Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

LUMO open doors policy in AY lounges may be ending 1.1.2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

Just FYI

At the lounge today on a FR ticket I was told this benefit is ending 1.1.2024, its funny that they havent announced this to LUMOs or have I missed it?

Not going to be sorry that I did NOT renew LUMO one more benefit gone
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Blame it on me

At AY100 party I asked Head of Plus Pekka why this benefit is not published anywhere.
Pekka asked me "what, do we have this kind of benefit for Lumos"

Then He said, this benefit will disappear tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Blame it on me

At AY100 party I asked Head of Plus Pekka why this benefit is not published anywhere.

oh no, 😀🤣🤣

Its amazing how they water the LUMO status down, why bother flying over 150k?

Okay some of you are all IN and no worries but I just dont see the joy onboard AY anymore over the bare minimum 😀🤷‍♂️ this open doors was fun while it lasted but if a benefit is ending sure they should let people know....
Rokka likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Blame it on me

You couldn't make it up.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:59 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
Just FYI

At the lounge today on a FR ticket I was told this benefit is ending 1.1.2024, its funny that they havent announced this to LUMOs or have I missed it?

Not going to be sorry that I did NOT renew LUMO one more benefit gone
Difficult to announce to cancel something that was never published in the first place..? ☺️
Flythe96flag, mpkz and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
And this guy Pekka does not understand the benefit of this perk? Well, I am not surprised. I think it is a wonderful way of telling your Lumos how important they are. Like, "yeah, you spend half your life sitting on our planes, we're so grateful; but we do realise that sometimes you may be going places where we cannot take you; so when that occurs, feel free to enjoy our lounges anyway; and hope to see you soon onboard our flight again".
vulle, Fims, Flythe96flag and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ffay005; Dec 6, 2023 at 6:41 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
And this guy Pekka does not understand the benefit of this perk? Well, I am not surprised. I think it is a wonderful way of telling your Lumos how important they are. Like, "yeah, you spend half your life sitting on our planes, we're go grateful; but we do realise that sometimes you may be going places where we cannot take you; so when that occurs, feel free to enjoy our lounges anyway; and hope to see you soon onboard our flight again".
and honestly in 2 years of LUMO I have used it 5 times so they are not out that much 🤷‍♂️😀

As a shareholder I am not convinced my finnair is working hard enough to make high spenders ( NOT ME BTW) Happy 😀🤷‍♂️ but evidently looking at the share prices its evident to others too 🤷‍♂️😀
manywhere and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:19 am

My prediction. The Lumo Tier will cease to exist for good within the next few years. It’s just not working.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
My prediction. The Lumo Tier will cease to exist for good within the next few years. It’s just not working.
no need to cease, they just wont offer any real benefits 😀😀😀 they are getting good value out of it tbh if someone flies 3x the plat requirment and gets sh☆☆t in return and is still happy because they are LUMO 🥰🥰🥰😉 been there DONE that 🤣🤷‍♂️
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Not Lumo but I find this incredibly annoying. In my eyes the most generous benefit has been priority security starting already at OWR level, which is quite low for the alliance standard (i believe some OW carriers only give this to OWE even). So I expected that if they wanted to cut benefit costs they would start here. Probably also more savings to be had, with the tier being larger.

But NO they have to touch a top-tier benefit that cannot be that detrimental to them, especially as staying Lumo from 2024 onwards will require serious spend with AY and a scenario where Lumos are mainly flying other carriers is impossible. Why have a Lumo tier if the benefits are not substantial? Well, arguably they never were, but very dumb move to make them even worse.

I swear if AY wasn’t the most convenient road to OWE with my travel patterns… Well, OWE is already a side product for me after switching to only J and F travel.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Blame it on me

Seriously, why would you say such a thing?

Like kauppias said. I think it will be there for a long time. If it doesn't cost anything to keep, they just need one customer to reach Lumo tier to have great ROI.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Seriously, why would you say such a thing?

Like kauppias said. I think it will be there for a long time. If it doesn't cost anything to keep, they just need one customer to reach Lumo tier to have great ROI.

I agree it’s cheap to keep it, but I just feel AY lost the ball with Lumo and it will be axed, I cannot see it driving that much more revenue to AY in the future so easy to kill. No one will care, just give plats more milestones.

People who pay 30-35k€++ for airfares in a year don’t book based on status, they book based on schedules, I dare to guess.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

I agree it’s cheap to keep it, but I just feel AY lost the ball with Lumo and it will be axed, I cannot see it driving that much more revenue to AY in the future so easy to kill. No one will care, just give plats more milestones.

People who pay 30-35k€++ for airfares in a year don’t book based on status, they book based on schedules, I dare to guess.
they book based on schedules and convinience but will they book AY only if there is no extra incentive or will they possibly book other airlines then? 🤷‍♂️
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
they book based on schedules and convinience but will they book AY only if there is no extra incentive or will they possibly book other airlines then? 🤷‍♂️
For Finland based travellers there is very little competition on the market by schedule and convenience if price is no objection.
intuition and Rokka like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 12:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yeah, totally agree.

Either way they go, there's not much positive.
Keep it, with very few benefits is pretty effortless but has the downside of disappointing those who actually care about getting there. But I think the target group of AY+ these days are those who spend on Finnair regardless of program benefits, so it might be enough for said 40 kEUR spenders to get a cool card and nothing more.

Remove it, and admit failure? Send the signal that high spenders are not important? There is some public humiliation in removing your top tier.
You have a good point with the milestones though, I can see how it would be beneficial for AY to increase them as a replacement of top tier. But... what is a 40 kEUR spender going to do with 20-30-40 upgrades? There is rapidly diminishing returns on these rewards.
(Also, there is a very clear risk of bribery situations with milestones that are not flying related. A big difference in getting lounge perks, upgrades versus getting home furnishing stuff, apparel, personal access to services and events, just for spending company or government money. The latter milestones will be much appreciated by a few 40k people and sell a lot of newspapers for Sanoma, KSF et.c).

Anyway, adding the perspective that Finnair works like an state controlled legacy company and that they have cut staffing to the bone my money is still (barely) on the tier staying.

First, removing it takes effort. You will have to change all communication, printed and digital material. All MA (Marketing Automation) will have to be updated. The code base will have to be scraped for references to Lumo, and all bugs after that will have to be fixed. Sure, Pekka seems to be a guy who is good at removing stuff, but does he have the manpower for this? It can't be done by simply issuing a PM and collecting your bonus.

Secondly, where would the drive come from? Who will be passionate enough for this project to get the green light? Who will look good doing this? Who will get a bonus? In many companies of similar statute ideas and actions taken are not always based on customer and/or company benefit, but can spring from personal benefit initially. Is there someone who can define killing Lumo tier in a way that will benefit their position within AY?

But it is a close race and I will happily buy you a salad when Lumo is pronounced dead later next year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.