Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Downgrade Drama

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Finnair Downgrade Drama

I have a Premium Economy flight booked on Finnair in a few months and they have changed the schedule to an aircraft without PE. I called to cancel for a refund as I am not interested in travelling in economy and they refused. All they will say is that Premium Economy may return before the travel date. Thankfully I live in the US and am pondering doing a credit card chargeback as the fare rules clearly state ""THESE FARES APPLY FOR PREMIUM ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE" but as it stands right now 3/4 of my trip is in economy. I Even offered to move the dates by a day but for some reason their staff can't see the same-fare class availability that is on their own website. Is Finnair usually this awful? Any advice Finnair pros? ​​​​​​
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While the "PE may return before travel date" is technically true, it is not a argument. It is plain silly. If your confirmed booking now says Econ, that is what you (and they) must relate to.

One way to look at it is to wait and see if PE really returns. But you indicate that econ class is not acceptable to you, and I would personally react the same way. If they sold a ticket in a certain service class and they no longer are willing/able to provide you with this, the onus is on them.

As for what consumer rights and other legal options are in your jurisdiction I can't say. If the flight has origin or destination within the EU, EC/261 applies and you can look into that. If going with such options, they usually needs to be forcefully pushed as they do not voluntarily admit legal obligations under EC/261.
I would personally explore the "my confirmed seat is no longer in the service-class you sold, please re-route or cancel for full refund" argument first, and do it with different agents if needed.

You did not mention if all seats were confirmed in PE initially and from whom you bought the ticket. IME they have a poor attitude towards ticket sold in one class but seated in a different on parts of the trip. Their website often shows tickets from a Business fare where the majority of legs are seated in Econ. There is a small warning, but it is very easy to buy something you didn't intend. So the original confirmation is also important to check before proceeding.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 8, 2022 at 1:14 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
While the "PE may return before travel date" is technically true, it is not a argument. It is plain silly. If your confirmed booking now says Econ, that is what you (and they) must relate to.

One way to look at it is to wait and see if PE really returns. But you indicate that econ class is not acceptable to you, and I would personally react the same way. If they sold a ticket in a certain service class and they no longer are willing/able to provide you with this, the onus is on them.

As for what consumer rights and other legal options are in your jurisdiction I can't say. If the flight has origin or destination within the EU, EC/261 applies and you can look into that. If going with such options, they usually needs to be forcefully pushed as they do not voluntarily admit legal obligations under EC/261.
I would personally explore the "my confirmed seat is no longer in the service-class you sold, please re-route or cancel for full refund" argument first, and do it with different agents if needed.

You did not mention if all seats were confirmed in PE initially and from whom you bought the ticket. IME they have a poor attitude towards ticket sold in one class but seated in a different on parts of the trip. Their website often shows tickets from a Business fare where the majority of legs are seated in Econ. There is a small warning, but it is very easy to buy something you didn't intend. So the original confirmation is also important to check before proceeding.
Thank you. My original confirmation was in Premium Economy. I've already gone through three agents and chat so I'm just filing a chargeback. They just keep insisting the flight was not cancelled so I have no rights other than the partial refund after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.