Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft YYZ-HEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Aircraft YYZ-HEL

I am hoping th eexperts here can lend some inshight...

Does anyone have any idea what type of aircraft Finnair was flying YYZ-HEL on or around July 17, 1989? Your best guesses would be GREAT!

Thanks

Steve
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
According to airliners.net pic it was a DC-10-30.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Indeed, the only ac on AY fleet capable flying over the pond at the time was the good old McDD trijet.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Feb 15, 2008 at 11:48 pm
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
Just curious - was then marketed as a 'leisure flight' with only Y-class seating or was it a normal scheduled one with C as well?

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Indeed, the only ac on AY fleet capable flying over the bond at the time was the good old McDD trijet.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by Q400
Just curious - was then marketed as a 'leisure flight' with only Y-class seating or was it a normal scheduled one with C as well?
I'm quite certain that such atrocity as 'leisure flight' has been invented quite long after 80's. That time only proper scheduled flights or charters existed, and the YYZ-flight was most definitely in the printed schedule book... so, must have been a full-service, full-legroom, two-class flight then.

ETA: now that I think back, I recall the leisure flight concept having been introduced to avoid the 'Charter Tax' that was invented by the Finnish Government in 1993, at the height of economic depression and collapsed government finances. By converting the charters to these pseudo-scheduled services, Finnair didn't have to make the passengers pay this extra tax.

Last edited by Pteropous; Feb 16, 2008 at 3:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.