Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed baggage compensation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Delayed baggage compensation

Apologies in advance if there is an existing thread.

I submitted a claim three weeks ago for the costs of purchasing essential items when my bags were delayed by two and a half days arriving into LAX. Can anyone offer any guidance as to how long it would ordinarily take Finnair to settle a claim?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:57 pm

Delayed baggage compensation updates?

Hi, just wondering if you managed to get your compensation, and if so, how long did it take and how much was the compensation?
I just arrived VIE from BKK transiting via HEL. 2 luggages arrived safety but the 3rd luggage was no where to be found. I received an sms informing my luggage was not loaded.
Coming from BKK all my warm clothes are inside the luggage. Hoping to get some info what are the possible compensation as I will need to get warm clothes really soon.
(searching online, Montreal Convention says up to eur 1600, finnair website says eur 50 per pax. That is a wide difference)
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What is your final destination on that BKK-HEL-VIE itinerary? As a rule, if you are returning home, you will not receive compensation for delayed baggage.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
What is your final destination on that BKK-HEL-VIE itinerary? As a rule, if you are returning home, you will not receive compensation for delayed baggage.
VIE is final destination, coming to VIE for a week's holiday before heading home to BKK.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:41 pm

So if your ticket is from BKK to VIE to BKK, then you are eligible for compensation. Airlines are usually stingy. Sometimes, they might give you a preloaded Mastercard that you can use to buy whatever you need, but usually the idea is that you buy necessities, take receipts, and try to have the airline reimburse you afterwards. They will probably pay something, but not much.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
So if your ticket is from BKK to VIE to BKK, then you are eligible for compensation. Airlines are usually stingy. Sometimes, they might give you a preloaded Mastercard that you can use to buy whatever you need, but usually the idea is that you buy necessities, take receipts, and try to have the airline reimburse you afterwards. They will probably pay something, but not much.
Where does the Montreal convention 1288 SDR/€1600 limit comes in?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mranwa
Where does the Montreal convention 1288 SDR/€1600 limit comes in?
That's the maximum for lost or damaged baggage . So far yours is only delayed.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
That's the maximum for lost or damaged baggage . So far yours is only delayed.
I see. It was also mentioned reasonable cost of items.
I'm really suffering in the cold with only tropical clothings. We arrived last night where all the stores are closed. Waiting for stores to open this morning.
What would constitute reasonable purchase? A winter jacket? Undergarment, pants, shirts?
There was a paragraph in AY website which says Eur50 for luggage delay. That seems rather low, likely won't be enough for a jacket.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
I see. It was also mentioned reasonable cost of items.
I'm really suffering in the cold with only tropical clothings. We arrived last night where all the stores are closed. Waiting for stores to open this morning.
What would constitute reasonable purchase? A winter jacket? Undergarment, pants, shirts?
There was a paragraph in AY website which says Eur50 for luggage delay. That seems rather low, likely won't be enough for a jacket.
Airlines are awful these days with delayed luggage. I did a one week trip to Mexico last year from the UK and my sons luggage never arrived. All the airline gave us was 50USD for a week. That bought one t shirt and a paid of swim shorts in cancun. The insurance company would not pay anything until the airline gave a me a report to say it was lost/delayed and the airline had a policy that they would not give me such a thing until 5 days had past. By the time I got the letter, we were going home the next day.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: DIAMOND in Life, but BA Gold, FB Plat
My luggage delayed and I bought essentials for 200+ euros. Finnair replied after a week with 50 euros only, even I provided all the receipts. Before I start start MCOL in UK and advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:14 am

Day 2 and still no info. Calling around nobody can give info where the bag is/was etc. Have spent €200 hopefully will be refunded. But if luggage lost and full compensation €1600 still won't cover cost of luggage and content
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Day 2 and still no info. Calling around nobody can give info where the bag is/was etc. Have spent €200 hopefully will be refunded. But if luggage lost and full compensation €1600 still won't cover cost of luggage and content
I hope you get it back soon. I use airtags on all my bags these days and find my bags for them. I have previously located my bag to a room in a airport.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
I hope you get it back soon. I use airtags on all my bags these days and find my bags for them. I have previously located my bag to a room in a airport.
Was talking to my wife about getting a tag during our flight... And this happen .
Old Feb 14, 2024, 2:04 pm

I once waited three weeks for my bag. You will get it sooner or later. In very few cases, the bag actually disappears.

AY is unlikely to reimburse 200 EUR though. Please report back once you have a final decision from them.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:13 pm

Programs: AY
Haven't had experience with AY for baggage issues, but had some with other EU airlines (Swiss, LH, KLM) and usually only got paid half price for clothes items, which they claim that clothes could be used afterwards. They pay full for toiletries.
And then try to get the rest of compensation with CC or travel insurance.
A few times baggages aren't located for a couple of days or weeks but mostly they would be found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.