventillated and airier than Airbuses, and the MD11 has those big picture windows - that said, with an almost midnight take-off, you'll nonetheless need it shut to keep the sun out.
The cons is that there is no in seat IFE (there is power - so load up films etc., on your laptop first). Prepared with the latter, I'd fly AY over most of the rest of oneworld carriers.
Can you post a recent long-haul C menu?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by fly747first
Can you post a recent long-haul C menu?
Alas did n't keep the menu, but it included a superb Chanterlle soup, a good salad, a choice of breads, including rye bread, and there was a wood fire cooked salmon dish with lapland potatoes. Pudding offered included a strawberry dish, and ice cream, and fruit, and cheese (note, not 'ors' - if you were that hungry). All excellent.
The red wines included a burgundy and a super tuscan, I think.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:35 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
And we have to remember that some say (which I agree to some extent) that the BKK J menu is the least good of any AY long haul destinations, especially with the midnight departures.

But I agree, within OW AY J compares very well against all others except CX when in comes to food. BA is naturally miles ahead with their newest seat and I also like the new (since 06) LA seat better than AY. IFE is another story but who needs it with the current laptops anyway

M11 is a great plane but noisy like hell..
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
just booked to BKK - fare from LHR was irresistable and I need som BA tier points ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.