Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about AY's new upgrade voucher policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold

What do you think, was the change upgrade or downgrade from the old days? Generally I think this new system is an improvement, especially the 4+12 vouchers (long haul / short haul) for Plats. There's of course the question about different type of travelling patterns, there might be some downsides for people who only fly short hauls, for example..anyway, interested to hear what others think...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As a lowly gold I don't get long haul upgrades at all. And sometimes it's really difficult to use those europe -upgrade vouchers because I mostly fly long haul or to destinations in Europe that don't have business class. Sometimes I even book cheap economy to destinations in Europe that have business class service just to use my vouchers. But sometimes that doesn't sound very smart Hopefully I'll get plat card some day.

Thumbs up for Finnair Plus that I can upgrade long haul with points even from deep discount fares. And also vouchers are valid for any fare ^
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
I haven't really experienced it yet, but for my flying habits, I don't think it's going to be a major change. I fly mostly direct long-haul from HEL or then connecting long-haul via LHR and CDG, which are often on BA or AF codeshares. One exception are my flights to CPH, but I don't see the benefits of being in J class for such a short flight.
I'll try to use the long-haul vouchers on my next HEL-DEL-HEL flights in September.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:11 am

My first impression is that it is an improvement. It no longer seems to be tied to a calendar year, but your re-qualifying period instead, which for Plat is 24M. That suggests that I can use two years worth vouchers in one if I so chose, although haven't tried this yet so remains unconfirmed.

I do recall when I first qualified to Platinum from Gold around july time in a calendar year, I was given the Plat vouchers for Aug-Dec. Having already used all the Gold vouchers this was of course a good bonus, but in the end didn't manage to use all of them because my travel is not that much with AY. This 'bonus' benefit might still be there, but only those about to move from Gold to Plat or soon to renew Plat can confirm.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaiflyer
My first impression is that it is an improvement. It no longer seems to be tied to a calendar year, but your re-qualifying period instead, which for Plat is 24M. That suggests that I can use two years worth vouchers in one if I so chose, although haven't tried this yet so remains unconfirmed.
Yep, that is the case with the new vouchers.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/* Gold
For gold it is not an improvement since you would get 4+4+4 intra European upgrades with the old system and only 4+4 with the new system. An improvement is of course that you can use the vouchers whenever you want.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kirtap
For gold it is not an improvement since you would get 4+4+4 intra European upgrades with the old system and only 4+4 with the new system. An improvement is of course that you can use the vouchers whenever you want.
Yep, this was my first thought as well and this is true for folks whos tracking period started nowhere near new year so with this new policy all members get the same amount of vouchers, no matter when their period starts/ends.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:09 am

I'm about to get Platinum card during winter, but I can't use all my gold upgrade vouchers before that. Do I lose my current vouchers? My gold period would be until next summer if I didn't get the platinum.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by BlackBird
I'm about to get Platinum card during winter, but I can't use all my gold upgrade vouchers before that. Do I lose my current vouchers? My gold period would be until next summer if I didn't get the platinum.
When this happened to me, I got to keep the yet unused Gold vouchers and was given the Platinum vouchers as well... Not sure if this has changed. At the time the vouchers were tied to a calendar year and as I moved from Gold to Platinum at the end of the year, a lot of my new vouchers expired unused...
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBird
You'll lose all old calendar year based vouchers as their expire on 31.12.2007. If you qualify for plat only well after New Year you should get something for 2008 based on your old Gold status, though..not sure how that goes now but in theory you should expect to get 4 new short haul vouchers for expiry on 31.12.2008 based on your old Gold status. If you qualify before New Year than it'll be clear and just the Plat stuff that day onwards.

Anyway, the new Plat vouchers are valid until the end of you qualification period so they'll be good for 24 months and you'll get them all at once, not at the start of every calendar year as earlier.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
You'll lose all old calendar year based vouchers as their expire on 31.12.2007. If you qualify for plat only well after New Year you should get something for 2008 based on your old Gold status, though..not sure how that goes now but in theory you should expect to get 4 new short haul vouchers for expiry on 31.12.2008 based on your old Gold status. If you qualify before New Year than it'll be clear and just the Plat stuff that day onwards.

Anyway, the new Plat vouchers are valid until the end of you qualification period so they'll be good for 24 months and you'll get them all at once, not at the start of every calendar year as earlier.
For some reason have some vouchers expiring end of this year and 4 vouchers expiring 31.7.2008 (until the end of my gold qualification period). I guess I'll have to expect the worst and book couple weekendtrips somewhere and try to use the vouchers

Last edited by BlackBird; Oct 17, 2007 at 11:21 pm Reason: I can't spell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.