Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Some questions (connection time, lounge, layover, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I have never been on an AY flight and hope to get some advise and answers from you. Due to the low prices in J class from Germany to Asia (1500€ return) I am currently considering to book an AY flight. But I still got some questions concerning the trip, I could not figure out:

The connection time between my flight from Germany and the outbound flight to HKG is only 50minutes (as suggested by Finnair). Is that doable?

After the inbound flight from BKK I will be having a 5h long layover in HEL. I could not figure out whether any of the lounges has showers, which I would really like to enjoy after that flight. Any suggestions what else to do?

Since the various information about the J class seats on the MD11 (from BKK) are kind of confusing, I would like to know if I can expect lie-flat seats similar to the ones on the A340s.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY
Hi barney78,

Welcome to FT!

1) Connection time of 50 minutes is enough, some claim even 35 minutes is enough. The airport is compact and you don't need to change terminals, but you do need to go through passport control to the non-Schengen side of the terminal.

2) There are now showers until this fall, when the new long haul terminal extension opens with new lounges and a spa. As for what else to do, hop on a taxi and go see downtown Helsinki. 5 hours should be enough to do that!

3) Seats on the MD-11 are of the Majesty lie-flat seat varierty: http://www.finnair.fi/filecontent/fi/seat/eng/
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:30 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by speedymac

2) There are now showers until this fall
Actually, there is a shower The Finnair Long Haul lounge, access either with AY/OW status or AY long haul J BP (also on arrival), has one shower room. The airside access to non-Schengen area might be an issue after your flight from BKK (depending where/how you'll deplane) but in theory there's that one shower room available, very rarely in use..
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Actually, there is a shower The Finnair Long Haul lounge, access either with AY/OW status or AY long haul J BP (also on arrival), has one shower room.
Actually there are two showers, a Schengen and non-Schengen one!

The Golden Gate lounge on the Schengen side opposite gate 28 does have a shower in the accessible toilet. There is even a basket for used towels, which suggests that you could get a towel by asking from the lounge attendants. Access with the same credentials as to the Long haul lounge.

But I agree with the above suggestions, with 5 hours I'd definitely head either to Helsinki or maybe to have a 2-3 hours relaxing spa experience at the nearby Flamingo entertainment center/spa. Sure beats any showers the lounges at HEL could offer. Until the expansion is complete, that is.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Scandic "bunker" hotel has both shower rooms and a sauna to use against a 10 euro fee. Have done that several times during transit from longhaul to European shorthaul.

The ViaHelsinki lounge and spa will open December 11th while other parts of the extension wing should be available in August.

Last edited by mosburger; Jun 18, 2009 at 5:31 am Reason: sp
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY
Thank you guys, I stand corrected. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.