Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity, US Dividend Miles, Starwood Preferred Guest, Qantas Frequent Flyer
Delhi Lounge

Is anyone aware of what oneworld lounges are being used in DEL.

Flying DEL-HEL in J on AY next month.

it it saying all affiliate lounges are closed?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It seems there is currently no lounge provision at DEL, the information has been removed from Finnair website and the lounge used by Finnair, Plaza Premium, has been removed from the Plaza Premium website.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: AY Plat
I think they give you a voucher instead to be used at the airport restaurants.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Clarity_
I think they give you a voucher instead to be used at the airport restaurants.
That was the case for me in January, at least: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34953866-post542.html
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: M&M
neon_crossin Please update us on your experience. I have a flight coming up in September.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:22 am

Riding this thread. Hopefully allowed.

The whole lounge situation seems to be some what chaotic overall DEL and India in general.

Abrupt departure of the previous lounge operator, oddly scant information on the future of lounges at DEL and seeing now Encalm lounges with quite limited access popping up makes me a bit worried what the experience will be like in a weeks time on the ground.

Have to spend some time at DEL after arrival from AUH and was hoping to do that in a lounge.

Anyone have any information if this is even possible nowadays?

Could not figure out if there are currently any landside accessible lounges. If I remember correctly there was one previously operated by Plaza Premium but that is no gone.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
It is a year since my last visit so cannot tell for sure but nice handle you have and welcome here!
Old Jun 16, 2023, 11:57 am

Why, thank you! Long long time lurker and finally decided to actually take part.

And no worries. Seems that information on DEL seems to be really scant currently.
ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: M&M
Separate but related topic. What time do the Finnair check-in counters open at DEL?

Cheers,
TFR
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by thirdfromright
Separate but related topic. What time do the Finnair check-in counters open at DEL?

Cheers,
TFR
3 hours before departure, according to the website.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There are at least 8 OW airlines flying out of DEL T3. Wouldn't it make sense to open a OW lounge there? Especially in the current situation it wouldn't need to be anything out of this world, just a calm and quiet place to wait for your flight, with some drinks and snacks available.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffay005
There are at least 8 OW airlines flying out of DEL T3. Wouldn't it make sense to open a OW lounge there? Especially in the current situation it wouldn't need to be anything out of this world, just a calm and quiet place to wait for your flight, with some drinks and snacks available.
India / Delhi airport is difficult for airlines. The only airline that has a lounge there is AI. For exmaple, no EK lounge despite 4 widebodies per day..

I see this also with "AY should focus on India now" posts. It just seems like it's a difficult environment to operate in even if it theoretically makes sense.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by mpkz
I see this also with "AY should focus on India now" posts. It just seems like it's a difficult environment to operate in even if it theoretically makes sense.
Seems to be very difficult. AY wanted to switch from the Sino-Japanese strategy to some North-American-Indian quasistrategy, which for now has meant the start and end of BOM, that's it. I am not all that sure they make money on the DEL route, either. There is a lot of competition and AY has no special advantage, flight length or otherwise.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Foreign airlines allowed to operate lounges in India? India hasn’t really been into that going back at least a half century or maybe even back to before 1959. Except for Indian airlines and government-operated lounges, everything else in the premium passenger lounge realm at DEL has been very much restricted by what they will allow foreign company operators to do at Indian airports beyond just flying. Just try to look at what the Indian government did to the lounge operator Plaza Premium — literally forced it out of business at Indian airports so the government could pick its government-cheerleading favorite to grab that business instead.

The Indian government is on a modified kick of import substitution with government crony capitalism bigger than ever. That’s going to give Finnair major headwinds in trying to do more with India service than it’s already done. Even a bunch of the AY India service was tied up with what Tata would mean for the airline and for Finland. Guess where Tata is today: less needful of the ground presence in Finland than before; and with ownership of an Air India the Tatas and the Indian Government want to see grab marketshare from foreign operators and will do whatever it takes to substitute “foreign” with “domestic”.
Pigeon49 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Foreign airlines allowed to operate lounges in India? India hasn’t really been into that going back at least a half century or maybe even back to before 1959..
Few years ago (6-7 years ago) I had used lufthansa lounge at DEL and there used to be SilverKris as well, no idea about current status.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.