Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Rescheduled from a 2 hour to a 17 hour layover in HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum

Hello all, my first AY post.
Glad you are here!
We travel to BKK twice a year October / November and February / March.
With BA no longer serving BKK and QR prices going through the roof (World Cup) we booked two trips with AY in J. The prices and reviews were good.

Choosing good flight times with short layovers in HEL seemed perfect.
First the March return flight was rescheduled, a lovely evening flight to an early am with a long HEL layover.
Then the outbound leg changed so we added a day and decided to stay overnight in HEL at extra cost for the hotel.

Now our November flights have changed this morning from a nice 2 hour layover to 17 hours:
Was: BKK (AY142) 08:15 HEL 15:35
HEL (AY1339) 19:30 LHR 20:40
Now: BKK (AY142) 08:15 HEL 15:35
HEL (AY1331) 07:50 the following day.

This can't be right that I should have to book another hotel at my expense and arrive home a day later with 17 unwanted hours in HEL.
I understand the Russian airspace constraints but both of my bookings were made in good faith and chosen for short layovers which were at time of booking more expensive than the long layover options that we have inherited.

Thanks in advance.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
Glad you are here!
With BA no longer serving BKK and QR prices going through the roof (World Cup) we booked two trips with AY in J. The prices and reviews were good.

First the March return flight was rescheduled, a lovely evening flight to an early am with a long HEL layover.
Then the outbound leg changed so we added a day and decided to stay overnight in HEL at extra cost for the hotel.

Now our November flights have changed this morning from a nice 2 hour layover to 17 hours:

This can't be right that I should have to book another hotel at my expense and arrive home a day later with 17 unwanted hours in HEL.
I understand the Russian airspace constraints but both of my bookings were made in good faith and chosen for short layovers which were at time of booking more expensive than the long layover options that we have inherited.

Thanks in advance.
They've done the same to me MAN-HEL-BKK and BKK-HEL-MAN. Original flights had 2.5 hours in HEL. Now both have 17+. The call centre said they would sort hotels, but they wouldn't give me any confirmation of this. So, it would be a case of asking for the hotel at the transfer desk and hoping they had done it. I still havent decided to cancel and rebook another airline or not. But all prices have more than doubled since I made the original booking. I cant imagine anyone making a new booking from MAN-BKK with such bad connection times.
becks1 and Sparkyfletch like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Pre-covid, AY used to be reliable and they were actively promoting connections via HEL. However, in the current situation they are very much struggling to stay alive. They update their schedules frequently making it impossible to plan anything reliably.

The schedule change gives you some rights. As the 7:30 pm flight HEL-LHR seems to exist on some days, my advice would be to play with the booking engine and try to find dates close to your original ones with better connections than the 17-hour layover you now have. Your original schedule might work just one day before or after. If you find flights you like, call AY and request to be rebooked.

At the same time, you could check out the outbound flights. Perhaps there is something better to be had there, as well.
becks1 and Sparkyfletch like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AY LUMO

Is this Saturday?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Is this Saturday?
Yes Saturday.
Is this a bad day to travel AY?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Pre-covid, AY used to be reliable and they were actively promoting connections via HEL. However, in the current situation they are very much struggling to stay alive. They update their schedules frequently making it impossible to plan anything reliably.

The schedule change gives you some rights. As the 7:30 pm flight HEL-LHR seems to exist on some days, my advice would be to play with the booking engine and try to find dates close to your original ones with better connections than the 17-hour layover you now have. Your original schedule might work just one day before or after. If you find flights you like, call AY and request to be rebooked.

At the same time, you could check out the outbound flights. Perhaps there is something better to be had there, as well.
Good advise ffay005 and thank you.

I will check as you say and I will wait until Sunday as previously I have found that is the only day they answer the phone!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Yes Saturday.
Is this a bad day to travel AY?

At least bad day for LHR connection.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34633962-post2604.html
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Yep we were on the exact same connection from BKK to LHR via HEL; the early AM departure was offset slightly by getting home on the "same day" and being able to get a proper nights' sleep in our bed at home with a full clear day's recovery on the Sunday before being back at work the next day.

Similarly we're trying to work out what to do; do we cut our trip a day shorter and have a full weekend at home or fly back the next day, land late and be more tired...

The schedules definitely still seem to be quite fluid and I'm not sure it makes sense to make any changes until things settle down a bit...
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:46 am

https://crankyflier.com/2022/09/27/f...d-a-new-niche/

Bretts take on the Finnair situation
Sparkyfletch likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:51 pm

I’m in a similar situation and here’s what I got from Finnair:

As the change was made due cancelled flight and you need to stay overnight in Helsinki we provide hotel accommodation for you. Remember to visit transfer desk or arrival services at Helsinki airport upon arrival to get hotel voucher.

Of course we can try to find different route for you free of charge if available. Please call us if you want rerouting due long queues in emails.”

hope it helps
SPBanker and Sparkyfletch like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:44 am
Original Poster

All sorted - with your help, thank you.

They answered the phone straight away and within 7 minutes the whole dreadful 17 hour layover resceduled trip is now a sensible 1:45 with a better BKK departure time.
We just have to depart BKK a day earlier. On the grand scheme no big deal.
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:50 am

Is you new flight with AY?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
All sorted - with your help, thank you.

They answered the phone straight away and within 7 minutes the whole dreadful 17 hour layover resceduled trip is now a sensible 1:45 with a better BKK departure time.
We just have to depart BKK a day earlier. On the grand scheme no big deal.
Perfect! Let's hope there will be no more changes.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Partyzant
Is you new flight with AY?
Yes all AY.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:26 pm

Glad you are here!

Thanks in advance.
Me too. 1 hr has become 17. My TA chased up Finnair because we both thought airline should pay for my hotel. Here's an extract of the airline's reply, where they say Finnair "...will provide ... the (hotel) voucher and arrange transportation to the hotel. ... unfortunately am not able to provide ... the name of the hotel now as this will be managed by my colleagues of operations at Helsinki airport arrival services ..."
Maybe it's worth your hassling the airline, seeing as it's their flight change and not your choice?
Would love to know if anyone has had a positive experience in this situation. My biggest fear, coming off a long-haul flight, is Finnair ground staff denying all knowledge of a hotel booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.