Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

23Kg Baggage allowance in Business ticket.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum

Apologies, I have searched this forum to no avail.
And don't start me on that stupid chat bot!

Your advice please:

We have one of those ('Business Classic') flights to BKK in a few days. (R out and I back). From the UK - (LHR)
This was bought last June when AY were only selling 1 x 23Kg. in Business. As OW Emerald we get 2 x 23Kg I am assured which is workable, but irritating:
We have a dive bag that comes in around 29Kgs. I have phoned AY to ask if we could just have 46Kg each total (not exceeding 32Kgs) rather than 2 cases of 23Kg.
They told me to ask at the gate!!

Previously it always was 2 x 32Kg and reverting now to 32Kg - but during that selling period of a few months it seems 32Kg to most other long haul except Thailand which is 23Kg for some explicable reason.
Would they enforce that on us or should we weigh each bag to assure a max of 23Kgs?

Last edited by Sparkyfletch; Jan 5, 2024 at 6:50 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
Would they enforce that on us or should we weigh each bag to assure a max of 23Kgs?
Not sure what you want to hear, but I‘d prepare to pay the heavy bag fee of 80€ per direction at the check-in desk.

If they wave you through, be happy, otherwise there is not much else than biting the bullet.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:08 pm

You don't say where you're originating, but if your baggage allowance uses the weight system, OWE only entitles you to an extra 20kg.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: AY,CA,CZ
Baggage allowance between 1st of June ~ 10th of Dec 2023 was 23 kg for Business Classic.

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/baggag...a-baggage-fees

Baggage pricing was improved a lot last summer, they have since that reverted many changes.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
You don't say where you're originating, but if your baggage allowance uses the weight system, OWE only entitles you to an extra 20kg.
Sorry I didnt mention - originating from the UK (LHR).
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Really no one can say, I was traveling back from BKK with one of this 23KGs tickets, bag was a little more heavy, about 3KGs more, no one cared, but I way prepared to do some repacking at the CI counter
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
You could try to ask them to reissue your ticket based on the current fares (which hopefully have not moved much) while keeping the same flights and booking class. Thanks to THB and EUR tax, there would be most likely a little change in fees meaning you would pay something small (or get a partial tax refund) and get a ticket with an issue date at a time when the new allowance is enforced. "slightly" circumvoluted approach, but why not
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you Ranskis.
Not convoluted at all and worth a phone call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.