Wiki Posts
Search

The London (LHR) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The London (LHR) Thread

More often than not, we have newcomers creating threads about basic LHR related things, like why AY doesn't issue a mobile BP in the app or if it is possible to check in early etc. So in line with BKK and SIN, I believe a dedicated thread for all things London Heathrow & AY might be in order.

I'm adding a random number of Q&As to the initial post, with some As missing for now. Let's gather all the needed info here and then later turn it into a wikipost that will hopefully help both new and old AY fliers.

Quick Q&A:

When do the AY check-in desks open?

2 hours before each flight. There are many flights daily, so check the schedule and do your calculations.

I am on the 6 pm flight, but will come to the airport at 2 pm, when the desks are open for the 4 pm flight. Can I check in then?

Yes. They will accept bags and issue BPs for any AY flight departing on the same day.

Can I use check-in kiosks / self-serve bag drop?

Yes, open all day. You can also print your bagtags and drop your bags. This can be done even when the manned check-in desks are closed.

Can I check in online?

Yes, via the website. You can issue a PDF boarding pass and have it printed.

Why can't I check in via the app?

Because. We don't have any real answer to this, but you can circumvent this by going to www.finnair.fi and do normal online check-in there.

Can I access airside before check-in opens?

Yes, by doing OLCI.

I am already airside and need a BP.

Go to the transfer desk. It's a bit hard to find. The passage from the departure hall to the airline desks is opposite gate 23. Follow signs to gate 23 and just before reaching the gate on your left, there is a doorway on the right leading to airline desks and arrivals.

Which lounge at LHR T3 is the best?

Your options include BA J, BA F, AA J, AA F, CX J, CX F, and QF.

I suppose CX F is regarded as the best lounge, but opinions differ. It can also get crowded in the evenings, while the AA F lounge can stay very quiet if you need to work etc.

All F lounges above allow access to AY Plats (and Lumos) and OWEs, while all J lounges allow access to AY Golds and OWSs.

I am on a daytrip and want to visit the lounge after arrival, before heading into the city. Can I do this?

Absolutely, as long as you have your BP for the return flight the same day. On arrival, follow flight connections and show your departing BP at flight connections and the lounge.

After your lounge visit, you can enter the UK by a "hidden door". The passage from the departure hall to the airline desks is opposite gate 23. Follow signs to gate 23 and just before reaching the gate on your left, there is a doorway on the right leading to airline desks and arrivals.

I arrive at T3 and my connection leaves from T5, but I want to visit T3 lounges first. Can I do this?

Probably yes, according to this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35614905-post1662.html
1. Go to transit security at T3 and mention to the T3 transit security person you want to shop in T3 then head over to T5
2. Shop/lounge visit
3. Head back to flight connections
4. Transit bus to T5
5. T5 transit security (no later than t-35 before departure)
6. T5 lounge/gate

Last edited by ffay005; Mar 27, 2024 at 12:59 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

What did I forget?

Also, better directions for reaching the transfer desks from the T3 main transit hall, as well as for finding the hidden door to UK Arrivals, would be helpful. It's been a while since I've used those.
kanamurva likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 3:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
What did I forget?

Also, better directions for reaching the transfer desks from the T3 main transit hall, as well as for finding the hidden door to UK Arrivals, would be helpful. It's been a while since I've used those.
Desks are in T3, at level 1 ("upper departures"). If you arrive by bus, you'll zig-zag level 0 to an escalator to level 1, pass through a "World duty free" and turn a corner.
IME the Finnair transfer desk is unmanned . It might be a timing issue, but on every transfer I've done onto Finnair, the desk is closed and other OW desks says they are not able/allowed to do Finnair boardingpass.

And even the desk is open there is a logistics issue, as it is located after transfer security control, and you need BP to pass security. Best is to have BP before arriving. Transfer sec can accept other proof, like printed ticket or app details if you ask nicely. I think also machines located after transfer security can produce Finnair BP.

ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Sep 14, 2023 at 3:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2023, 8:02 am

How likely you get business upgrade nowadays on 350 if you are using voucher? I guess LHR route business is pretty packed.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by t3nnents
How likely you get business upgrade nowadays on 350 if you are using voucher? I guess LHR route business is pretty packed.
This is really just two days and might be completely misleading, but a few weeks ago I booked a return trip in business with points two days before departure. J cabin was full HEL-LHR on a Sunday afternoon, but half-empty LHR-HEL on a Tuesday evening. Also, when I checked other extended weekends it almost seems more difficult to find availability in economy.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by t3nnents
In my experience, from LHR AY1338 in the afternoon seems more consistent, whereas AY1332 in the morning tends to be full, which makes sense as it is timed better for connections.

From HEL it might be the opposite, but the difference should not be as great.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum
I have upgraded more than 100 London flights with points/vouchers and ALL have been upgraded after waiting list
r2d2 and Puzo like this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Where to eat dinner (especially if upgrade does not clear) before 1338, is CX still the place to go as AA menu has looked nice.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum

Cathay First

Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Where to eat dinner (especially if upgrade does not clear) before 1338, is CX still the place to go as AA menu has looked nice.
CX is very busy at that time, AA should be very quiet. AA isn't bad.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:25 am

There is reasonably new post on this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35588560-post1645.html

AA menu did not look tempting though.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Their website says that LHR has self serve Bag Drop where you can print your own bag tags.. any idea if these are available when desks are not manned? I.e. avoiding the gaps in manned hours between flight times? Thinking specifically about the gap between the last morning flight and the first afternoon flight?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:39 pm

I would be doing T3-T5 transfer in October with 3h layover. Based on BA forum, GF seem to be bad, but has anyone been to T3 lounges before transfering to T5. I guess they are not making that easy but I think I could easily spare 1h (if plane is on time) for lunch at CX and then move to T5.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I would be doing T3-T5 transfer in October with 3h layover. Based on BA forum, GF seem to be bad, but has anyone been to T3 lounges before transfering to T5. I guess they are not making that easy but I think I could easily spare 1h (if plane is on time) for lunch at CX and then move to T5.
I recently looked this up. T3-T5 transfer allows you to visit T3 lounges. Also T5 departure allows that with little extra steps. But T3 departure doesn't let you into T5. I haven't tried this yet so you'd be better off searching the exact procedure elsewhere on this forum.
intuition likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by avermat
I recently looked this up. T3-T5 transfer allows you to visit T3 lounges. Also T5 departure allows that with little extra steps. But T3 departure doesn't let you into T5. I haven't tried this yet so you'd be better off searching the exact procedure elsewhere on this forum.
So basically after arriving to T3, walk to flight transfers and one ends up to main T3 area or is there security between T3-T3? Then after lounging, back to flight transfers and towards T5?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.