Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way upgrade 99 € in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by nordic
I just do not understand why they offer better service in charter flights: you can buy champagne and preorder a proper warm meal.
That is indeed a good point.

Taking about the BER-HEL leg that is possible in Y on AB (direct flight) and BT (via RIX). With the present Y concept and J rates AY is about to lose the game within a few months.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:01 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
That is indeed a good point.

Taking about the BER-HEL leg that is possible in Y on AB (direct flight) and BT (via RIX). With the present Y concept and J rates AY is about to lose the game within a few months.
Seems that AY doesn't care. All they seem need/want is full planes (pax+freight) to/from Asia, everything else is there to support that with the exception of few high demand dom./intra-EU routes. The general short haul pax seem to be not that interesting to AY at all..how else can you justify crappy service and high prices, has that combination ever worked?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Seems that AY doesn't care. All they seem need/want is full planes (pax+freight) to/from Asia.
That seems to be the case. Take any intra-European leg (with the exception of HEL-LHR, HEL-FRA and HEL-ARN) and there are only 2-5 rows of J, sometimes with no J at all.

What is funny is that AY takes better care of their Leisure flights with possibilities to book meals, seats etc.

AY's concept might work - as long as there is no Sars, political problems (recently Thailand) and so on in Asia, but preferring empty J seats to paying J pax in Europe is just stupid.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by nordic
P.S. about the current offerings in Y. I just do not understand why they offer better service in charter flights: you can buy champagne and preorder a proper warm meal.
I don't find that hard to understand at all. A lot of these people are going to stay at 4 or 5 star hotels and want a good standard on their flight as well.

OTOH, the average business workhorse running in the hamster wheel in the hope for a piece of cheese, deserves nothing but a fast ride and in the employers mind should be discouraged from unnecessary travel anyways.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
No response despite an attempt at a provocative post?
To me it seems that there has been a significant change in travel: Before business people travelled in business class and tourists in the back, but now more and more tourists want to travel up front while the corporate penny pinchers force business travellers to travel in the back of the bus...
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This weekend I had a HEL-BUD-HEL trip. Both legs were overbooked, so I got both times up-upped on a very-very cheap fare (yes, AY actually op-upped it's own elite regardless of booking class!! ^) Both ways the curtain was behind row 3.

I have to say that the hard product is still good. On the A-321 the C seats are better then the Y seats (2-3 vs 3-3) and there is a mini-seat between A and C, so you don't rub shoulders with your neighbour. The meals are tasty, etc. Still, if I go on my own dime with the missus, I couldn't really justify spending 400€ (r/t) extra on a 2-2,5 hrs flight - that would be more than the whole weekend's restaurant bills!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:08 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
On the A-321 the C seats are better then the Y seats (2-3 vs 3-3) and there is a mini-seat between A and C
Are you sure it wasn't A319? Didn't they convert all 20/21s to slimlines?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Are you sure it wasn't A319? Didn't they convert all 20/21s to slimlines?
Probably it was - it was one of their bigger birds (150+ pax) not those Embraers they seem to fly to most places in Europe these days.

Rarely have I seen 100% loads on AY. (On the return leg even C was almost full, only the E seats left empty (and 3C next to me - don't even there to think the words "seat blocking" ) Lots of transit pax, HU group(s) returning from PEK, JP group(s) heading to BUD - all according to AY's strategy book
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Found this old thread thought I would bump this to compare to the current running short-haul upgrade offers. Made me a masochistic smile...

Again I got another sh upgrade offer for 69€ and the benefits highlighted included lounge, which does not exist for buz tix!

For me the offer felt like an offence, or actually a down-grade from my current exit-seat. The only difference would be the meal: "fight that tiny piece of salad and I dunno what with metal cutlery" in 1A compared to "stuff that sandwich and coffee and take a nap" in exit row

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.