Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The way how Finnair implement the new cabin bag control

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Posting this on a AY plane to Warsaw. I had a backpack and a carry-on bag and when I passed boarding pass control there were a lady who angrily tagged my backpack with a yellow sticker... And the fun thing is that even though on it they say on the sticker that you have to put it under the seat and I did that like a lamb. Still the person next to me just put their yellow tagged bag on the luggage holder and not a single FA said anything about it.

PS: there's not control of the bag weight so don't worry about that.
ffay005, mpkz and jonr405 like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
And here's a report from OUL this morning. Glad I did not have time to post it earlier, as this new thread is spot on – we need a place where we concisely report experiences.

A friend, who is Lumo FWIW, flew OUL-HEL today. AY had posted a dragon just before security control who weighed everyone's carry-ons (AY was the only departure at that time). Everything was weighed, personal item included. My friend was told off for carrying 9.5 kg but was allowed to take it "this time". And reminded that the limit is 8 kg "also for Lumos".
Old May 27, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
My friend was told off for carrying 9.5 kg but was allowed to take it "this time". And reminded that the limit is 8 kg "also for Lumos".
And the new baggage allowances are not yet even in effect...
ffay005, Cupart, florens and 4 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Btw the sticker/tag looks like this.
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by JimFin1
Btw the sticker/tag looks like this.
So same old tags. My bag wears this for over a year now. 😂
r2d2 and FFlash like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by r2d2
And the new baggage allowances are not yet even in effect...
isnt it 8kg allready unless in J?
Old May 27, 2023, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias
Yeah it is.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
Yes. I didn't realize OUL flights are one-class when writing my comment.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:41 pm

I'll be travelling next weekend TLL–HEL. That is a good opportunity to see new restrictions (though I've ticked booked allready). I'll be checking my primary backpack just because I can do that one last time as a silver*. There is no change that my secondary backpack and small sling bag will be over 8 kg by accident. I think I should get a couple of extra water bottles and fill those at airport, just to increase weight and find out what happens. If they are really enforcing that limit, I'll switch away from my local LQC. Even Ryanair haven't weighted my large backpack once. And if Finnair is worse than Ryanair...... I will report what happens.

* I will get gold this year, but most likely at end of the year it will benefit nothing but free blueberry juice and free selection of any middle seat at check in.
ffay005 and florens like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
We just flew out of HEL to JFK on 3 J tix. Lumo, Gold, and Junior status. Checked in 5 bags. 4 of them were 15-20kg range, the 5th was 33kg and oversize. no one said a negative word about our luggage and no one looked at our carryons. perhaps the last couple of days of relative flexibility?
ffay005 and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
the 8kg rule will simply make me avoid Finnair. My standard laptop backpack I travelled the world for past 10 years weight 10-11kg. This is a standard basic Tumi backpack no a wheeled case or something. 8kg is just silly.
GUWonder, Gnopps, ffay005 and 7 others like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
These tags have been around for ages, nothing to do wih the new rules which are not yet in force. If you don’t like it, just remove it, just like those “delivery at aircraft” tags.
My favorite dilemma is what to do when having this label and sitting in an exit seat
mpkz likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
I wonder how they will enforce the rules for duty free shoppings after 1.6 but for old tickets. I Will be flying to OSL and saw very attractive pricing on sparkling liquid + some good red wine and was planning to get few bottles -> I'd reckon easily going over 8kg. So what they will do, cause hassle for which they have no actual right or just ignore the purchases for first 3 months or so as I assume AY has good insights on average time SH tix are bought in advance. Of course, feeder to LH will skew this but I imagine less than 20% of SH legs in Q4 are bought after 1.6.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I wonder how they will enforce the rules for duty free shoppings after 1.6 but for old tickets. I Will be flying to OSL and saw very attractive pricing on sparkling liquid + some good red wine and was planning to get few bottles -> I'd reckon easily going over 8kg. So what they will do, cause hassle for which they have no actual right or just ignore the purchases for first 3 months or so as I assume AY has good insights on average time SH tix are bought in advance. Of course, feeder to LH will skew this but I imagine less than 20% of SH legs in Q4 are bought after 1.6.
Are you flying in J? Otherwise, the weight limit is already 8kg, inclusive of any duty free shopping.
mpkz likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by lkrt
Are you flying in J? Otherwise, the weight limit is already 8kg, inclusive of any duty free shopping.
Ah, maybe I missed this because just read the email "Mikäli olet ostanut lippusi 31.5.2023 mennessä, matkustat alkuperäisellä lipulla ja siihen sisältyvillä palveluilla" in a way that nothing would apply for tix bought before. But is it so that duty free has never been included in the [size=13px]quota[/size], so there is no change, only that enforcement is in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.