Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY wants to outsource practically all longhaul cabin crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

According to Helsingin Sanomat today https://www.hs.fi/talous/art-2000009204918.html AY plans to outsource cabin crew on routes to Thailand and "North America", which in practice means the US, but I read this to mean any potential new routes to Canada, as well.

Should this happen, AY will use outsourced CC on all longhauls except DXB, ICN, TYO and what's left of mainland China. Sad.

The article states that AY will try to negotiate with their own CC first to see if they'd accept worse terms and frankly gives the picture that AY is blackmailing their CC.
u01sss3, becks1 and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 2:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, it is in line with current strategy of getting rid of anything that has the potential of pleasing customers...

The press-release actually says they have finished negotiations for worse conditions and are now moving on with the outsourcing plan.

https://news.cision.com/finnair/r/fi...on-pa,c3667834
ffay005, becks1, rt23456p and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Oh, HS is as inaccurate as always. The press releas also talks about the USA and not North America.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Race to the bottom.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Topi's worst mistake.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:05 am
Suspended

It's a shame. AY cabin crew has improved quite a bit in recent years whereas outsourced can be quite variable (HKG I had some good experiences, SIN was mixed). The real cost center to AY should be the 120k median pilot salary.
ffay005 and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:30 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Disappointing. I understand that Finnair isn't in the best situation right now, but degrading the service, what passengers see most, seems like a short sighted decision at best and a flat out terrible one at worst. Instead of making AY worse, leadership should focus on making people want to fly AY by marketing HEL/FI and improving their onboard product (which they seem to have attempted with Air Lounge) in my opinion.
the810, Purjelentaja, Ukki and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:50 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
End of AY as we have known them.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Horrible decision - worst crews I have had has been HKG based crews. Also the outsourced ex-Arlanda crews that were flying to USA were quite bad. Lack of training etc.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I'm not sure if it changes anything, but should we write an open letter to AY to show our support to cabin crews?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
I think this is a way to get the negotiation going to the right direction with the Finnish unions. Current contracts for instance don't allow 14+ hour shifts (at least in a cost-efficient way) which they urgently need for current flight times to Asia.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
And let the strikings begin, first to start tomorrow Sunday.
https://yle.fi/a/3-12679173
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sigh. Any indications what routes this will hit?
No info on AY.com as far as I can tell.

In MMB I have an offer to rebook onto SK on monday morning. I think the offer to rebook is there based on an earlier retiming I haven't confirmed, but I was surprised to se SK offered as an option. I don't partiicularly want to take that option unless the strike is grounding all HEL-CPH flights until monday 3pm. So it would be nice to know really soon.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh well. Next week to US and hoping my luck…
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:49 am
Original Poster

In principle it is all AY operated flights ex-HEL between 3 pm Sunday and 3 pm Monday. Of course it affects the return flights as well. If I were you, I'd rebook ASAP. SK does not have much capacity.

Norra flights should not be affected. I would also assume that outsourced destinations remain unaffected (MAD, BCN, SIN, HKG, DEL, BOM...)
intuition likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.