Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Gifting Gold status as Finnair Plat benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting Gold status as Finnair Plat benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plat
Gold-card to gift

My Gold-card to gift is expiring as originally set, i.e. end of the month, in two days.

The gift receiver has got 6 months extension on her current Gold-card.

Does anyone have experience, if I can postpone the expiry deadline or can I gift her a second card, or what would be the best way to handle this?

Fresh thinking is welcome!
Old May 29, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Talonmies
My Gold-card to gift is expiring as originally set, i.e. end of the month, in two days.

Does anyone have experience, if I can postpone the expiry deadline or can I gift her a second card, or what would be the best way to handle this?

contact AY plus, they should have extended your current giftable card as well
Old May 29, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kauppias
contact AY plus, they should have extended your current giftable card as well
As far as I remember from March an extension of the giftable card is not possible. Vouchers yes, but not the card.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
As far as I remember from March an extension of the giftable card is not possible..
Yes this is true and confirmed by AY Plus representative. I also have giftable card with different expiry date than my vouchers and tracking period.

I remember discussions on possibility to opt out extension by contacting AY plus. Maybe you can still try this.
​​​​​​​
Old May 29, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB

Call CS and ask in they can gift the card to her. I think we had someone who managed to gift the card this way some time ago.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
obviously things change fast, it was not long ago someone got their card extended. I am surpised AY is not extending gift card validity now as the situation is what it is.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I noticed this "discrepancy" of validities the other day - I thought it was a bug, but it turns out it's a feature.
Old May 31, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Call CS and ask in they can gift the card to her. I think we had someone who managed to gift the card this way some time ago.
Has anybody been able to call the CS (plat number) recently? I have tried several times in the past days, but keep on listening the "..king of the road..." and "..all our agents are busy at the moment, please wait.."
Old May 31, 2020, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Has anybody been able to call the CS (plat number) recently? I have tried several times in the past days, but keep on listening the "..king of the road..." and "..all our agents are busy at the moment, please wait.."
After 20 min wait they replied, i.e. service works;-)
Old May 31, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
My original membership period ends today, extended one in 30.11. When I log in to gift a Gold status card, a following message is shown:
Voit valita 1 lahjaa. Seuraava lahjaoikeutesi vanhenee 30.11.2020 00:00.
Is it wise to gift it today or wait until 29.11? I presume I cannot gift it twice.
Update: I gift the card today. Lets see, do I get another card to gift on 01.12

Last edited by Jaenks; May 31, 2020 at 8:39 am
Old May 31, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaenks
My original membership period ends today, extended one in 30.11. When I log in to gift a Gold status card, a following message is shown:
Voit valita 1 lahjaa. Seuraava lahjaoikeutesi vanhenee 30.11.2020 00:00.
Is it wise to gift it today or wait until 29.11? I presume I cannot gift it twice.
Update: I gift the card today. Lets see, do I get another card to gift on 01.12
My membership ends also today and it's equally extended until 30.11. However, my "lahjaoikeus vanheni 31.05. 00.00"

I even called the CS and they confirmed the deadline today.
Interesting inconsistency?

However, CS told me that the gift receiver has her current Gold period extended and the new period starts only after the current period ends, although the gift was send today. Let's see if this works.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
My membership ends also today and it's equally extended until 30.11. However, my "lahjaoikeus vanheni 31.05. 00.00"

I even called the CS and they confirmed the deadline today.
Interesting inconsistency?

However, CS told me that the gift receiver has her current Gold period extended and the new period starts only after the current period ends, although the gift was send today. Let's see if this works.
I qualified a few months ago and my actual Platinum membership year was previously 01.06.19-31.05.20. Now it is 01.06.19-30.11.20 Platinum status is valid until 31.01.21 Would I get another Gold card to gift on 01.12.20 when new updated period starts or it is done until the re-qualification or next qualification if I am not renew the current status level?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: AY+Plat

That would be interesting to know if you can gift gold card to a Gold status holder and gift kicks in when the current Gold is expired.

Last edited by lento; Jun 1, 2020 at 6:26 am
Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by lento
That would be interesting to know if you can gift gold card to a Gold status holderaholder and gift kicks in when the current Gold is expired.
very hard to beleive that AY IT would be capable of that, we shall see
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I did this once. When my qualification period was reset, I went in and gifted the gold card. I didn’t notice that the validity of the previous gift card was a few months ahead. I contacted CS and apparently that was at least back then a good thing. They had a criteria that you could only gift to a basic or silver. The gift was taken away from my account, but I understood it would never have been processed as the receiver already was gold. Maybe they have changed the logic now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.